Suse 10.0 and partitions

Thread: Suse 10.0 and partitions

Suse 10.0 and partitions

I am trying to install Suse 10 on one of my computers but the installation fails when trying to install Grub. this is how my setup looks like:

PRIMARY PARTITIONS

C:\ PRIMARY PARTITION WITH NTFS
    D:\ PRIMARY PARTITION WITH NTFS
    E:\ PRIMARY PARTITION WITH fat32
    F:\ EXTENDED PARTITION WITH
    Swap
    ReiserFS

During the installation, it says that it doesn't accept my setup of the partitions, and therefor it can't install Grub.

I can't understand why Suse's installation media doesn't accept this partition layout? What is wrong with my setup?
    - "Internet is just a fashion craze".
    Swedish minister

Distro of my choice: Whatever I'm interested in.

IIRC, when you're setting up a partition scheme like this, you cannot have three primary partitions. It's kind of odd and I forget exactly why it does this, but once you go over two primary partitions, it has an issue with creating logical/extended partitions. If you set one of the previous partitions to be an extended (or logical) partition, I believe you won't have any issues with your partition scheme anymore.
    The Swain

dswain

i think DSwain is mistaken.

You can have 4 primary partitions...thats it.

However, if you want more, one of the first 4 partitions has to be an extended partition, thus allowing more logical partitions. Once you create logical partitions on the extended partition, the original extended partition is not usable.

Not sure this helps you, but your extended partition has 2 logical ones on it? one for swap and one for reiser?

When installing grub, where are you putting it?

Quote Originally Posted by happybunny
    i think DSwain is mistaken.

You can have 4 primary partitions...thats it.

However, if you want more, one of the first 4 partitions has to be an extended partition, thus allowing more logical partitions. Once you create logical partitions on the extended partition, the original extended partition is not usable.

Not sure this helps you, but your extended partition has 2 logical ones on it? one for swap and one for reiser?

When installing grub, where are you putting it?
    Sorry, sorry I must have worded it poorly. I meant something along those lines at least. At any rate though, for some reason I remember cfdisk not letting me make an extended partition after a third primary partition. Not sure why I'm thinking this, but I am.
    The Swain

dswain

Your linux partition when seen by Grub cannot be "f", and Grub likes hd0, hd1, hd2, hd3, hd4 as a numbering schemes. Windows will not see a linux partition.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    Bigboogie on boogienights.net:
    Ammo case
    Asus 8N32 SLI MB
    AMD Athlon x2 3800+
    2 GB Patriot Signature 400 DDR
    160 GB Hitachi 7200 IDE
    2 x-250 Seagate SATA2
    EVGA Nvidia 7900GT
    Dell 2007WFP
    Logitech 5.1 speakers
    Logitech MX1000 mouse
    Dell USB keyboard