[SOLVED] SuSE 10 FTP install won't get DHCP

Thread: [SOLVED] SuSE 10 FTP install won't get DHCP

[SOLVED] SuSE 10 FTP install won't get DHCP

Hi. Weird one here...
    I've a laptop getting FTP through my server. Laptop currently running SuSE 9.3, everything's hunky-dory. web access, right nameservers, it gets an IP of 192.168.0.34 nicely.

[EDIT] I can see the site I'm trying to get the distro. off (ftp://ftp.gwdg.de == 134.76.11.100) with Kbear on the laptop in SuSE 9.3 'mode' [/EDIT]

Trying a new installation with the boot.iso (SuSE 10 OSS version).
    It simply will not pick up an IP address. I looked (on the server - runs RHEL4) at the /var/log/messages file with "tail -f", and the laptop's requesting the DHCP address:

grep -A 1 -B 1 DHCPREQUEST /var/log/messages | less

Feb 20 16:09:54 localhost dhcpd: if linux.oululife.com IN A rrset doesn't exist add linux.oululife.com 43200 IN A 192.168.0.34
    : timed out.
    Feb 20 16:09:54 localhost dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.0.34 from 00:10:5a:fa:99:xx (linux) via eth0
    Feb 20 16:09:54 localhost dhcpd: DHCPACK on 192.168.0.34 to 00:10:5a:fa:99:xx (linux) via eth0

..But the Laptop doesn't take it, and gives me the 'red failure' message. (Now, what's that funny line before it about "if linux.oululife.com...."? relevant?)

Even using a fixed address (same as was offered) don't work, and I'm unable to 'ping' the laptop from the server even.

Got soooo mad I almost microwaved the boot CD (excellent way of permanently erasing a stack of unwanted CD's, BTW. Lovely firework display. Use an old microwave, though... : )

-Any ideas?

Installed 9.3 this way with no hassle (sometime ago, using floppies, but even so...)

-Andy
    Last edited by andycrofts; 03-06-2006 at 06:00 PM.

OK, fixed. In SuSE 10, it seems api and acpd get in the way. Use acpi=off apm=off in kernel params.
    Once installed, edit /boot/grub/menu.lst as follows:
    __________________________________________________ __________________________
    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
    title SUSE LINUX 10.0
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 vga=0x317 selinux=0 apm=off acpi=off resume=/dev/hda3 splash=silent showopts
    initrd /boot/initrd

__________________________________________________ ____________________________