best distro for file server

Thread: best distro for file server

best distro for file server

I'm not a newbie, but I'm not a networking person either.
    I'm trying to create a file server for my Windows pc. I thought it would be a relatively simple task. Boy, was I wrong! I've tried 3 different distros and each one gave me a different set of problems I couldn't figure out/fix on my own, even after spending hours searching and reading on Google.

Is there a distro that is best/easiest for setting up a file server? Currently, I have easilix installed, but I've run into a problem there (see my previous post) and I can't get a response from their support to save my life.

Is there a good detailed doc/how-to somewhere explaining how to set one up? I've tried several, but eventually I would get to some problem that wasn't covered for which I wasn't able to find a solution anywhere.

Thanks!

Setting up a Samba server is rather challenging in almost ANY Linux distro. It takes a lot to work through the configuration file and set things as you want, especially from the beginning. My advice would be to take a look at Suse, since it does use Yast which makes the task of setting up a Samba server pretty simple. You can get that freely now also (easily) so that's a nice one to use. That's what I used for my first server set up.

I use Arch Linux myself on my server. I like this because I find when you're trying to set up something like a Samba server, your best bet is to have it as simple as possible meaning having no extra tools which set things up for you or try to control Samba, but you're probably not looking for something like that. As I said before, Suse Linux would be the best way to go in your case I feel. The tools work nice and are easy to understand for the most part. Lots of people could probably help you use Yast also if it did give you trouble. I've never even heard of the current distro you're running to be honest.

If you'd like, you're free to look at my configuration files and such to try and use that and set up another distro. They may help you out somehow or another. Hope this gives you something to at least check out.
    Last edited by DSwain; 05-06-2006 at 04:38 PM.
    The Swain

dswain

linux is linux, and samba is samba....it doesn't matter which distro you use, they are all about the same. the difference is in their package management systems. Yast appears to be a pretty good one....
    Like DSwain said above, the problem is likely your smb.conf file.
    I wrote a little blurb about it, check the 2nd bullet here:
    http://jeffrey.homelinux.org/RRweb/G...fig_Files.html
    Last edited by je_fro; 05-06-2006 at 10:00 PM.
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

i've got 2 file servers runing OpenSuse 10.0 and it was a breeze to setup.

Ubuntu/Debian are easy too if you follow the samba guide at www.ubuntuguide.org/#sambaserver
    For everyday I rise, I'll thank U.
    No longer scared to die here.
    I've shed last tears and conquered all fears.

See U when I get there...

I've neem using mandriva 200* 64bit (upgraded each year) for about 4 years now, easy to manage and install...But as said before any distro will do. Their are some web graphical interfaces which help in setting up and configureing most of samba, you need to make sure the network is working though, or you may think certain problems are samba's fault when their not.
    Be AWARE: gramaticle/spelling errors will happen
    ReX Productions
    Current Web Project
    Join Project Honey Pot

I burned the boot cd for OpenSuse and I have to say it is the most useless piece of crap I have ever seen! I followed the arcane instructions I finally found - press F3 at the boot screen, then press F4 and select HTTP and fill in the blanks and then later it still asks the same questions and then gives me an error - HTTP 302.

I, for one, have no idea what you're talking about...a 302 error means the content you're looking for has been moved. Are you sure you got the URL right?
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

Quote Originally Posted by robinsiebler
    I burned the boot cd for OpenSuse and I have to say it is the most useless piece of crap I have ever seen! I followed the arcane instructions I finally found - press F3 at the boot screen, then press F4 and select HTTP and fill in the blanks and then later it still asks the same questions and then gives me an error - HTTP 302.
    What directions did you follow? Maybe this can be more in depth and useful: http://www.novell.com/products/susel...tallation.html
    Also, according to this there are a few ways to do things. It sounds like you should be able to just boot directly into the installer, but I'm not sure about that. Do you have the most up-to-date CD you can get? Just a few things to check out for.
    The Swain

dswain

I searched the SuseForurms and eventually found instructions that worked for an ftp download. I only had to spend about 10 minutes jumping through the same dialogs over and over to get past a 'bad ftp response' error. Needless to say, I'm less than impressed with their QA efforts.

lets not forget to subtract for user error...and carry the one

If you do want a simple (to setup AND in terms of options - e.g. everyone has read/write access) NAS try this out.

http://web.ripnet.com/~rdeschen/NASL...%20server.html
    http://www.serverelements.com/naslite.php

It's not for everyone because it is so basic, but I do use it to backup and restore my Suse desktop, laptop and the Win2000 I am forced to use by my employer. Runs off a bootable floppy whose image you can download.

http://www.freenas.org/

doesnt get much easier than that

supports software raid5 with gvinum