my german is no good

Thread: my german is no good

my german is no good

I had an iso problem, but...I installed cdburnerxp pro, and it seemed to work. Here is the kicker. the disk loads, seems to be working properly, a few screens pass something about partitions and then I get to a dos screen I type dir and then the promt that ends in exe. seems to be going smoothly (as far as I know) but the next screen is in f#$@@*g German. the file was knoppix_V4.0.2CD-2005-09-23.iso This is the second time That I have had to download this damn 700000mb file, and I don't want to do it again.
    thanks ahead of time, mp.

Talking Sounds like you got a german knoppix iso

What exactly seems to be the problem? Is the german from the booted knoppix drive, or your cdburning software? I'd use one of the EN images from here:
    http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/
    Last edited by je_fro; 02-03-2006 at 07:01 PM.
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

Knoppix is from Germany and it always provides support for the US language. Not knowing to activate the US language part isn't a Knoppix problem.

I really think we have to be mindful of Linux being an international system. The last time I checked the systems in my box they were represented by over 30 countries.

Personally I think it is jolly decent that many foreign distros provide an english language support.

Wouldn't it be nice to have something common to share between ourselves and Syrians (Arabian Linux), Turks (Padus Linux) and Iraians (Parsix Linux)? It is still Bash, KDE and Gnome to everybody.
    Last edited by saikee; 02-04-2006 at 07:33 PM.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

If you need help translating, my German is quite servicable. Let me know what it says, and I'll do my best.
    "If saving money is wrong, I don't wanna be right." -W. Shatner

And I am a native German speaker.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

If your problem is occuring when trying to boot the iso, type (no quotes) "knoppix lang=us". There are several knoppix cheat codes relating to language. I downloaded one of the eariler knoppix isos without looking at the language. I just used the cheat code, and it's no problem, assuming you remember to do it at boot every time.

Learn German, thats what I did.