Got FON? $1 routers until 6/8 (that's 8 June for you Euro types )

Thread: Got FON? $1 routers until 6/8 (that's 8 June for you Euro types )

Got FON? $1 routers until 6/8 (that's 8 June for you Euro types )

FON

I got the router a few months back and my community WIFI is up and running, but it keeps disappearing off the FON maps. New start-up having problems. Good for North America and Europe only, sorry you guys who are on the other side of the world.
    Router is steady.
    "In the future, you will be able to register with any of these three profiles, and your decision will depend on your own personal needs. But, for the present, let us remind you that FON is in an experimental Beta phase and is only available for Linus. A Linus is any user who shares his/her WiFi in exchange for free access throughout the Community wherever there is coverage. A Bill is a user who, instead of roaming for free, prefers to receive 50% of the fees that FON charges to Aliens. And Aliens are those users who do not share their WiFi access and therefore must pay FON a modest fee every time they connect through a Fonero access point."

I'm a Linus.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    Bigboogie on boogienights.net:
    Ammo case
    Asus 8N32 SLI MB
    AMD Athlon x2 3800+
    2 GB Patriot Signature 400 DDR
    160 GB Hitachi 7200 IDE
    2 x-250 Seagate SATA2
    EVGA Nvidia 7900GT
    Dell 2007WFP
    Logitech 5.1 speakers
    Logitech MX1000 mouse
    Dell USB keyboard
    NEC 3500 DVD-RW
    Benq 1655 DVD-RW

(God bless tax refunds)

Me Too

Yep, I'm a Linus as well.
    (Thank's for the Link HC)

BaVinic
    Registered Linux User #285413
    ----------------------------------------

Shut the Gates, and Close the Windows
    Linux has arrived

How does FON work when the internet speed is 'shaped' after a certain amount of usage? What kind of internet account (speed, usage before speed reduction) is best for FON?

I have cable internet, and I have the Fon router and my personal router hooked up to the cable modem via a sensing switch. The times I have tested the FON router while downloading an iso image via my personal router, the speed dropped about as much as you would figure for a download in progress. I have an 8 MB/s connection and the use of my FON router by others has been very little so far.
    From the FON site:
    "Thursday, May 25, 2006
    Two SSID's - just what you asked for!

A number of users suggested FON enhance the firmware to allow two SSID’s. Well it’s happening in the third release due in about 45 days. The router will now have two completely separate environments; one private, one public. Please keep the suggestions coming!"
    FON blog
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    Bigboogie on boogienights.net:
    Ammo case
    Asus 8N32 SLI MB
    AMD Athlon x2 3800+
    2 GB Patriot Signature 400 DDR
    160 GB Hitachi 7200 IDE
    2 x-250 Seagate SATA2
    EVGA Nvidia 7900GT
    Dell 2007WFP
    Logitech 5.1 speakers
    Logitech MX1000 mouse
    Dell USB keyboard
    NEC 3500 DVD-RW
    Benq 1655 DVD-RW

(God bless tax refunds)

Great stuff, we have in Bern an entire community working on free WiFi.

However, what I don't really get: what happens if someone connects to your router and does something illegal that alerts the authorities? The IP address will directly lead them to your door...

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

However, what I don't really get: what happens if someone connects to your router and does something illegal that alerts the authorities? The IP address will directly lead them to your door...
    Maybe you could put a router in between the WiFi access point and your internet connection and set it up as a Tor proxy.
    Registered Linux User No. 321,742

"At Harvard they have this policy where if you pass too many classes they ask you to leave."
    ---Richard M. Stallman