WinXP messin' with grub

Thread: WinXP messin' with grub

WinXP messin' with grub

Good day (or night if that be your case) All!

Here's my situation. Originally had a 80g ide hard drive with Debian, all is good. I then acquired a 320g sata drive. Installed WinXP in stand alone mode (ie I temporarily disconnected the 80g ide) on a 40g partition of the sata drive leaving the rest for Debian. Perhaps my bad, but there you go. Reconnected the 80g ide, went into bios and told it to boot the 80g first and then went and edited the grub device.map and menu.lst files (I'll post below). Couldn't find /etc/grub.conf...should I make one?

Okay, reboot and whalla...there's my grub menu. I choose Debian and all is well. I choose WinXP and the OS boots fine but a reboot and I get a grub 17 error....not so great. This happens everytime I boot to WinXP. It appears that win has changed the partition id of my /hda1 from 83 to 93 so I:
    #sfdisk –change-id /dev/hda 1 83
    And now I can boot Debian again.

I was thinking that maybe turning off the boot flag on sata would help but I'm not sure. Can anyone give some advice?

thanks all!!
    btw, the knoppix cd reports the sata as hdi.....I don't understand

device.map
    (hd0) /dev/hda
    (hd1) /dev/sda

menu.lst

title Debian
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-1-486 root=/dev/hda1 ro
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-1-486
    savedefault
    boot

title WinXP
    norootverify (hd1,0)
    hide (hd0,0)
    unhide (hd1,0)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    root (hd1,0)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

It isn't Windows changing the the partition type of your linux partition, but GRUB, specifically the hide command. You don't need to hide linux partitions from Windows since it doesn't recognise them anyway. AFAIK it is just Win9x that you need to use the hide command for if you are dual booting multiple versions of Windows and it is not installed on the first partition as it expects to be.

I had assumed it was windows as it only happened after booting windows. Thank you for setting me straight and deleting the hide command works great! Again thanks!