intel duo vs. amd turion?

Thread: intel duo vs. amd turion?

intel duo vs. amd turion?

Hey all,
    man, it been I awhile since I last posted but anyway...

I am looking into buying a laptop and have a question about the different processors offered and I am looking for people who own these two processors and can offer advice.

the two laptop processors I have been looking at are: the intel duo and the amd turion.

Does anyone have advice towards the two processors? the pro and cons of either processors? I am planning to use this laptop for word proccessing, gaming, and art and video editing.

thanks for any input,
    Schunn99
    Last edited by schunn99; 06-13-2006 at 11:32 PM. Reason: typos

Are you thinking about a Turion X2 (i.e. dual core)? If so, chances are the Turion's better. Actually I don't know a lot about Intel's duo, but AMD's products are king for the moment. I read some stuff about how Intel's dual core design wasn't very good, but I'm not sure if it's true.
    For gaming, AMD is superior. Well it's actually superior for most stuff. But again, I don't know how well this applies to Intel core duo. I don't believe it to be a great product though.

Here's an advice which might be more useful: do you need your laptop quickly? Now might be a pretty bad time to buy one if you're not in a hurry. Intel's Conroe should be released not too far from now, and they would have very low prices, based on some "leaked" information. Even if they aren't as low as thought, AMD will probably have to drop its prices to match them. I could go on about this for a while, but bottom line is I believe CPU prices will go down in a few months.
    We are proud to say that no tests have been made on animals to provide you this post. Also, we can assure you that if it would be necessary to do tests, we wouldn't use penguins for it.
    Disclaimer: the author of this post is NOT responsible for any moral and/or physical damage this post could cause to you.

Write for the LNO magazine!
    Catalogued Collection of Annotated Examples - CodeExamples.org
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way - definitely read this

As a generalization, INtel processors do better at video processing, I think this is due to their instruction set and higher FSB, maybe the larger L2 cache as well.
    Temperature wise, the Intels may run a bit hotter, which could make some difference in a laptop sitting on your legs.
    A thread on Anandtech which answers your question it says the core duo should be better, UNLESS you want to run a 64 bit OS, then go with the Turion.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    Bigboogie on boogienights.net:
    Ammo case
    Asus 8N32 SLI MB
    AMD Athlon x2 3800+
    2 GB Patriot Signature 400 DDR
    160 GB Hitachi 7200 IDE
    2 x-250 Seagate SATA2
    EVGA Nvidia 7900GT
    Dell 2007WFP
    Logitech 5.1 speakers
    Logitech MX1000 mouse
    Dell USB keyboard
    NEC 3500 DVD-RW
    Benq 1655 DVD-RW

(God bless tax refunds)

I have the older centrino chipset and in terms of battery life vs performance it a bit better than my mates notebook with a turion processor. However we are talking about 20 minutes difference over 4 hours while on battery.