Windows Vista Beta can be downloaded...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows Vista Beta can be downloaded...

Windows Vista Beta can be downloaded...

I know, I know, you are thinking why the h*** is he posting about this?? Here!!??
    Well, the downloads are not going so well according to the Anandtech forum, so I thought, I'm not busy, let's see what kind of server is being hammered 'cause I was thinking it was probably Windows 2003 sever. Lo and behold:
    According to Netcraft, Site info, click on the uptime graph
    Site http://download.windowsvista.com Last reboot unkown
    Domain windowsvista.com
    Netblock owner Akamai Technologies
    IP address 80.67.87.41 Site rank unknown
    Country US
    Nameserver ns1.msft.net
    Date first seen unknown
    DNS admin msnhst@microsoft.com
    Domain Registry register.com
    Reverse DNS unknown
    Organisation Microsoft Corporation, One Microsoft Way, Redmond, 98052, United States Nameserver Organisation Microsoft Corporation, One Microsoft Way, Redmond, 98052, United States
    Uptime graph:
    Linux unknown 8-Jun-2006 84.45.224.7 ADSL endpoints NAT conections only

Vista download site
    So is the Vista download via Linux OS servers? What about TCO?
    I realize Akamai owns the servers, but I was impressed the servers were getting hammered so hard and had yet to produce a 404 message. Go linux!
    Last edited by hard candy; 06-08-2006 at 01:31 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    Bigboogie on boogienights.net:
    Ammo case
    Asus 8N32 SLI MB
    AMD Athlon x2 3800+
    2 GB Patriot Signature 400 DDR
    160 GB Hitachi 7200 IDE
    2 x-250 Seagate SATA2
    EVGA Nvidia 7900GT
    Dell 2007WFP
    Logitech 5.1 speakers
    Logitech MX1000 mouse
    Dell USB keyboard
    NEC 3500 DVD-RW
    Benq 1655 DVD-RW

(God bless tax refunds)

A web server isn't going to 404 because it's getting hit too hard (as long as it's not buggy). It may give a 500 error, or maybe a 503 (service unavailable), or it may just refuse the connection. But 404 is reserved for "the item you asked for doesn't seem to be here at the moment".

As for the Linux -- that's almost assuredly the Akamai server, not anything inside Microsoft. The Akamai server probably just re-directs the request to whatever Microsoft's server is (as a caching HTTP proxy); I believe that's one way to use their service. What would be interesting is to see the actual response headers (specifically the Server: header) in the HTTP response that downloads the actual file. I'm thinking that will be IIS, and knowing Microsoft, it's likely version 6.

vista 64

got it downloaded but it cannot seem to work on my amd 64 just fails at setup other than that its awsome

Erm , those of you that downloaded it, why are you downloading Microsoft Beta software? We all know from long experience that Microsofts final release software is of exquivalent quality to an open source beta software... please tell me why you are surprised?
    Feel free to PM me for help

Using PCLinuxos 2007 on my laptop and 2009 on my Desktop and proud of it!

Desktop:
    AMD Phenom II x2 545 3GB DDR2 RAM 500GB SATA,250GB SATA, 250GB IDE, ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 DDR3
    Laptop:
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 (2.2) 2GB RAM, 160GB Sata HDD, nVidia 8600GM 512MB

Please come back and tell us if your problem is solved, it may help others, and stop us from wondering what happened.

Transplanted from beautiful La Quinta, CA to Long Beach, CA...there are no stars here at night!
    Quote Originally Posted by nikodell
    got it downloaded but it cannot seem to work on my amd 64 just fails at setup other than that its awsome
    Coffee -> Mouth -> Nose -> Keyboard
    You caught me off guard with that one...LOL.

Erm , those of you that downloaded it, why are you downloading Microsoft Beta software?
    Theme designers want to get started right away on making KDE and GNOME look as much like Vista as possible.
    Registered Linux User No. 321,742

"At Harvard they have this policy where if you pass too many classes they ask you to leave."
    ---Richard M. Stallman

Well I'm going to fire up VMWare, and see what all this crap is about. Though from reviews I read it isn't all the great, most people agree you should stick with XP if you use windows. I'm still using 2000 pro, because all I do is play some games on it.

Quote Originally Posted by leonpmu
    Erm , those of you that downloaded it, why are you downloading Microsoft Beta software?
    Probably they ran out of coasters.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Ok, the file system need at least 24GB!? You guys think SuSE is bloated.

You must have your drivers on CD, or it won't install.

I feel like I'm battling the installer right now, and I'm loosing, I'm going to take one more go using some information I got off a VMWare forum.

I'll put screen shots up of the stupidity of this as soon as I can.

God this is awful, and I know lots of morons who are going to want me to install this tripe on their computers.

Does this mean that Windows isn't ready for the desktop?

Seriously though, I wonder why so many people are having so many problems with Windows Vista. Before Ubuntu released Dapper Drake, people were using it for months beforehand and had few complaints. Some people even run the unstable or testing branch of Debian full-time. Isn't this how beta software is supposed to work: a few problems to iron out, but mostly complete and working? From what I've heard, it seems like this new version of Windows is pretty far from being from ready to be deployed on millions of desktops and workstations all over the world.
    Registered Linux User No. 321,742

"At Harvard they have this policy where if you pass too many classes they ask you to leave."
    ---Richard M. Stallman

Counter Strike

well I admit i play counter strike on windows and I was relieved that I could get the beta VISTA to use as my XP64 trial version was due to run out in days. so I try Vista which I did get installed my problem was that I needed a preformated partition at at least 14gb so it would not even run the installer but i figured it out

By the way it sucks for counter strike I get les than half the frame rate than i did from XP

Quote Originally Posted by Piko
    I feel like I'm battling the installer right now, and I'm loosing
    The fun doesn't really start until you got it installed. Already posted this link over at "Hating Microsoft in a nutshell", but in case you haven't seen it yet it's worth a read:

Visual Tour: 20 Things You Won't Like About Windows Vista

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Quote Originally Posted by paj12
    Seriously though, I wonder why so many people are having so many problems with Windows Vista.
    Because no matter how many people Microsoft hires, they will never be able to get the kind of manpower that most Linux distros have.

How many people work on KDE or GNOME? How many people occasionally submit patches to either project? What about X? What about every other open-source package you have installed? Every distro gets the benefit of having all those people, working on the code they distribute. Not to mention that if you run into a bug in one of these beta versions (or even in a "stable" version), and you're a programmer, you can probably fix it yourself because you have the source.

Before Ubuntu released Dapper Drake, people were using it for months beforehand and had few complaints. Some people even run the unstable or testing branch of Debian full-time. Isn't this how beta software is supposed to work: a few problems to iron out, but mostly complete and working?
    It's how beta software works in the open-source world. "Beta" in the closed-source world basically means "this sucks, don't go anywhere near it unless you enjoy pain".

As far as "is windows not ready for the desktop?", I don't think it's been ready for the desktop for the last ten years. But see, almost nobody installs it from scratch, so almost nobody sees this kind of crap. Everyone buys a computer with it preinstalled, and the computer manufacturers have enormous support resources at Microsoft. Not that those support people can actually fix the code, but they can recommend workarounds, etc., so the OEMs can get their images up and running. And once they have an image, they just drop it down on every new hard drive they send out the door.

The guy who wrote this article must be basing his ideas of Linux off 4 year old screen shots he found in a back issue of Linux Format.

Trying to do any work on Windows is imposable for me now. I just can't do it. It's so frustrating. No multi desktop, no super powerful file browser, no 1000+ apps to help me out. No wonderful SFTP, FTP, SMB, SVN, and so on protocols in one system, all intergrated in the greatest file browser ever, Konqueror! What would I do with out LInux... Wow, I don't think I would be a computer scientist if the world was without Linux.

Vista is crap, I couldn't get past the first install screen.
    Last edited by Piko; 06-10-2006 at 08:10 PM.

Apparently Linux has moved up from Office '97 to Windows 2000. We've gained 3 years.