Screenshots April 2006 - Page 2


Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 41

Thread: Screenshots April 2006

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    763
    You are correct calipso, it's definitely gross overkill. Disk is cheap and I had plenty so I said what the hey. That and for some reason it just seemed like a good idea at 3:00 in the morning when I did this install :-)
    good enough reasoning for me
    Check out the Unix/Linux Administration Program at Seneca College.
    Thanx to everyone that helped/helps me on this forum!

    t0mmyw on #linuxn00b

  2. #17
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,258
    Not a ton of crazy things. Looks something like this currently:

    -XGL (CVS build via shadowhand repo on Arch Linux)
    -Gnome 2.14
    -Jamboree .5 (Audio Player)
    -Gaim 2.0 Beta 3
    -Firefox 1.5.0.2

    http://swainnet.*****.org/pub/screen...ss_april_1.png
    http://swainnet.*****.org/pub/screen...ss_april_2.png
    http://swainnet.*****.org/pub/screen...ss_april_3.png

    As fair warning: They're kind of large, so just be ready for that.
    The Swain

    dswain

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Somewhere, Texas
    Posts
    9,628
    Why do people feel the need to show the Xgl cube in mid turn? I think it looks tacky as there is no purpose to that besides "hey neat cool" and that is as far as it goes after about 2 seconds. I'm just saying there are 10,000 of these "half spin applications bending between screens" and honestly, they all look the same.

    I like Xgl, a lot, and can't wait until we can make custom themes for it (right now themes need to be made into a binary so it's not too flexable). But in the mean time, could we chill on the "hey look, it's a cube!" pics

    \rant

  4. #19
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Icarus
    Why do people feel the need to show the Xgl cube in mid turn? I think it looks tacky as there is no purpose to that besides "hey neat cool" and that is as far as it goes after about 2 seconds. I'm just saying there are 10,000 of these "half spin applications bending between screens" and honestly, they all look the same.

    I like Xgl, a lot, and can't wait until we can make custom themes for it (right now themes need to be made into a binary so it's not too flexable). But in the mean time, could we chill on the "hey look, it's a cube!" pics

    \rant
    Thanks for hurting my feelings.

    Haha yeah I guess you're right. Just figured I'd show off how fun it is to not have to look at a little gray box for virtual desktops when you can just spin the cube around. I won't do it again though, I promise.

    The Swain

    dswain

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    979
    the cube needs some serious antialiasing

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Somewhere, Texas
    Posts
    9,628
    Heh, sorry about that DSwain, you'll survive

    The thing with Xgl right now is that there is only one theme, every screenshot is pretty much the same thing with a different wallpaper. As I said, once the themeing is a lot more flexible we'll be seeing some VERY interesting screenshots

  7. #22
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,258
    That's very true, you're right. It should be pretty neat when easy theming comes about. Speaking of which, though, I've seen some screenshots which change the appearance of Xgl defaults. Obviously it's more challenging like you stated before, but I have seen it done once or twice at least.
    The Swain

    dswain

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    2,658
    I don't like the perspective on the cube, this top down perspective features too much black space for my taste. When I rotate my desktop in OSX, it looks as if sitting right in front of the cube with only very small black areas that are shortly visible. I think this animation is much more slick. Will it be possible to change the perspective in Xgl?

    "What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

    Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

  9. #24
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Parcival
    I don't like the perspective on the cube, this top down perspective features too much black space for my taste. When I rotate my desktop in OSX, it looks as if sitting right in front of the cube with only very small black areas that are shortly visible. I think this animation is much more slick. Will it be possible to change the perspective in Xgl?
    I haven't heard or seen anything on it, yet. That would be nice I suppose though. The cube effect doesn't really bother me because I'm only looking at the cube for a moment of time and back to a virtual desktop. OS X may have better ways of doing it, but I've never really used OS X for long enough to experience it, so I couldn't be sure as to which I'd prefer.
    The Swain

    dswain

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    2,658
    OSX uses the effect only when switching users. However, there's an app called Desktop Manager that lets you create virtual desktops and define the animation when switching between them. Apparently Apple has many builtin 3D animations in OSX but hardly uses them.

    "What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

    Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    180
    Time to show off some XGL =P

    SuSE 10.1 RC2, KDE 3.5.1, Compiz, XGL

    shot01.jpg
    shot02.jpg
    shot03.jpg
    shot04.jpg

    Clean Shot:
    shot05.jpg

  12. #27
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko
    Time to show off some XGL =P

    SuSE 10.1 RC2, KDE 3.5.1, Compiz, XGL

    shot01.jpg
    shot02.jpg
    shot03.jpg
    shot04.jpg

    Clean Shot:
    shot05.jpg
    Those are nice shots, but I think you missed our conversation above...

    =P

    Don't worry, I like the cube too. Just watch out for others man =)
    The Swain

    dswain

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    2,658
    Quote Originally Posted by DSwain
    Those are nice shots, but I think you missed our conversation above...
    Anything that can be potentially used to impress the babes is okay to post.

    "What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

    Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

  14. #29
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Parcival
    Anything that can be potentially used to impress the babes is okay to post.
    My god, I was violently ill informed...

    I already have a girlfriend anyway, so I'm good. She doesn't even need to see my screenshots, so I believe I'm the winner!

    =P
    The Swain

    dswain

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    180
    I was planning on getting the skydome running, and getting a picture of the river of life from Mushishi, and make that the skydome background.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •