Audacity, Audigy, Recording.

Thread: Audacity, Audigy, Recording.

Audacity, Audigy, Recording.

Can't reccord anything...clicking record in Audacity works, it trys to record, but it just drawas a straight blue wave line...

I'm recording from the standard microphone jack in the back of my audigy.

Device Audigy uses is /dev/dsp, which links to /dev/sound/dsp.

tried linking /dev/dsp to /dev/sound/mixer and others, no results.

Gentoo.
    Registered Linux User #383705 - http://counter.li.org/
    laptop pentium16 1400ghz Gentoo 2012.1 e23/kde6.0
    desktop pentium16 1500ghz Debian 5.01

You probably need to adjust which device is being used as the capture device. You can do that with "alsamixer -V all" and pressing space to select the appropriate device as the capture device. Right now I have the CD device set to capture (because that's where the input for my TV card goes, you'll probably need Mic), as well as the Capture device further right in alsamixer. Not sure why there is a separate Capture setting, but I have to have it selected or it won't work.

You can do the same thing in kmix (and probably other mixers) although I don't remember exactly which little light needs to be selected to determine the capture device.

Alsamixer won't let me select a capture device. Space bar does *nothing* for *anything* ... I don't get it.

in kmix, all input lights are bright red. apparantly, bright red means on, and dark red means off...does that make sense??

is it strange that there is only one device available for both input and output in Audacity, and that it's the same device (/dev/dsp)?

I can record now using MIC Input Device in alsamixer.... but I have no idea what I did! and I still cannot select acapture devices

still trying to figure this out...
    Last edited by zeroth; 05-10-2006 at 10:20 PM.

Hmm, did you start alsamixer with "alsamixer -V all"? That's the only way I can duplicate that. I'm not really sure how all the lights could be bright red in kmix either. For me it will only allow me to select Capture and one other.

Quote Originally Posted by cybertron
    Hmm, did you start alsamixer with "alsamixer -V all"? That's the only way I can duplicate that. I'm not really sure how all the lights could be bright red in kmix either. For me it will only allow me to select Capture and one other.
    well I definetly have a problem then.

Why can't I select a capture device in alsamixer or kmix ....... hmmm

I'm recording just fine now through my microphone, but I fear that if it changes somehow I'll be completely screwed ...

Quote Originally Posted by zeroth
    Can't reccord anything...clicking record in Audacity works, it trys to record, but it just drawas a straight blue wave line...

I'm recording from the standard microphone jack in the back of my audigy.

Device Audigy uses is /dev/dsp, which links to /dev/sound/dsp.

tried linking /dev/dsp to /dev/sound/mixer and others, no results.

Gentoo.
    are you recording to your pc? if so the jack should be in line-in of your audigy card.
    now open up the volume control (or alsa mixer) and mess around with the volume controls. for me it was both the analog mix volumes that i had to raise up for my audigy card to record from vinyl to pc with audacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatron X
    are you recording to your pc? if so the jack should be in line-in of your audigy card.
    now open up the volume control (or alsa mixer) and mess around with the volume controls. for me it was both the analog mix volumes that i had to raise up for my audigy card to record from vinyl to pc with audacity.
    I'm recording my guitar with a mic plugged into the mic jack.

The line-in jack will work less effectively with a microphone than a mic jack, because it does not supply the mic with any power as the mic jack does (even if very little).

The problem here is that I can't select a capture device, and I can't imagine why.

I suppose it's possible that your Audigy is doing some hardware mixing or something that removes the need to specify a capture device. Unfortunately I've never used anything except onboard sound so I don't know much about how they work.

Quote Originally Posted by cybertron
    I suppose it's possible that your Audigy is doing some hardware mixing or something that removes the need to specify a capture device. Unfortunately I've never used anything except onboard sound so I don't know much about how they work.
    maybe they're all capture deivces at the same time?

I suppose I should mention that my Audigy Drive (line in 2, the rmote control reciever, etc) doesn't work at all. I've only tried it in windows, I've installed and uninstalled drivers and software and fiddled with the hardware far more times than I can count. It gets power -- the optical out led shines, but I've always had issues with it. It would stop working after a reboot and then work again for no apparant reason. Now I can't get it to work at all.

maybe the card is defective?

I'm recording my guitar with a mic plugged into the mic jack.

The line-in jack will work less effectively with a microphone than a mic jack, because it does not supply the mic with any power as the mic jack does (even if very little).

The problem here is that I can't select a capture device, and I can't imagine why.
    i have the same problem as you with my audigy...i can't seem to select any capture as well with audacity...so i asked around the irc @ debian and i was told to mess with the volume control which actually helped...

try that...keep playing random tunes and messing with the volume control...also click on the microphone icon before anything to see if the level moves when you play a tune...

i have the same problem as you with my audigy...i can't seem to select any capture as well with audacity...so i asked around the irc @ debian and i was told to mess with the volume control which actually helped...

try that...keep playing random tunes and messing with the volume control...also click on the microphone icon before anything to see if the level moves when you play a tune...
    what audigy do you have?

I'm sure I mentioned it already, but I've got the Audigy 2 ZS Platinum.

I think if you turn the volume all the way down for an input device, it automatically marks itself as a non-caputre device. if you turn another up, it marks itself as a capture device. Either that, or all devices are capture devices, which completely defys the alsamixer documentation -- but then again, its not working as it says it should, so maybe this is correct.

what audigy do you have?

I'm sure I mentioned it already, but I've got the Audigy 2 ZS Platinum.

I think if you turn the volume all the way down for an input device, it automatically marks itself as a non-caputre device. if you turn another up, it marks itself as a capture device. Either that, or all devices are capture devices, which completely defys the alsamixer documentation -- but then again, its not working as it says it should, so maybe this is correct.
    i have the audigy 2 zs (check my signature)...

check my signature
    woops.....