HP Deskjet 5740

Thread: HP Deskjet 5740

HP Deskjet 5740

I have a question.. I currently have a Epson C84 (Piece of s*(&) and it does work with Nix if it works.
    I plan to buy a HP Deskjet 5740 to replace it.. it has great reviews for a sub-100 buck printer but I am questioning Linux compatitability.
    I run Mandriva Linux 2005.
    Thanks...

It works fine, but you must get the driver from linuxprinting.org
    Feel free to PM me for help

Using PCLinuxos 2007 on my laptop and 2009 on my Desktop and proud of it!

Desktop:
    AMD Phenom II x2 545 3GB DDR2 RAM 500GB SATA,250GB SATA, 250GB IDE, ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 DDR3
    Laptop:
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 (2.2) 2GB RAM, 160GB Sata HDD, nVidia 8600GM 512MB

Please come back and tell us if your problem is solved, it may help others, and stop us from wondering what happened.

I got the printer to work....

Thanks for the reply.. but I didn't have to download any drivers. All I did was go to Mandrake Control to add new printer. It auto detected my Deskjet 5740 without a hitch! Maybe because my Mandriva LE2005 is all up to date
    Linux beats the **** out of windows when it comes to driver detection in my opinion! --- NO CD's needed to detect the driver (like what I had to do on the W2K side.)
    And there's another good reason to run the CD Linux'es. I recently fixed a pal of mine's Ethernet connection for his XP machine. I poped in Knoppix and found out exactly what Ethernet card he had in his PC (so I wouldn't have to open the box).
    so..... we downloded the driver for his linksys card via Linux (mozilla).. saved on floppy.. booted back in XP. installed driver.. prob solved )
    Linux can be used as a savior in cases like that.