GNU Hurd 1.0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GNU Hurd 1.0

GNU Hurd 1.0

Creating yet another OS kernel is such a waste. They could be helping Linux. Why? just why? Because RMS want's his *own*

Hurd is misguiding programmers to work on things that have already been done when they could be innovating. and for what? Because RMS want's his *credit* he keeps whining about.

credit is nothign more than fuel for someones worthless pride. That will not help FOSS, it will hold it back.

what a waste
    Last edited by zeroth; 06-09-2006 at 11:15 AM.
    Registered Linux User #383705 - http://counter.li.org/
    laptop pentium16 1400ghz Gentoo 2012.1 e23/kde6.0
    desktop pentium16 1500ghz Debian 5.01

GNU hurd was the missing part, that GNU project needed to make there own GNU UNIX. when linus wrote the linux kernel he basically finished what the GNU project needed to launch a working unix like os. Programmers around the world help recode GNU tools to work with the linux kernel. That is how gnu/linux was born.

It doesn't even make since for the GNU to help linux. They were never part of linux and never wanted to be. RMS is a god , with out his visions we would never have FSF or most of the GNU tools that makes linux run. I also do agree that RMS
    a*S**** . I can see both sides to the story of RMS.
    "Software is like sex: it's better when its free."
    -LINUS TORVALDS

Quote Originally Posted by crow2icedearth
    GNU hurd was the missing part, that GNU project needed to make there own GNU UNIX. when linus wrote the linux kernel he basically finished what the GNU project needed to launch a working unix like os. Programmers around the world help recode GNU tools to work with the linux kernel. That is how gnu/linux was born.
    GNU didn't need to make its OWN, it needed to make one thats FREE for the world to use. We achieved that. its time to move on.

It doesn't even make since for the GNU to help linux. They were never part of linux and never wanted to be.
    Free Open Source Software exists to benifit humanity. there is no competition in FOSS software because there is no profit. It makes perfect sense for GNU to help Linux. FOSS is FOSS, it doesn't matter *who* made it, it belongs to humanity, anybody has access to the sourcecode unless they violate that rule.

RMS is a god
    Words cannot express how moronic that statement is.
    Last edited by zeroth; 06-09-2006 at 11:52 AM.

RMS is a god
    Watch it with that statement, because God might send over some Angels of Death and perhaps a few plagues to do away with Stallman and his Free Software Foundation.

Stallman is not a god, a prophet, perhaps, but a god? NO.
    "Who is General Failure and why is he reading my Hard Drive?"
    Linux OSes I use: Gentoo, and Linux From Scratch.
    Current Screen Shot
    Join a good cause and start folding today!Join the Just Linux Regulars team!

Quote Originally Posted by Seph64
    Stallman is not a god, a prophet, perhaps, but a god? NO.
    I prefer "raving lunatic"
    He's the type of person that takes a good idea and blows it so far out of proportion that it becomes a joke and can not be taken seriously by anyone other than "raving lunatic's".

/me adds 2 cents to the penny jar

It should be pointed out that the article you're talking about is satire. The HURD is still in development and probably will continue to be for a long time. Development on the HURD should get a boost, however, since it has been accepted to the Google Summer of Code.

The HURD fulfills the same function as the Linux kernel, but that's where the similarities end. The HURD is a collection of servers that run on top of a microkernel. In this respect, the HURD is closer to Minix than it is to Linux. This has a couple of advantages: it keeps only a bare minimum of code running in kernel mode, so it's more secure; and it can restart individual servers when they crash without taking down the whole machine, so it's more reliable.

For more information about why a microkernel architecture is preferable to what we currently have with Linux, check out this article by Andrew Tannenbaum.
    Registered Linux User No. 321,742

"At Harvard they have this policy where if you pass too many classes they ask you to leave."
    ---Richard M. Stallman

GNU didn't need to make its OWN, it needed to make one thats FREE for the world to use. We achieved that. its time to move on.
    i agree with that statement. its been done with the linux kernel. There is no point to make hurd now a days.
    -LINUS TORVALDS

GNU hurd was the missing part, that GNU project needed to make there own GNU UNIX.
    i should rephrase that. what i meant to say is the GNU project needed a kernel to make the gnu/system work. When linus developed the linux kernel we had a complete unix like operation system. which was packaged as gnu/linux .

sorry if i made it sound like the GNU project needed to create there own kernel. we just needed one that would work. and linus provided a free kernel for that.
    -LINUS TORVALDS

well RMS might not be a god , but he is one of the main reasons we have linux today !!!.

prefer "raving lunatic"
    i totally agree.
    -LINUS TORVALDS

Quote Originally Posted by paj12
    It should be pointed out that the article you're talking about is satire.
    I had considered that, and I wasn't quite sure how they could build a kernel off of emacs .... heh.

it keeps only a bare minimum of code running in kernel mode, so it's more secure; and it can restart individual servers when they crash without taking down the whole machine, so it's more reliable.
    Sounds like BSD. however, never used BSD (maybe someday)
    Thanks for settign me straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus
    He's the type of person that takes a good idea and blows it so far out of proportion that it becomes a joke and can not be taken seriously by anyone other than "raving lunatic's".
    I agree. Unfortuanately, I feel the same way about Linux sometimes. As soon as the word "Linux" comes out of my mouth they (if they know what it is) roll their eyes and flip me the bird real inconspiculously.
    Last edited by zeroth; 06-09-2006 at 12:39 PM.

Hurd is a microkernel, which is supposed to be better and faster than a monolithic kernel like Linux. There's lots of argument about that, but I think Hurd is probably technically better than linux....I'll run it if they ever get decent nvidia drivers
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

i agree with that statement. its been done with the linux kernel. There is no point to make hurd now a days.
    Your trolling is about thirty years late. There has been more than one UNIX kernel ever since BSD forked Bell Labs' UNIX. The HURD is simply another alternative in a sea of UNIX-like kernels.

Why is there so much hatred towards the HURD? People don't honestly believe there should be only one UNIX-like kernel, do they? The people who develop HURD aren't actively sabotaging Linux, they're just trying to develop an alternative that people can choose if they want. You remember choice, don't you? It's the reason Free Software exists, so people can choose something other than serfdom at the hands of proprietary software vendors.

I think the HURD is good for Free Software, especially if all the good things we've heard about microkernels actually pan out. It'll be interesting to have another choice.

"At Harvard they have this policy where if you pass too many classes they ask you to leave."
    ---Richard M. Stallman

[QUOTE=Stallman is not a god, a prophet, perhaps, but a god? NO.[/QUOTE]

I thought he was "non-prophet"?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    Bigboogie on boogienights.net:
    Ammo case
    Asus 8N32 SLI MB
    AMD Athlon x2 3800+
    2 GB Patriot Signature 400 DDR
    160 GB Hitachi 7200 IDE
    2 x-250 Seagate SATA2
    EVGA Nvidia 7900GT
    Dell 2007WFP
    Logitech 5.1 speakers
    Logitech MX1000 mouse
    Dell USB keyboard
    NEC 3500 DVD-RW
    Benq 1655 DVD-RW

(God bless tax refunds)

Your trolling is about thirty years late. There has been more than one UNIX kernel ever since BSD forked Bell Labs' UNIX. The HURD is simply another alternative in a sea of UNIX-like kernels.

Why is there so much hatred towards the HURD? People don't honestly believe there should be only one UNIX-like kernel, do they? The people who develop HURD aren't actively sabotaging Linux, they're just trying to develop an alternative that people can choose if they want. You remember choice, don't you? It's the reason Free Software exists, so people can choose something other than serfdom at the hands of proprietary software vendors.

I think the HURD is good for Free Software, especially if all the good things we've heard about microkernels actually pan out. It'll be interesting to have another choice.
    This is one of those "Chicken and Egg" debates.

You say: There are lots of kernels, and I like the choices.

I say: The total amount of expertise on every kernel when focused on just one or two would drastically increase their functionality and stability at a much faster rate.

Neither of us are wrong.

I say: The total amount of expertise on every kernel when focused on just one or two would drastically increase their functionality and stability at a much faster rate.
    When an improvement is made to one Free Software kernel, all Free Software kernels benefit because the source code is there for all to learn from and possibly incorporate into their project of choice.

I thought he was "non-prophet"?
    No. He's for "phree as in phreedom".

---Richard M. Stallman