Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Edubuntu/Xubuntu 6.06 Released

Thread: Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Edubuntu/Xubuntu 6.06 Released

Post Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Edubuntu/Xubuntu 6.06 Released

Hello, everyone.

There is a short announcement on the home page of Softpedia about the release of Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Edubuntu/Xubuntu 6.06 ("Dapper Drake").

There is a user opinions section below the announcement, if you are interested.

I realize that there are scores of such announcements, so I won't share any more of them, in order to avoid wasting this site's disk space and bandwidth.

I have become interested in XFCE over the last year or so, so I may actually get Xubuntu 6.06 first. (I will be curious to see what version of XFCE is being used, among other things.)

Anyway, I know that many people have switched to Ubuntu and there is much interest in this distribution.

I volunteer for an international, nonprofit, educational organization (iEARN), and I may suggest Ubuntu and/or Edubuntu to the executive director. Linux and iEARN seem like such a good fit, given the financial savings and freedom that Linux offers.

Thank you for your time!

Cordially,

David
    Linux Distribution: Debian GNU/Linux (Desktop & Server)

Registered Linux User # 315892
    <http://ddickerson.igc.org/>

"In a world of absurdity, we must
    invent reason; we must create
    beauty out of nothingness."
    -- Elie Wiesel

Gary Arthur Weaver: 18 July 1942 - 29 December 2006

So this is the final Dapper release. It is looking good. And it is easy to use. Good distro.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    Bigboogie on boogienights.net:
    Ammo case
    Asus 8N32 SLI MB
    AMD Athlon x2 3800+
    2 GB Patriot Signature 400 DDR
    160 GB Hitachi 7200 IDE
    2 x-250 Seagate SATA2
    EVGA Nvidia 7900GT
    Dell 2007WFP
    Logitech 5.1 speakers
    Logitech MX1000 mouse
    Dell USB keyboard
    NEC 3500 DVD-RW
    Benq 1655 DVD-RW

(God bless tax refunds)

Smile Re: Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Edubuntu/Xubuntu 6.06 Released

Hello, 'hard candy'.
    Quote Originally Posted by hard candy
    So this is the final Dapper release. It is looking good. And it is easy to use. Good distro.
    I read many good things about this release while it was under development.

I pay special attention to comments by JustLinux moderators, so your brief message gives me even more incentive to get this distribution.

I am still waiting for my free retail SuSE Linux 10.1 DVD (with documentation on a CD and no installation support from Novell/SuSE, of course). I want to install it first on my trusty 2.0-GHz Pentium-4 computer (now, my Linux-only computer).

I wanted to install Debian or a Debian derivative, but I have been convinced (very easily) by a forum discussion in JustLinux to go for Debian ("Sarge"), so I will install it next on my "Linux computer."

Perhaps Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Edubuntu/Xubuntu 6.06 will be my third (or second) Linux installation. (I have two 128-GB Seagate hard drives in my Linux system, one for distributions and the other for backups; there is also room for a third hard drive if I enable RAID on the motherboard.)

Thanks for your time, 'hard candy'!

Cordially,

David
    Linux Distribution: Debian GNU/Linux (Desktop & Server)

Registered Linux User # 315892
    <http://ddickerson.igc.org/>

"In a world of absurdity, we must
    invent reason; we must create
    beauty out of nothingness."
    -- Elie Wiesel

Gary Arthur Weaver: 18 July 1942 - 29 December 2006

I installed Dapper under QEMU the day it came out and I've got to say I'm seriously impressed. The desktop distribution is actually a Live CD. When you boot it up, it comes up exactly as it would be if it were installed to the hard drive (minus a little performance, of course). To install Ubuntu, you just double click on the "Install" link on the desktop. The install is so simple, it's stupid. Seriously, the only question you need to answer is what time zone you're located in. Everything else is done automatically, and after a few minutes of copying files, you're ready to reboot into your new Ubuntu system. I like my SuSE setup with KDE and I'll continue to stick with it, but I would have no trouble recommending Ubuntu to someone who has never used a Free Software OS before.
    Registered Linux User No. 321,742

"At Harvard they have this policy where if you pass too many classes they ask you to leave."
    ---Richard M. Stallman

It's getting more and more like Windows every day, eh?

[grabs fire extinguisher]

I'm downloading it now, actually.
    -------------
    Folding is Fun

I thought I made a mistake once, but, of course, I was mistaken.

Im using ubuntu right now, I think its pretty good. The main thing ubuntu is missing is a good control panel type affair, like yast2 or the MCC. A lot of the tools are for gnome envorinment and as a kde user the admim functions ends up feeling really inconstistant to me.

Speaking of Suse i tried 10.1 a bit and its package manager is god awfull slow. Im sure it will get fixed someday, but that was pretty much a huge turn off for me.
    but really, i dont know what im talking about.