Ndiswrapper question about AP ESSID and MAC address

Thread: Ndiswrapper question about AP ESSID and MAC address

Ndiswrapper question about AP ESSID and MAC address

Hiya all cryptoniks here again LMAO!

all is going smoothly but i have hit my first issue. however I am sure its a small one

I have installed the latest ndiswrapper source with no issues on slackware 10.2

Current Kernel is 2.4.31

lspci see's the card just fine and i was able to determine which driver and .INF file to use

basically everything has gone perfectly word for word from the wiki instalation notes

up to the point of setting my ESSID

my access point is broadcasting perfectly as it can be seen just fine with

iwlist wlan0 scan

then i do

iwconfig wlan0 key restricted XXXXXXXX (where x is replaced with my WEP key)
    the command goes through with no errors

I then did a

iwconfig wlan0 essid myaccesspointhere
    again the command goes through with no errors

however here is where we run into trouble

i do a iwconfig wlan0 and the output shows my WEP key but the the AP still has an ESSID output of off/any where as it should read myaccesspointhere

for those that may think im pulling an uber noob move myaccesspoint is just a fillername for thepurpose of this post

I have confirmed that my Access point IS broadcasting in ESSID as the output clearly shows this

so first question do MAC address's change on different OS's the MAC programed into my AP is the same one i put in months ago when i was pure win and is working as we speak (hehe thank god i went dual boot lol)

may be a silly question but my understanding is that MAC address's are pretty much hard coded into the hardware correct?

so anybody else ever run accross this problem if so let me know.

im going to boot back into linux and try a couple of other things ive just found via google and the faq but if that doesnt work ill be back to check this thread =)

Thank you in advance!
    Linux Phwns!
    Last edited by Cryptoniks; 03-19-2006 at 12:40 AM.

Update on the current situation:

According to the wiki FAQ I attempted to try and set the ESSID first then the key still no luck

I loged into my wireless router and confirmed it to be broadcasting SSID for my 8011.2g wireless card

I double checked the listing i got with lspci which was

14e4-4320 (rev 03) there for dictateing i need to use the BCMWL5A.INF that can be found in this driver package "ftp://ftp.support.acer-euro.com/notebook/aspire_1500/drivers/80211g.zip"
    by doing

ndiswrapper -i BCMWL5A.INF

again I have confirmed a successfull ndiswrapper install and successfull driver install

I have confirmed Radio is on aswell the light is on.

is there somthing im missing?

i've also had to use the following command to get wireless working:
    iwconfig wlan0 ap ap's mac address
    Couldn't quite figure out if you did that from your post, so if you did; sorry. Otherwise, good luck !
    eskiled is Against-TCPA

I hope my memory serves me correctly here, but try:

iwlist wlan0 scan

You should see your Access Point, Wireless Router, whatever - sometimes you need to do this before using iwconfig (I did using the Broadcom built in wireless on my laptop)