email servers etc.

Thread: email servers etc.

email servers etc.

You know....

Someone needs to come up with a new, better, standard for sending emails. Something that includes some kind of checks and balances to verify that the sending email address actually belongs to the user sending the email.

Some JERK is using one of my email addresses as the return email on massive amounts of span s/he is sending out, and I am having to deal with all of the Send Failure message. I simply can not stress how annoying this is getting..

Michael

Have you seen this?
    SMTP-AUTH Not a good solution, but could it help a little? Are they doing a relay?
    Last edited by hard candy; 05-05-2006 at 02:47 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    Bigboogie on boogienights.net:
    Ammo case
    Asus 8N32 SLI MB
    AMD Athlon x2 3800+
    2 GB Patriot Signature 400 DDR
    160 GB Hitachi 7200 IDE
    2 x-250 Seagate SATA2
    EVGA Nvidia 7900GT
    Dell 2007WFP
    Logitech 5.1 speakers
    Logitech MX1000 mouse
    Dell USB keyboard
    NEC 3500 DVD-RW
    Benq 1655 DVD-RW

(God bless tax refunds)

Ill assume you are using only Linux/*nix/OSX machines, if not are you sure you arent the spammer?

soule
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

Transplanted from beautiful La Quinta, CA to Long Beach, CA...there are no stars here at night!
    ::: snicker :::
    Good point, soule

Quote Originally Posted by soulestream
    Ill assume you are using only Linux/*nix/OSX machines, if not are you sure you arent the spammer?
    Incidentally, I had the same thing happen with a Yahoo! Address that I was using for a period of time. And the spammer was hitting it hard-- every day, I got over 50 Undeliverable: emails in my inbox.

Usually when someone is forging the From: field in an email, you genuinely aren't the spambot. But, there's still that possibility that you are a spambot, but conversely, the machine's sending out emails using someone else's address as a From: address.

Speaking of Yahoo!, has anyone seen spam coming from the @yahoo.com domain in Yahoo! Mail, but it still says, "This email has been verified by Yahoo DomainKeys" ? Ain't that a kick in the teeth?
    Registered Linux user #230403! Since March 2001! YAY.

Try doing a forum search or a google search before asking a question. And please don't use HELP! in the topic of your post... it's so lame... Please don't PM me for help-- post a question in the forum instead.

Nobody's filtering Yahoo! Mail on the outbound side, apparently, and someone's figured out how to use their mail sending engine automatically. Either that, or the From: header is before the DomainKey-Signature: header; DomainKeys only verifies all the data after the DomainKey-Signature: header.