build my skills in this area.

How can you help me in this
    area? I'll really appreciate
    any info on the basics and
    how to grow in this.

Expecting your responses.

Winston

Hello Winston ,

I would suggest searching Google with the search terms " Linux " or trawling through your local library for books related to linux . Have you installed Linux yet ? I would suggest trying out LiveCds to take Linux out for a test drive to see wheter this what you really would like . A few newbie friendly distros are possibly , Ubuntu , SUSE , Mepis , Mandriva and such . Come over to #justlinux on the freenode network to hand out with us to learn more .

#98 +(5627)- [X]
    <ikkenai> i don't have hard drives. i just keep 30 chinese teenagers in my basement and force them to memorize numbers
    Courtesy of bash.org

Yes, a Live CD is the perfect way to get introduced to Linux. It will give you an idea of what Linux is all about. And google.com/linux is a friend. A very good friend.

But I believe the best way is to just jump in. You'll find youself thrashing and flaying about but you'll get the hang of it.

The distros recommended above are very good for beginners. And their forums are very helpful.

Here's what you do: Pick a distro, anyone, install it and just surf this or the distro's forum. See what's what. Install, remove and tweak some apps and if you screw-up, so what. It doesn't take but 30 mins or so to reinstall.

Jump in, the water's fine.

Good luck.

Hello Winston ,

What XbaxeSysAdmin said is a good place to start, search www.justlinux.com and www.google.com/linux also some good reading is http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
    Most Gnu/Linux at there heart are the same, they do differ in there Package managers. Spend time learning how to use them, but to start, do as XbaxeSysAdmin said and try a liveCD and you can get an idea what linux is like. Ubuntu has a liveCD you can download, there is also Knoppix.

Good luck
    Dan

In addition to the LiveCDs as recommended by others, you can also get VMWare software for free now. http://www.vmware.com/download/server/

VMWare allows you to install several concurrent OS's inside your current one.

For example, if you are currently running WindowsXP, without touching that install, you can have Ubuntu, Knoppix, or any other suggested distribution installed along side XP, allowing you to "get started in linux" without hindering your access to what you already know.

You can even download "apliances" from VMWare at http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/index.html.

Apliances are already installed images of different OS's, like linux & bsd. This will throw you head long into linux without needing to learn how each version handles installation.

Once you get familier with linux via these apliances, you can then install your own linux OS in VMWare, or, with luck, install directly over your XP install!