PCLinuxOS questions..

Thread: PCLinuxOS questions..

PCLinuxOS questions..

I have tried several Live CD's in the past to replace my aging Mandriva 2005 Edition. Seems a lot of thier urpmi/apt-get (Synaptic) ftp updates links are out of date now-- possibly due to their corporate change.
    The best one I have tried so far is PCLinuxOS, which is based on Mandriva.
    It includes just about EVERYTHING I like in a distro and all plugins including Java (along with LimeWire) are included!
    Has anyone here stumbled along this distro and/or have it installed on the hard drive??
    I also like Kanotix too.. but that dist seems to be buggy in the HD install. Tried to bring up the command-line install (based on thier website) but it must be down.
    any thoughts??
    Last edited by jwolfe71; 04-19-2006 at 03:40 AM.

PCLinuxOS good, so are MEPIS, knoppix

I have recently installed PCLOS to my hard drive, because everyone was saying it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It's fine. If you can believe it, I found the installation of MEPIS to be even easier. Knoppix also was fine.

PCLOS seems to have their own, comprehensive synaptic repository (at least 5000 packages so far, and probably growing quickly), so you can get nice packages without fear of incompatibility, I would guess. I never had problems using standard Debian repositories with MEPIS or knoppix. MEPIS is going to use Ubuntu and not Debian as their future base, so you can probably get nice, compatible security updates for Mepis in the future (Ubuntu security patches seemed like a plus to me, Mepis didn't have its own, and until recently Debian only patched stable, not testing or unstable branches (hear they will put out patches for testing now/soon)).

To be honest, all the Live-CDs I've seen that have the HD installation option were all equally good for everyday use. PCLOS, MEPIS, and knoppix all had multimedia goodies by default, but using EasyUbuntu (or Automatix), Ubuntu can have all that stuff in a matter of minutes.

Just go with what works best for you and autodetects/configures all your hardware. If that is PCLOS, I can tell you from personal experience that it is perfectly OK. I still have it as my current distro.

PCLinuxOS issues.... Lilo didn't load..

Thanks for your input.. but..
    I installed PCLOS 2 days ago but it didn't install Lilo at the end. I think I accidentally hit cancel or something at the install ending. Also, the installer to me is kinda funky. I mean, most distros I have fooled with, inlcuding the current one Mandriva 2005, the root and the home directory is used on the same partition. thereas, in PCLOS, I have to have two seperate parts for each??
    Also, here's another thing that's bothersome. I have a USB external drive and have 2 partitions on it. One for Nix other NTFS. I am trying to get permissions to read off the NTFS part for me. I go in root try to change the permissions to 755 (chmod) but even in root I can't (no permission).
    thanks..

As I mentioned, the Mepis install seemed easier as far as partitioning goes. It's a good idea to have separate partitions, but you can get away with just swap and /. I ended up doing that.

You should be able to select My Computer from the desktop, then Storage Media. You should then see your windows partition. You can right click it and mount it. You can also right click, go to properties, and select the permissions tab to change read/write priveleges.