Unknown Unmountable Device

Thread: Unknown Unmountable Device

Unknown Unmountable Device

First off, I'm brand new to Linux, so this is probably something incredibly simple to fix.

Anyway, I just created a dual-boot system with Windows XP as my previous OS. I just put Mepis 6.0 on and I'm trying to learn how to do things in Linux.

I created a link to my Windows hard drive, and when I did, a link to a Floppy Disk device was also created, but I have no idea what it's linking to and it's unmountable. This device has appeared at other times and I'm not sure what I'm doing or not doing to cause it to appear, or what happens to make it go away. The only thing I can think of is that I've used a flash drive once or twice before I figured out how to view my Windows partition and it may think it's still there? When I plugged it back in I get a separate device link to my flash drive, but the Floppy Disk link still shows up. I took a snapshot of my desktop with the tooltip for the Floppy Disk showing.

Thanks for any input on this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Do you ever put floppies in the drive? If so, are they getting automounted? Did you put this link on your desktop with KDE (right-click...add device...)? And the floppy link just appears randomly?
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

Quote Originally Posted by je_fro
    Do you ever put floppies in the drive? If so, are they getting automounted? Did you put this link on your desktop with KDE (right-click...add device...)? And the floppy link just appears randomly?
    I have not used my floppy drive in a long time.

Yes, I used KDE's right click ... add to put it there.

And yes, as far as I can tell, it appears randomly.

Update: It may not be as random as I thought. It only seems to happen when I mount a new device (flash drive, CD Rom, etc.) and when I log out and log back in it's gone.

might try

lsof /dev/floppy or whatever the device name is

Soule
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag