Can play audio CD but nothing else?

Thread: Can play audio CD but nothing else?

Can play audio CD but nothing else?

So yah, I put a music cd in it plays fine with xmms & kscd. But as soon as I try to play an mp3 on my hd all I get is a high pitch sreech. If I try to play a video with mplayer or totem the computer absolutely freezes although mythfrontend will show video....with the high pitch sreech of course.
    Since the cds work I have to assume it's a configure/software issue? Two tars I recently tried/did install are mpeg4ip (didn't compile because it wanted me to reinstall faac) and gtkpod (successful I think but not tested yet). Could these be the problem?
    Have no clue where to start so googling has been unsuccessful.
    Is there any kind soul who can point me in the right direction?

lat
    Debian testing
    Creative Labs SB Live!

Yeah, are you using your distros package management tools to install software?
    You should probably be using alsa for your sound output, are these programs configured to use alsa?
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

Hi and thanks je_fro. I try and do everything with apt-get. I've only been successful with podcasts using the tar files tho so thats the why on gtkpod/mpeg4ip.

I know myth is using alsa and I believe I checked in xmms as well but will double check when I get home this evening.

I'm not finding anything in the logs but, then again, as I stated I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for Is there anything you'd like to see that may help?

thx
    lat

Okay, I took the sound card out and got the on board sound working. Sounds okay for now but I hope it won't be pita if I want to upgrade.

oops...maybe this was a hardware issue?