Tired of poor hardware support? How do we change it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tired of poor hardware support? How do we change it?

Tired of poor hardware support? How do we change it?

We have our yell at ATi thread which is a good start but they're not the only ones who treat us poorly. Nvidia is doing a real job on us as well. Want a 939 socket board that's not Nforce? Not many around. Not a lot of support for that chipset in Linux at all. And just so everyone is aware, this is not about finding a solution to my specific problem. So what are our choices? We 'vote' with our dollars supposedly, so let's not buy the crap that these companies release. I'll dust off my abacus now cause if that's the course of action we take we'll disappear. The only thing I can think of to do, fortunately I'm good at it, is complain. Loud, hard and long. We can't just roll back and use old hardware.

I have a brand new mobo with no working sound. I do have an old soundcard that I know I could plug in and it would work fine but who does that help? Me, a little. I'm still not getting what I paid for. Stop being complacent and demand value for your money. Yes, I know that it doesn't say Linux is supported anywhere on the box of the mobo I bought. That's no longer acceptable. In fact, if the official stand is Linux is not supported I want to see that on the retail boxes. Don't half *** us with 4th rate drivers and consider yourselves supportive. Our numbers are great enough and our money is just as good as anyone elses, we deserve to be reckoned with.

This is the purpose of this thread. Think of ways we can let manufacturers know being ignored is no longer tolerated. Our numbers are great enough and our money is just as good as anyone elses, we deserve to be reckoned with. Let's be heard. Here are a few ways I thought of to get some attention.

1. Complain on their forums. If something doesn't work - and it truly doesn't work it's not just that you didn't do your part of it complain on their official forums. All of you. Don't sit and lurk. Put the numbers on the board. Even if you just chime in with a "this doesn't work for me as well" it's displaying that there's a deficiency to many, not an obscure minority.

2. Call them! Email them! Do some research and email bigwigs asking why the stuff doesn't work. Call them even. Leave messages with secretaries. You wanna talk with the VP of Technology of some company? If you're good with google and a telephone you can. And I don't mean calling tech support peons. I mean the real employees in the company! Call em! Complain. Happen to have a number for one of these companies? Post it!

3. Buy stuff and return it. Do it to the big chains with their juicy return policies. Don't abuse the product, whatever you bought, make sure it doesn't work to your satisfaction in Linux and return it. Make sure they know why you're returning it. Leave a small post it tucked in a manual with DOES NOT WORK IN LINUX written on it. Don't do this to little guys - unfair and they don't have the voice that the bigger retail chains do.

4. Be vocal in the stores. Ever see someone about to by a board made by a certain company with really poor support? I do all the time. Whenever I see someone buying an ATi card I tell em not to. "I had a terrible time getting it to work on my system!! It was soooooo frustrating! And then Ati ignored me for support!" You don't have to tell these people you were using Linux. That should no longer matter!

4. We need a hardware blacklist. If a manufacturer doesn't support Linux lets make that very visible here. It's the purpose of the board isn't it? Assisting others with Linux issues?

Let them know we have money and we want to spend it on good products!
    Last edited by ions; 01-10-2006 at 06:12 PM.

And I don't mean calling tech support peons
    I thank you for this comment, because I myself am a hardware tech support PeeOn and dont appriate listening to people complain about issues I have no control over.

How quickly would you get fired if you started giving out the phone number to people who could do something about this?

Blacklist. I like that idea it would make things a little simpler if there were a centrally maintained list. It can get a bit daunting looking through the compatibility lists some distros maintain. Just tell me what to stay away from.

On another note. My ASUS A8N-SLI, NFORCE 4, 939 chipset board has been rock solid. No problems with the built in firewire, usb or AC97.

Hmm, you have given me an idea. What about a web site where you go and register the money and product you didn't buy, and then the one you did based on Linux support. Keep fraud down by making it a login type deal with password emailed to address before you can get in. I'd love to tell Cannon that they have lost close to $1K in principle based on their refusal to support gphoto, etc. I simply refused to even look at their cameras. HP with it's vendor supplied open source drivers got my bussiness over Lexmark, Cannon, etc. Money talks, and if enough people took the time to list what they didn't purchase, and word gets around that ATI lost 25K video card purchases explicitly because of lack of Linux support, well folks, money talks. HP, I didn't purchase your lightscribe DVD drive because there is no lighscribe driver in Linux, etc.

hlrguy
    Were you a Windows expert the VERY first time you looked at a computer with Windows, or did it take a little time.....
    My Linux Blog
    Linux Native Replacements for Windows Programs
    Mandriva One on a "Vista Home Barely" T3640 E-Machine runs great.

Well I suppose registering would help keep fraud down. I might suggest to disallow any anonymous posting. Email address verification would be useful. It would have to be a really honest, straightforward but mostly accurate list. How to do that I am not sure.

Anyway. Somethings just flat out don't work with Linux. I think I remember seeing a list from the kernel folks of those type things but don't remember where that was.

Hmm. Odd you should say that about Canon. I have the GL-1 firewire video camera and a S70 usb digital camera. The GL-1 works fine with kino and dvgrab. Once I figured out hotplug/udev/etc the S70 has been flawless with digikam/gphoto.

Your right about ATI though. They are no longer on my buy or recommendation lists.

Hmm, you have given me an idea. What about a web site where you go and register the money and product you didn't buy, and then the one you did based on Linux support.

The problem is you will have alot of people posting that X video card and X mobo dont work and they took them back, when they just didnt know how to set them up. You will need some way to weed out user error vs. no drivers

soule
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

Quote Originally Posted by stumbles
    Hmm. Odd you should say that about Canon. I have the GL-1 firewire video camera and a S70 usb digital camera. The GL-1 works fine with kino and dvgrab. Once I figured out hotplug/udev/etc the S70 has been flawless with digikam/gphoto.
    I know that Canon camera's are well supported in Linux, but only due to the perseverence and dedication of those who built drivers in spite of Canon, not because of them. I inhereted a sureshot and it worked great in Linux, but again, despite Cannon, not because of them.

Even today, just now, http://www.canon.com/search/index.html and put in Linux, ZERO hits.

hlrguy

P.S. They may make super cameras (I love my kodak DX6490 though), that I won't purchase.
    Were you a Windows expert the VERY first time you looked at a computer with Windows, or did it take a little time.....
    My Linux Blog
    Linux Native Replacements for Windows Programs
    Mandriva One on a "Vista Home Barely" T3640 E-Machine runs great.

as far as your blacklist idea goes, thats really a matter of oppinion and experience level some more experience users might be able to get a piece of hardware going on the first run while others struggle with it, when having a blacklisted items may be referred by the wrong sort of user and something that is perfectly supported may get the bad nod just from the lack of a lesser user, that doesnt mean its not supported though and maybe other users would not have a problem with it

as with anything like that, there are too many factors involved and taking someones word over someone elses usually just gets you in trouble, if you had some sort of VERY in depth review process as in, an overwhelming percentage of users find it incompatible, thats fine, but if you have 10 users who have it working with little trouble as compared to their respective abilities than the gripes of the others is wrong and claiming something as broken would be false

as with anything hardware, you HAVE to do your homework prior to purchase and only purchase what you believe is within your own capabilities since you are the root of the support for it

If something turns out to be exceedingly complicated to install then isn't that going to be as bad as it not working for all but the most knowledgable or persistant. I have stuff I know could work, but doesn't because I either don't know how or have given up. For example my build in soundcards optical output. Life too short to spend configuring every night.

I share everyones grievances on this.

I think making a "what works list" would be more valuable than a "what dosen't work list." I know I would be more apt to look at the first one. Like dkeav said, a hardware blacklist may not be a good idea because some users are better at getting hardware to work than others. If you are going to start a list of any kind you have to make sure people are very specific about whats going on. They should list their distro, thier kernel. They should if possiable list all the errors they recieve and what they've tried to do to fix it. Of course no list will ever be perfect because people make mistakes, but a torrerable list is better than no list, in my opinion anyway. As soulestream said there should also be a way to list wether or not drivers actually exist in Linux for the hardware as opposed to just not being able to get the drivers to work.

If someone makes a list it should be easily found. I know that might sound silly, but I always find it very difficult to find any kind of list at all. Alot of lists I have found are on forums, and Google dosen't seem to register those very well. Perhaps a site devoted entriely to what works and dosent work would be best. Something google, yahoo, and even MSN would easily find. On my blog I post all my hardware troubles with linux. I honestly haven't had very many yet. But like most people I am very aware of how few people actually look at blog much less read it. So thats obviously not the answer.

there's already one of those... http://linuxcompatible.org
    It has always seemed a bit out of date to me, though...
    EDIT: WHAT?!? You now have to register to search the compatability database?!?!?
    nevermind, linuxcompatible just lost my Seal of Approval
    Last edited by je_fro; 01-11-2006 at 02:55 PM.
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

ive found searching the commments section on newegg can be helpful. If you have 4 people give it thumbs up with Linux, you are probably safe. If one says it doesnt work, I start googling. That helps cover the "user error" problem.

soule
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

2. Call them! Email them! Do some research and email bigwigs asking why the stuff doesn't work. Call them even. Leave messages with secretaries. You wanna talk with the VP of Technology of some company? If you're good with google and a telephone you can. And I don't mean calling tech support peons. I mean the real employees in the company! Call em! Complain. Happen to have a number for one of these companies? Post it!
    Agred! Theres nothing like angry emails and phone calls

Quote Originally Posted by ions
    How quickly would you get fired if you started giving out the phone number to people who could do something about this?
    I can say with authority very quickly, most likely. If the people involved have any authority to make decisions regarding OS support, they probably have some kind of power to drop people.

I'm on board with dannybunkins, because I have, and am in some respects, still a tech support peon, and it does no good to get on those people's case.

Ring! Hello, tech support? You morons need to get on it and write a driver for my sound card!!!!

Yeah, I'll get our devs on that immediately . However, if a large enough customer base, or a large enough customer expressed that need, watch how much more quickly things move.
    Registered Linux user #230403! Since March 2001! YAY.

Try doing a forum search or a google search before asking a question. And please don't use HELP! in the topic of your post... it's so lame... Please don't PM me for help-- post a question in the forum instead.