usb insmod problem

Thread: usb insmod problem

Resolved -- usb insmod problem

I've installed slackware 10.1 on a friends machine. Everything works fine except when I tried to install a HP 3940v printer. I noticed their was no usb modules loaded, so I did a insmod uhci and her usb mouse stopped working. I rebooted and tried to insmod every usb controller module one by one, all with the same result... the mouse just stops working. I've even tried to install the printer on my machine (also a slack 10.1 install) and got it to work fine. Other info that may be relevent:

On her machine there is no /proc/bus/usb like there is on my machine.

I've also loaded usbcore before any other module.

hotplug was disabled by default, I enabled it but the computer would boot with a cursor but you couldn't move it so I again disabled it.

Any other info you guys need to help just let me know. I'm not in front of it now, but I could get back to it asap.

Thanks
    Last edited by kidsleep; 01-12-2006 at 09:07 PM.

sounds like a udev problem, try using modprobe over insmod, since the modules probably exist for the kernel they just need loaded, rather than inserted into the kernel

Thanks for the reply. I looked up udev online and it says it uses a 2.6 kernel. I installed the 2.4.29 kernel in my friends machine. Would this make a difference? Any links you can give me on udev?

Thanks again.

udev is for 2.6 kernels...have you tried modprobe instead of insmod?

http://webpages.charter.net/decibels...imer.html#UDEV
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

I'm not there right now, but I will. Just to get me straight, I should try a 'modprobe usbcore' then 'modprobe uhci' In that order correct?

It doesn't matter. The modprobe script will load whatever else is required for each of them.

--Andrew Morton on RMS

Quote Originally Posted by kidsleep
    I noticed their was no usb modules loaded,
    Then how could the USB mouse work? If no USB support was in the kernel at all, it should not have been possible to use a USB mouse.

Unless perhaps the BIOS was set to do USB emulation for the mouse? This way, it would appear to any OS that didn't have USB support that the mouse was a plain old PS/2 version. But once USB support turns on, the mouse turns off until a mouse driver gets loaded. If you think that might be it, then after loading uhci, try loading hid and/or mousedev (hid first, and then mousedev if hid alone doesn't work); you should get a /dev/input/mice device file. "cat" that file and move the mouse; you should see garbage on the screen. Ctrl-C to exit the cat process.

Then, if the mouse still doesn't move the pointer on the screen, reconfigure your X server so that it gets its mouse input from /dev/input/mice. But I suspect that loading hid and/or mousedev will make it work, because most distros seem to look for mouse stuff at /dev/input/mice already.

whoops wrong thread
    Last edited by je_fro; 01-12-2006 at 09:44 PM.

--Andrew Morton on RMS

I replaced the mouse line in xorg.conf with /dev/input/mice as bwkaz suggested and everything is working smooth! Thanks sooo much guys.