New Linux Box - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Linux Box

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
    hmmm.. this thread is degenerating into an AMD vs INTEL?
    Hmm, yeah how did that happen? I should know better than that.

actually i believe both statements r true.. older AMDs (those slot 1s) run hell lot hotter.. but the newer intels are running hotter den AMDs now as of my experience..
    That pretty much sums it up. The only reason I even mentioned it is that it seems to be a fairly common misconception that AMDs still run hotter.

I'm currently running with an 80ATA drive. Can you see a notable difference in performance between the SATA and the original ATA? I was looking to upgrade that part of my PC soon.

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinOfWonder
    I'm currently running with an 80ATA drive. Can you see a notable difference in performance between the SATA and the original ATA? I was looking to upgrade that part of my PC soon.
    Depends really. Size doesn't make a huge difference. If the read/seek times are very high on the current drive, then you will more than likely see improvements (providing you get the right drive). Also, if you're looking for big speed differences and not so much on space, get yourself a Raptor (from Western Digital). They're some of the best you can buy today.
    Last edited by DSwain; 01-11-2006 at 09:59 PM.
    The Swain

dswain

dswain says it all. I notice a difference on my sata150 drive that I am running compaired to my maxtor 80 gig, both 7200rpm, both about the same price. I prefer sata over standard ide....but thats just me.

and I love AMD but the right board by the right company can sometimes dig to deep in the wallet, so I go with an intel processor on a intel board, both backed by my 3 year warr. With the consulting firm I manage, we have had software vendors in the past pull the "well you are not running an intel processor system" or your HP is AMD and we dont support AMD" so becuse of that fact I have become rather fond of Intel. cant complain, never had a problem out of any intel I have put together or had at home.

I didnt want to start this thread to start AMD bashing, matter of fact I am working on a debian mail server right now, and its a AMD 1.0Ghz 512 ram box.

So please dont get me wrong here........

later tater
    registered Linux user number 371609

SaBaYoN LiNuX DoWnLoAd NoW

Zip Ties = Reef Duck Tape

If guns kill people, then...

Pencils mis-speel...
    Cars make people drive drunk...
    Spoons make people fat...

Quote Originally Posted by DSwain
    Wow, very nice very nice. Intel and ATI aren't really my favorites anymore, but nice HDD choice. Have one myself, and I can't complain at all. Either way, it should be very cool in the end. Enjoy the machine man.
    I have to agree. I've got a barracuda 200.8 drive, and it freaking rocks...
    Registered Linux user #230403! Since March 2001! YAY.

Try doing a forum search or a google search before asking a question. And please don't use HELP! in the topic of your post... it's so lame... Please don't PM me for help-- post a question in the forum instead.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
    hmmm.. this thread is degenerating into an AMD vs INTEL?

actually i believe both statements r true.. older AMDs (those slot 1s) run hell lot hotter.. but the newer intels are running hotter den AMDs now as of my experience..

Anyway... nice box u have there.. though my 2 yr old box might be just abit faster den urs, but ur getting a major upgrade from ur old lappy anyway ..

(my specs are in my signature )
    As long as it within it rated operating temperature, the processor should run fine. Whether it 70 degrees or 35 should make no difference. The hot AMD's Athlon XP i.e. palomino cored, were rated upto something like 90 degree celcius. as long as the cpu was cooler than that it shouldn't make a difference.