Firefox/Swiftfox startup time

Thread: Firefox/Swiftfox startup time

Firefox/Swiftfox startup time [SOLVED]

Hello,

I am an avid firefox/swiftfox fan - the rendering is great and there are some really cool themes and extensions. My only gripe with it is the startup time. I have spent hours trawling through various forums and howtos trying to figure out how I can make swiftfox load in less than 10 seconds (that is initialize the program). The time taken to start up does not decrease with the number of times I launch it. I have tried prelinking - no difference. I installed preload (have had it on for a number of hours now and I have restarted the browser many times) - no difference either. I have disabled ipv6 and applied all the rendering tweaks so the rendering works very well - it's just the startup. I know windows has the firefox preloader and I think it has a system tray extension as well, but does linux have something, anything that will make this beautiful application start faster?
    Last edited by Fedoration; 07-11-2006 at 06:58 AM.

Don't like the rendering too much(this page is terrible - I am writing in a text box about 1.5cm wide), but opera sure is fast. It opens instantaneously if I leave it in the kicker tray and takes 4-5 seconds ion a cold start. The rendering speed isn't bad either, but the rendering quality is definitely poor compared to firefox.

Nice. If you are tired of having slow firefox startup, check this out. Not quite as fast as opera at starting up, but it's a price I'm willing to pay for the quality of the rendering in firefox as opposed to opera and my nice firefox extensions. I think opera is very good with it's plugins (it takes my firefox ones straight off), but it's extensions could be added to. Every man and his dog now has a firefox extension.

Dear lord, are you schizophrenic, or did you just answer your own question. But seriously, I am just confused.

Edit: Just saw the "solved" title. Don't know if it was just changed or what, but never freakin' mind!
    Last edited by TheSpeedoBeast; 07-12-2006 at 01:59 AM.

I just kept looking for a solution. Probably should have been working, but it was annoying me very much. I had to use alien to convert it to a deb for ubuntu and the feature allowing startup with kde doesn't work. I added a startup script and a shutdown script to fix that (on my machine). In the long term, though, I think I will shrink my 80GB windows partition and give some over to kubuntu. I like the idea of mounting firefox and abiword to RAM.