What MP3 is playing in the background while you...?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What MP3 is playing in the background while you...?

Talking What MP3 is playing in the background while you...?

I've always noticed that the *TRUE* hardcorde PC dudes, whether *nix/Windows or both, have a very eclectic taste in music while doing their day-to-day tasks on their workstation. My question is, what do YOU listen to? The reason I ask is because I get to be introduced to bands that I might have, otherwise, missed in my travels. I like listening to everything, but you tug at my strings when it's \m/ METAL \m/. Let me start off...

# While I'm compiling anything and doing CLI tasks...
    Artist: Unearth
    Album: The Oncoming Storm
    Notable Tracks: Endless / Zombie Autopilot

# While I'm closing out trouble tickets...
    Artist: The Black Dhalia Murder
    Album: Unhallowed / Miasma
    Notable Tracks: Funeral Thrist / Contagion / Spite Suicide / Statutory Rape

# While reviewing my emails...
    Artist: As I Lay Dying
    Album: Frail Words Collapse
    Notable Tracks: Elegy / 94 Hours / Collision / Forever / Hell, THE WHOLE ALBUM!

# While writing this post...
    Artist: Chimaira
    Album: Impossibility of Reason / Chimaira
    Notable Tracks: Eyes of a Criminal / Pure Hatred / Power Trip / Pictures in the Gold Room / Salvation / Left for Dead / Pray for all

# When surfing the web...
    Artist: Danger Doom
    Album: The Mouse and the Mask

# When pissed off with douchebag clients and/or superiors...
    Artist: Throwdown
    Album: Haymaker / Vendetta
    Notable Tracks: EVERYTHING. There's enough anger in those 2 albums to incite riots!

That's it for now, let me know what you guys listen to!

I usually crank up Streamtuner, pick a station randomly (well, not so randomly sometimes) and get exposed to all kinds of new sounds from around the world.
    Like the other night, I was processing some video and audio and sort of randomly picked a western African music station listed by Xiph. At first I was kind of put off by the strangness of it but after a while myself and the music sort of got in synch and I hated to go to sleep and miss any of it. I am not sure what region, tribal area, or category it fit into, or even what the station was, but it was sure some tight sound.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    Bigboogie on boogienights.net:
    Ammo case
    Asus 8N32 SLI MB
    AMD Athlon x2 3800+
    2 GB Patriot Signature 400 DDR
    160 GB Hitachi 7200 IDE
    2 x-250 Seagate SATA2
    EVGA Nvidia 7900GT
    Dell 2007WFP
    Logitech 5.1 speakers
    Logitech MX1000 mouse
    Dell USB keyboard
    NEC 3500 DVD-RW
    Benq 1655 DVD-RW

(God bless tax refunds)

Morphine and Primus are my computer bands....

"We used to meet every thursday thursday thursday in the afternoon...for a couple of beers, and a game of pool..."
    Last edited by je_fro; 05-04-2006 at 05:29 PM.
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

#text processing ("real work")#
    Enya, Enigma

#web development#
    Vocal Trance stream on Digitally Imported - keeps me working for days

#browsing the web#
    Swiss Radio
    (click the Web Radio button on the right and some javascript will open a new Window. I play the Windows Media stream with mplayer in Firefox, works nicely)

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

I listen to just about everything (except new country, it has lost its way). There are few bands I can hold all their CD's in my hand and randomly slap one in and listen to every track on it. Those few include Pantera, Iron Maiden, Misfits, and Johnny Cash. I listen to them mostly while headshoting people on Call of Duty 2. Three kind of obscure bands that you may want to check out MastaShake57 is British punk band Anti-Nowhere League: We Are The League. Second is Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds: Let Love In (I have no idea what you would class them as). Third is a bizarre Africian possibly band called Missa Luba. Hard to find but it has a african/carribean/tribal feel. All of these are loaded into my MP3 player to rock out and be stared at at work.
    Last edited by xaccessxdeniedx; 05-05-2006 at 12:23 AM.
    BOOM! Headshot!

AMD Athlon XP 2800+ (2.08 Ghz)
    512 MB RAM
    Abit NF-7S Motherboard
    Radeon AIW 9800 GC
    Audigy 2 Platnium SC

Transplanted from beautiful La Quinta, CA to Long Beach, CA...there are no stars here at night!
    Quote Originally Posted by Parcival
    #text processing ("real work")#
    Enya, Enigma
    Yes???

Ok, I'll play along....

No mp3s for me...just pcm formats.

In no particular order, and for pretty much anything I do (mood rather than task-oriented):
    Baka Beyond, Barrage, Enya, Betsy Foster, ACDC, The Eagles, Nazareth, Allan Parsons Project, Kam Dhillon, Van Halen, Wilson Phillips, Mike & The Mechanics, Sol de America, Julio Iglesias, Los Bukis, Brian Adams, Celine Dion, Dion, Neil Diamond, Beatriz Adriana, Sarah Vaughn, Jimmy Buffett, Billy Joel, Chi-Lites, Al Stewart, Alice Cooper, Motzart, Bach, Bethoven, Mehdi, Boston, Def Leppard, Styx, Phil Collins, Rush (2112...good album), Del Amitri, Kenny G, Bread, Cream, Yes, Deep Purple, Blue Suede, Loreena McKennitt, Lobo, Bob Welch, Don Henley, Ben E. King, Jose Luis Rodriquez (El Puma), Matchbox 20, Al Green, Bad Company, Grey Eye Glances, Peabo Bryson, George Strait, Lee Greenwood, Restless Heart, Little Texas, Jim Glaser, Bebe Winans, Mark Willis, Radney Foster, Rod Stewart, Bob Seger, Brownsville Station, Ugly Kid Joe, Collin Raye, Pink Floyd, Lynard Skynnard, CCR, Huey Lewis & The News, The Irish Tennors, Luther Vandross, Jethro Tull, ZZ Top, Dwight Yokham, Bon Jovi, Juri (de Vera Cruz), Firefall, Vangelis, Marlena Shaw, Gladys Knight ('Everybody' is an immortal tune), Minnie Driver, Joe Cocker, Billy Swan, Billie Holiday, Dire Straits....

I think I'll stop with that.
    Last edited by EnigmaOne; 05-05-2006 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Neal --> Neil ::: rolleyes :::

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaOne
    Neal Diamond
    No!!!

Okay, I play along, too.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Cool

Originally Posted by EnigmaOne
    Neal Diamond
    Err... That's NEIL Diamond. "Hot August Night" is, perhaps, one of the best live albums ever recorded (Frampton - Live, Joan Baez - From Every Stage, Cheap Trick - At Budokan, and Roy Clark - Live in Las Vegas {1972} fill out my list).

I tend to listen to those "One-hit Wonders", who would've had many more hits had one but listened to the rest of the album(s). There's Janis Ian, Jill Sobule, Suzanne Vega, T'Pau, Tanita Tikaram, Swing Out Sister, Alison Moyet, Maria McKee (Lone Justice), Aimee Mann ('Til Tuesday), Chantal Kreviazuk, and many bands and singers not around anymore.

I've been recently impressed with the new stuff I found over at Download.com's Music section. Try out Danielle Howle, Jay Smith, Juliana Nash, Michael Penn (Sean's brother, and married to Aimee Mann), Neko Case, Saving Jane, and Veda.

Oh, and if you like Enya, get a load of her sister, Maire, of Clannad.

banzai "Sekima de nai" kai
    "Mind you, I got to do the licking this time, so it wasn't too bad."
    - Jane Horrocks, The Guardian, 1995

I'm pretty boring I guess. I usually just stream WLS AM Radio in Chicago... Don and Roma, Rush, Roe Conn, and Hannity.

:-)

Mostly the classic metal bands like Megadeth and Iron Maiden, but have a collection that also includes Mozart and Matthew Sweet. Why limit yourself?

Usually when working on web sites it's some kind of metal though

A good place to see what people listen to is their screenshots in the screenshot threads
    Check out the Unix/Linux Administration Program at Seneca College.
    Thanx to everyone that helped/helps me on this forum!

t0mmyw on #linuxn00b

Celtic music, of course. I have several albums that I have ripped to .ogg files, and I play them while I am on the computer. Usually little known artists (Aideen O'Brien, Golden Bough, Mary Black, Eachdraidh, Karan Casey, Draioght) plus some fine old popular folk (Joan Baez, The Limelighters, Woody and Arlo Guthrie, Pete and Peggy Seeger) and a few other artists that I happen to like (Emmylou Harris, The Dixie Cups, The Boss, Kronos, Philip Glass). Sort of a tour of my favorite musicians, I guess.

Plus a ton bunch of others that I keep around for enjoyment.
    the celtic geek
    CentOS 4.4
    Registered Linux User 392268
    We Wear Woad When We Write Code

ahh...Philip Glass...love his work! You can find an array of Kronos coming from my speakers, as well...
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

Reading through all of the music on this thread made me go back through my database and check it out. I have about 490 CD albums (not nearly all ripped to my computer, of course), ranging from ABBA to Warren Zevon. I had totally forgotten about a lot of this music, but now I have about eight or ten more out and ready to rip. Enya, Loreena McKinnett, Steve Reich, Edith Piaf, Stan and Garnet Rogers, Pepe Romero, and Andres Segovia (I guess that makes nine albums).

This is all your fault, MastaShake57 - I totally blame you for the hours I have just spent going through all of my albums. However, I must admit that it has been great, great fun. Thanks for starting this.
    the celtic geek
    CentOS 4.4
    Registered Linux User 392268
    We Wear Woad When We Write Code