Is SUSE10.1 really as bad as it seems? - Page 2

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is SUSE10.1 really as bad as it seems?

i disagree

I have problems on the 2 systems i am still using it on after the updates and it is still dog slow at times and forgert trying to let beagle and zmd to be going if you want anything done in this lifetime.

Worst of all is the fact that it will frag your hardware settings at times you got me I had to reinstall to get mt TV card and sound up at one point faster than the continued search for the reason it was happening.
    Yes i write this to you on SuSE 10.1 running fine now?

I do not ever again wish to have a computer without kalarm installed, or something that is so close I can't tell the difference without reading the ABOUT. Period; end of debate.

I tried OpenSuSE 10.1

and gave it a fair run on a Toshiba Laptop and my AMD Duron 1.2 GHz desktop.

Speed: Faster than 10.0 on both systems.
    XGL: Well the image looked better, sharper, clearer but that was about the only thing I noticed.

Other than that, I had problems with the following:
    1. Unable to perform update on laptop: YaST2 would crash and burn.
    2. Sometimes the automount would work and other times not.
    3. My Canon LiDE 35 scanner that works fine with XSane on 10.0 wouldn't work no matter what I tried on either 10.1 system.
    4. Open Office wouldn't remember any settings I entered plus the Auto correct changes / settings I made wouldn't function at all.
    5. Every once in a while Mozilla Firefox and Evolution would exit with no crash message or warning.
    6. Some random apps in KDE would fail to start or run for long before they quit with no error messages.
    7. The system just stopped recognizing my USB drives when I would plug them in! Nothing I have done seems to have gotten this back. So I will have to install a second drive and mount it so I can copy the 35GB of files I need to save before I slick the drive for OpenSuSE 10.0.

Over all I was really disappointed with 10.1. So I am back on 10.0 on the laptop and it's working great (except wireless... I have never been able to get ndis-wrappers to work with my Linksys Wireless-G 2.4GHz 802.11g PCMIA wireless nic.) The desktop will be converted later this week, after I get a blank drive installed and mounted it will be gone back to OpenSuSE 10.0. At least it is reliable.

In a nut shell, 10.1 is a real disappointment, reminicnent of the recent flubs of the 9.1-9.3 series that came out of Novel (I had some serious issues with those as well!). I gave it a good couple months try out and it just sucks when compared to 10.0. So bottom line, 10.0 is the best from Novel SuSE yet. Lets hope they get it together soon. Or else Linux will be toast in the US after that crap ware Vista hits the streets.
    Last edited by MkIII_Supra; 07-10-2006 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Clarification of post information.
    One by one the penguins steal my sanity...

Vanpooling now...

Someone in the #suse chat on irc.freenode.org told me that updating solves a lot of the problems with SUSE 10.1; i guess that he(?) was talking about the yast online update. I didn't get that far with 10.1 before giving up, and that may have been where I went wrong. I'm quite happy with 10.0, and I think I'm going to stay put for a while.
    Last edited by blackbelt_jones; 07-10-2006 at 02:15 AM.

One Newbie installed 10.1

Hi
    One Newbie friend of mine installed 10.1 (AMD 64 version). As he's Finnish, I'll paraphrase the gist.
    Worked like a charm. But, only after the updates. Sound, video, etc, got DC++ running under Wine. And he's been using Linux less than 3 months.
    All the more surprising, since I told him not to install 10.1 over 10.0, because of all I'd heard.
    I guess it's maybe the hardware....
    This helped... http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/254/42/
    -Cheers
    -Andy

Im using suse 10.1 on my desktop athlon 64 3200
    and laptop HP/Compaq nx 9005 athlon 2600
    After updates and using smart as package manager i am happy with suse 10.1, i admit it had some bugs but most are squased.
    Suse 10.2 WILL be mutch better out of the box with all the new stuff more mature.

I haven't had the chance to install 10.1 yet. However, I have poked around with 10.0. It was nice but it seemed a little "off" to me. I've used Suse since 7.1 and have bought almost every version since then. I downloaded and installed the OSS 10.0 and used it for a month or so. It just seemed to be a little unstable so now I'm back with my trusty 9.3 (laugh if you will. ). I haven't really heard anything good about 10.1 so I think I'll hold off until 10.2 comes about.

If Suse (Novell) does drop KDE, I guess Slackware will go from 2nd to 1st in my lineup. Hopefully Novell gets their stuff straight. It would be a shame to see them totally screw up an awesome distro with a great reputation.
    I do not want to tip toe through life just to arrive safely at death.

There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.
    -- Ayn Rand

Novell has officially gone with gnome as default, but KDE is still an option at install

So the moral of the story appears to be
    Don't judge 10.1 unitl you've done the update.

Quote Originally Posted by happybunny
    Novell has officially gone with gnome as default, but KDE is still an option at install
    Now that makes perfect sense to me. Losing it as an option would be plain crazy.
    Last edited by blackbelt_jones; 07-11-2006 at 11:59 AM.

Talking no problems here

Hello Everyone,

I have only been using Suse 10.1 for 3 weeks now, in a corporate env., but I have had only good things to say. I've not had any of the issues that you all have stated above.

thanks,

I tried it again, and still it was giving me a hard time. This time, I was finding it difficult to upgrade, and I was unable to install crucial packages like mplayer and fluxbox from the online sources.

And so, once again, I've reinstalled SUSE10.0-- however, this time I've had the foresight to partition off 12GB for 10.1, and any other experiments I may decide to undertake in the future.

Could it be my hardware? I'm running an old machine now, a Pentium 2, and since 10.0 runs on this machine without a hitch, is it a reasonable hypothesis that something in the upgrade to 10.1 leaves older machines behind?

No Problems 4 Me with SuSE 10.1

I am using Suse 10.1 on my work laptop (Compaq nx7010) and at home on my desktop machine. The only thing is that I did both as a fresh install and not an upgrade from 10.0. I didn't have much data on my laptop so I backed up what I had and deleted the linux partitions and install 10.1 freshly. I had the same luxury on my desktop machine at home. I recently built a new box and installed 10.1 from scratch.

I haven't had any slowness issues on either box (even with beagle still running).

My only issues have been at home with multimedia. When I go to web sites with videos embedded in flash (youtube.com type videos) my browser crashes everytime. Flash animation works fine though. Despite uninstalling and reinstalling flash and other video player plugins, I haven't been able to get it to work.

I also can't get any programs to play nicely with my iPod. Amarok sort or works but crashes often while coping files.

Other than these things I am very happy with Suse. (I work around the issues because I have Ubuntu on my home laptop and multimedia works fiine on that.) I've also got Xgl on my Suse desktop and everything looks very pretty. I really like the eye candy and my kids really thing the 3d-cube window switcher.

I guess that I am in the minority.

Quote Originally Posted by ShogunMaster
    I am using Suse 10.1 on my work laptop (Compaq nx7010) and at home on my desktop machine. The only thing is that I did both as a fresh install and not an upgrade from 10.0. I didn't have much data on my laptop so I backed up what I had and deleted the linux partitions and install 10.1 freshly. I had the same luxury on my desktop machine at home. I recently built a new box and installed 10.1 from scratch.

I haven't had any slowness issues on either box (even with beagle still running).

My only issues have been at home with multimedia. When I go to web sites with videos embedded in flash (youtube.com type videos) my browser crashes everytime. Flash animation works fine though. Despite uninstalling and reinstalling flash and other video player plugins, I haven't been able to get it to work.

I also can't get any programs to play nicely with my iPod. Amarok sort or works but crashes often while coping files.

Other than these things I am very happy with Suse. (I work around the issues because I have Ubuntu on my home laptop and multimedia works fiine on that.) I've also got Xgl on my Suse desktop and everything looks very pretty. I really like the eye candy and my kids really thing the 3d-cube window switcher.

I guess that I am in the minority.
    I don't know if you're in the minority. Based on my inquires here, and in the #suse chatroom, I'd call it roughly a fifty-fifty split. But what causes that split? There are definitely issues with Suse 10.1. The obvious question is: "Issues for whom?" Is it my hardware or my knowledge that makes the difference? All I know for sure is that SUSE10.0 runs like a dream for me.

As I've said, I've set aside 12 GBs of hard drive space to try to get a handle on SUSE10.1 at my convenience, without sacrificing my system in the experiment. If I can get it on working on my old hardware, I will.

USE SMART!!! It's really smart.

Alright, the only good way to run SuSE 10.1 is with Smart.

After the ZMD went beserk on me, and KILLED MY SERVER!! I reinstalled SuSE 10.1, and used Smart for all the updating, and package management.

Not only does smart not take up resources when it's not being used, it works. Also with SuSE Guru's version, his repository, and Pack Man's repository are in by default. So after one update with Smart your video playback works 100% with xine, and mplayer. You get the latest version of KDE, and also adding new repositories is a snap.

I use cron to activate "smart --update && smart upgrade --yes" every week now, and it works just the way I want. I uninstalled ZMD, and libzypp-zmd-backend.

Also I run 2.6.16.20-20.1 kernel from software.suse.org

Smile

I installed Suse 10.1 on my old p3 450 out of curiosity to see if i would have problems on this older computer, the install was slow at least 3x normal and after the install it was really slow, then i went into yast to see if DMA was on and it was not on, i tried to set it on but it errored out, i then installed smart and did a update and tried again to set DMA on but no luck, then rebooted and DMA was on automaticly so the most resent update seams to have fixed this DMA problem.

Just to be sure that DMA was on i played a dvd and it played fine and dvds do not play smoothly on this old computer without DMA on.

So if with older computer do the updates and turn DMA on.

I really hope novell is not starving Suse, i have not heard of so many problems before.