DVD-RW - How old is too old?

Thread: DVD-RW - How old is too old?

DVD-RW - How old is too old?

Im thinking about upgrading my old PII server with a newer machine I have lying around.

The current unit is a PII 400, 256 RAM.

The new(er) unit is a Athlon 950, 640 RAM.

While the extra speed would be nice, the main thing would be so I can backup to DVD, without having to backup across the network, like I do now. Most of the manufacturer's minimum requirements are P4-1.3Ghz. I did some googling and read where some people say they can burn at lower speeds and have used PII/PIII etc.

Has anyone had any success with older machines and DVD burning?

The computer will not have a WM/DE.

soule
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

I don't see why a machine with your specs couldn't do it. What is the speed on the RAM? 100mhz? I've never tried it, but I assume that you could do it, if not at a lower speed.
    Registered Linux user #230403! Since March 2001! YAY.

Try doing a forum search or a google search before asking a question. And please don't use HELP! in the topic of your post... it's so lame... Please don't PM me for help-- post a question in the forum instead.

What is the speed on the RAM? 100mhz?

soule
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag