What MP3 is playing in the background while you...? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What MP3 is playing in the background while you...?

Transplanted from beautiful La Quinta, CA to Long Beach, CA...there are no stars here at night!
    Quote Originally Posted by celticgeek
    Reading through all of the music on this thread made me go back through my database and check it out. I have about 490 CD albums (not nearly all ripped to my computer, of course), ranging from ABBA to Warren Zevon. I had totally forgotten about a lot of this music, but now I have about eight or ten more out and ready to rip. Enya, Loreena McKinnett, Steve Reich, Edith Piaf, Stan and Garnet Rogers, Pepe Romero, and Andres Segovia (I guess that makes nine albums).

This is all your fault, MastaShake57 - I totally blame you for the hours I have just spent going through all of my albums. However, I must admit that it has been great, great fun. Thanks for starting this.
    May I recommend a couple of these or, maybe, a couple of these?

Right now, I listen to a lot of Black Metal/Gothic while I've started coding. At night, there's a college radio station that has a Goth/Metal show on during the hours I'm awake after work (1:00AM-4:00AM), so I just tune in and drop out.

At work, I stream in a lot of Progressive Metal, my most favorite band being Trivium.

If I'm not listening to Goth/Metal while I'm coding, I've been listening to a lot of Ambient, and a good bit of Ethereal/Ambient Drum N Bass. That stuff is great, because it gives you just enough of a beat to help draw in some focus, but it is just detached enough (due to lack of vocals, and no hard rhythm) that you can take that focus you gained and apply it to the task you're performing.
    Registered Linux user #230403! Since March 2001! YAY.

Try doing a forum search or a google search before asking a question. And please don't use HELP! in the topic of your post... it's so lame... Please don't PM me for help-- post a question in the forum instead.

Edith Piaf
    Her songs are like a dream I just woke up from. The music and the time she represents still seems to be there somehow, but it hardly has anything to do with our modern world anymore. Sometimes I wonder what if she started her career just now... stars that make you yawn like Britney wouldn't even have to get up on stage anymore.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

When I'm working productively I listen to Dave Brubeck's Time Out and Mozart's Requiem. It's always those two albums.

I notice I don't like to work and listen to music with words in them because I'll focus on the lyrics. The exception being the Requiem.

EnigmaOne: Hmmm. 500GB SATA drives. Hmmm.

Yes, Edith Piaf is about as good as it gets, and I had totally forgotten her until I started going through my albums. I actually have a lot of stuff I had sort of forgotten about. But now I am remembering it, and remembering why I bought it all in the first place.

Hmmm. 500GB SATA drives. Hmmm.

It is still MastaShake57's fault, though.

Hmmm. 500GB SATA drives. Hmmm. May have to look into those. I have always wanted a terabyte of hard drive space on my box anyway. Hmmm.
    Last edited by celticgeek; 05-06-2006 at 12:29 PM.
    the celtic geek
    CentOS 4.4
    Registered Linux User 392268
    We Wear Woad When We Write Code

It is still MastaShake57's fault, though.
    LOL, man, I did it to myself. After I posted this, I went upstairs to my attic and PROMPTLY began ripping all of my CDs into <insert your favorite music format here>. Now, 1 day later, I realized that I have TONS of rap albums that I forgot about.

I didn't realize SO MANY of you like listening to Enya. I found an old cassette of her greatest hits, given to me by a friend by way of Spain.

Quote Originally Posted by xaccessxdeniedx
    Those few include Pantera, Iron Maiden, Misfits, and Johnny Cash. I listen to them mostly while headshoting people on Call of Duty 2.
    Hehe, you're my kind of gamer!

Last night while playing COD2, I was giving out free lobotomies by way of the shotgun while listening to "DMX's 2nd album (and by far his best) Flesh of my Flesh, Blood of my Blood".

I noticed that a lot of you prefer the instrumentals, because the vocals get in the way of your concentration. That's very trippy because I'm the opposite. Listening to DMX, the lyrics just get into my subconscious that I ended the night averaging a 3 to 1 kill ratio.

Go figure, it pumps me up so much that I sometimes catch myself mouthing the lyrics while licking off the shots in COD2.

Haha oh man, you guys are all way too hardcore for me. But, that's still cool though.

As for myself: Grateful Dead, Phish, Moe, Allman Brothers Band, The Beatles, Crosby Stills Nash and Young, Ravi Shankar, Phil Lesh (And Friends), Railroad Earth, and some other local bands are my common listens. I also listen to the local public station (91.9 WNTI) which gives me a phenomenal amount of variety so it keeps my horizons broad.
    The Swain

dswain

Quote Originally Posted by flcpge
    The exception being the Requiem.
    Dies irae, dies illa

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

depends on what im doing
    surfing chatting, "non-productive" computer related stuff: 30 seconds to mars, Breaking Benjamin, Tool, Cold, Bush, Institute, Mannikin, One Side Zero, Orgy, Offspring, Nirvana, Placebo list goes on endlessly as i collect music (basically lot of rock/alternitive)

for working: Muse, Nightwish, Evanescence, VNV nation, celtic though mostly vocal trance stuff
    Somethings are but lost
    to the times of ones conscience

Til our paths cross again.

i prescribe some mushroomhead, and fire lots and lots of fire

Quote Originally Posted by dkeav
    i prescribe some mushroomhead, and fire lots and lots of fire
    Dude, Mushroomhead is TOTALLY bad-***. Granted, I just got into them a while ago, Solitaire/Unraveling has got be one of the most kick *** songs EVAR! My luck, as soon as I got into them, their leg of the tour just passed my state...

\m/

ouch, give the XIII album a listen

sun doesnt rise is badash

Transplanted from beautiful La Quinta, CA to Long Beach, CA...there are no stars here at night!
    Quote Originally Posted by dkeav
    sun doesnt rise is badash
    ???
    Some Body Butter will fix that ashiness right up.