Screenshots April 2006 - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Screenshots April 2006

You are correct calipso, it's definitely gross overkill. Disk is cheap and I had plenty so I said what the hey. That and for some reason it just seemed like a good idea at 3:00 in the morning when I did this install :-)
    good enough reasoning for me
    Check out the Unix/Linux Administration Program at Seneca College.
    Thanx to everyone that helped/helps me on this forum!

t0mmyw on #linuxn00b

Not a ton of crazy things. Looks something like this currently:

-XGL (CVS build via shadowhand repo on Arch Linux)
    -Gnome 2.14
    -Jamboree .5 (Audio Player)
    -Gaim 2.0 Beta 3
    -Firefox 1.5.0.2

http://swainnet.*****.org/pub/screen...ss_april_1.png
    http://swainnet.*****.org/pub/screen...ss_april_2.png
    http://swainnet.*****.org/pub/screen...ss_april_3.png

As fair warning: They're kind of large, so just be ready for that.
    The Swain

dswain

Why do people feel the need to show the Xgl cube in mid turn? I think it looks tacky as there is no purpose to that besides "hey neat cool" and that is as far as it goes after about 2 seconds. I'm just saying there are 10,000 of these "half spin applications bending between screens" and honestly, they all look the same.

I like Xgl, a lot, and can't wait until we can make custom themes for it (right now themes need to be made into a binary so it's not too flexable). But in the mean time, could we chill on the "hey look, it's a cube!" pics

\rant

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus
    Why do people feel the need to show the Xgl cube in mid turn? I think it looks tacky as there is no purpose to that besides "hey neat cool" and that is as far as it goes after about 2 seconds. I'm just saying there are 10,000 of these "half spin applications bending between screens" and honestly, they all look the same.

I like Xgl, a lot, and can't wait until we can make custom themes for it (right now themes need to be made into a binary so it's not too flexable). But in the mean time, could we chill on the "hey look, it's a cube!" pics

\rant
    Thanks for hurting my feelings.

Haha yeah I guess you're right. Just figured I'd show off how fun it is to not have to look at a little gray box for virtual desktops when you can just spin the cube around. I won't do it again though, I promise.

The Swain

dswain

the cube needs some serious antialiasing

Heh, sorry about that DSwain, you'll survive

The thing with Xgl right now is that there is only one theme, every screenshot is pretty much the same thing with a different wallpaper. As I said, once the themeing is a lot more flexible we'll be seeing some VERY interesting screenshots

That's very true, you're right. It should be pretty neat when easy theming comes about. Speaking of which, though, I've seen some screenshots which change the appearance of Xgl defaults. Obviously it's more challenging like you stated before, but I have seen it done once or twice at least.
    The Swain

dswain

I don't like the perspective on the cube, this top down perspective features too much black space for my taste. When I rotate my desktop in OSX, it looks as if sitting right in front of the cube with only very small black areas that are shortly visible. I think this animation is much more slick. Will it be possible to change the perspective in Xgl?

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Quote Originally Posted by Parcival
    I don't like the perspective on the cube, this top down perspective features too much black space for my taste. When I rotate my desktop in OSX, it looks as if sitting right in front of the cube with only very small black areas that are shortly visible. I think this animation is much more slick. Will it be possible to change the perspective in Xgl?
    I haven't heard or seen anything on it, yet. That would be nice I suppose though. The cube effect doesn't really bother me because I'm only looking at the cube for a moment of time and back to a virtual desktop. OS X may have better ways of doing it, but I've never really used OS X for long enough to experience it, so I couldn't be sure as to which I'd prefer.
    The Swain

dswain

OSX uses the effect only when switching users. However, there's an app called Desktop Manager that lets you create virtual desktops and define the animation when switching between them. Apparently Apple has many builtin 3D animations in OSX but hardly uses them.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Time to show off some XGL =P

SuSE 10.1 RC2, KDE 3.5.1, Compiz, XGL

shot01.jpg
    shot02.jpg
    shot03.jpg
    shot04.jpg

Clean Shot:
    shot05.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Piko
    Time to show off some XGL =P

SuSE 10.1 RC2, KDE 3.5.1, Compiz, XGL

shot01.jpg
    shot02.jpg
    shot03.jpg
    shot04.jpg

Clean Shot:
    shot05.jpg
    Those are nice shots, but I think you missed our conversation above...

=P

Don't worry, I like the cube too. Just watch out for others man =)
    The Swain

dswain

Quote Originally Posted by DSwain
    Those are nice shots, but I think you missed our conversation above...
    Anything that can be potentially used to impress the babes is okay to post.

Quote Originally Posted by Parcival
    Anything that can be potentially used to impress the babes is okay to post.
    My god, I was violently ill informed...

I already have a girlfriend anyway, so I'm good. She doesn't even need to see my screenshots, so I believe I'm the winner!

=P
    The Swain

dswain

I was planning on getting the skydome running, and getting a picture of the river of life from Mushishi, and make that the skydome background.