Palm vs. PocketPC

Thread: Palm vs. PocketPC

Palm vs. PocketPC

I'm about to buy a PDA and I want to know how well palms or pocketpcs work with linux. I've been using a handspring visor for ~7yrs now, so I have a feel for working w/ palms. A quick google search gives me tons of news stories about running linux on a pocketpc, but nothing about how well it connects to one. For lack of knowledge i'm gonna default to palm but can anyone else give me some info?
    `Only dead fish swim with the stream. . .

Go for the Palm. Native support even with Kontact and Evolution. Trying to get the Pocketpc to syncronise is rather complicated...
    Feel free to PM me for help

Using PCLinuxos 2007 on my laptop and 2009 on my Desktop and proud of it!

Desktop:
    AMD Phenom II x2 545 3GB DDR2 RAM 500GB SATA,250GB SATA, 250GB IDE, ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 DDR3
    Laptop:
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 (2.2) 2GB RAM, 160GB Sata HDD, nVidia 8600GM 512MB

Please come back and tell us if your problem is solved, it may help others, and stop us from wondering what happened.

I have had 2 pda phones my first was a kyocera 6035 and now I run a Samsung i500, both are palm based and I have never had much touble getting them to sync under linux. Lots of documentation around to help. But it looks like palm based PDA phones are being dropped by most major maufactures for the windows based models.

I'd say go for the palm based for ease of use, but unfortumately for me it looks like my next upgrade will be a windows based smart phone. Unless Sprint deciedes to pick up the kyocera 7135, but that probably wont happen.
    Check out my ebay auction for my signature space on JLC.

Hey if people can sell advertising space on thier bodies, I figure I can make $.02 on my signature space.

thx for the advice, I was happy w/ my palm so I'll go for another.
    `Only dead fish swim with the stream. . .

I would have to recommend Palm, too, though I am a big fan of the Pocket PC.

From a features standpoint, I feel like the Pocket PC is more usable. You can get it to sync with Linux, but you do have to jump through far more hoops, and you may not always come out with the desired result.

For instance, I've got a Dell Axim X30. Via the cradle, I could get contacts and appointments to sync, and that's about it. YMMV.
    Registered Linux user #230403! Since March 2001! YAY.

Try doing a forum search or a google search before asking a question. And please don't use HELP! in the topic of your post... it's so lame... Please don't PM me for help-- post a question in the forum instead.