how to multiboot win,lin,netbsd ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how to multiboot win,lin,netbsd ?

how to multiboot win,lin,netbsd ?

I have 2 40GB harddisks.

Well,
    Here's my plan

hd1
    ===
    -/boot lin,win, netbsd (ext3) 300M
    -win xp (ntfs) 10800M
    -shared netbsd,win,lin /home (fat32) 17000M
    -lin /usr (ext3) 3100M
    -netbsd /usr (ffs) 3000M
    -shared netbsd and linbsd swap (??) 600M
    -backup lin root (ext3) 3000M
    -backup netbsd root (ffs) 2000M
    -lin /tmp (ext3) 100M
    -netbsd /tmp (ffs) 100M

hd2
    ===
    -lin root (ext3) 3000M
    -netbsd root (ffs) 2000M
    -lin /var (ext3) 150M
    -netbsd /var (ffs) 150M
    -backup shared win,lin, /home 17000M
    -backup lin /usr and /opt (ext3) 3100M
    -backup netbsd /usr and /opt (ext3) 3000M
    -win swap (place for pagefile.sys, ntfs) 600M
    -mp3(fat32) 11000M

I need input about the first partition.
    Should I use /boot or not?
    Is 300M adequate enough to load 3 OS? Or too much? what fs should I use for it? What about MBR stuff?
    I'm confused with first partition before ntfs partition(in hd1).
    I want to use gag bootloader and it requires lilo for the linux.
    Or can you give advice for another bootloader that I should use?
    How to move my ntfs partition to give room 300M?(if necessary)
    Please give me notes,advice, caution,link to information,anything regarding the
    very first partition for multi OSes.
    Don't want bad thing happen(can't boot to OS).

What the best fdisk to create this whole partition? linux fdisk? netbsd fdisk? or
    linux fdisk forlinux, netbsd fdisk for netbsd, dos fdisk for windows?
    because I want to make the partition first and then the linux install cd and netbsd install cd would install into the allocated partitions.
    Or should I allocate when I'm doing the install?

Install netbsd first or linux first?

I already install winXP in hd1 with about 29200M unallocated space.
    hd2 is clean.

Thanx in advance.

This is what I would do in your situation:

1. Install Windows (you already did that)
    2. Fire up fdisk and create the desired Linux/BSD partitions. A /boot partition is a good idea if you don't install an automated Linux distro (like e.g. SuSE) that automatically alters it and gets rather po'ed when you do changes manually.
    3. Install Linux and let your distro install grub in the MBR of your hda. Make a backup of /boot/grub/grub.conf just in case.
    4. Install BSD. Allow it to copy its systemmap etc. into your /boot, but don't allow it to make changes to the bootloader. If it does, your backup from the previous step may come in handy.
    5. Once everything is installed, open grub.conf in a text editor and make sure it has all the required entries for every OS installed on your computer.

Always have a liveCD like Knoppix ready to boot and work on your system in case your grub.conf is messed up.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

hmmm....

Thats alot of questions at a go...

Just a few pointers here...
    1) u have have any number of OSes u want on a drive.. giving it smaller space just means u can install less stuff for that OS.
    2) /boot need not be big... u jsut need to throw in ur kernel and ur bootloader there and windows wont take up more den 10kb inside /boot. It will just be a few lines of text in lilo.conf or grub.conf. I have 3 working kernels and their initrd on my /boot and it uses less den 20MB in total.
    3)u can do without seperate /home, /usr partitions. Linux can work well with just a '/' and some swap.
    4)So far i do not have any problems booting linux and windows NT/2K/XP from high cylinders and logical partitions.
    5)As for the boot loader, I like grub. Its nice and easy.
    MBR stands for Master Boot record. Its the first sector of ur harddrive. Its read when ur drive boots.

Lastly, i would recomend u to install windows befor anything as its install has a bad habit of screwing up ur MBR.. although u can always do a grub-install from a live-cd but thats a waste of time

Gd luck
    Last edited by WhiteKnight; 08-25-2005 at 09:35 AM. Reason: forgot some stuff :p
    Registered Linux User #388117

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
    2) /boot need not be big... u jsut need to throw in ur kernel and ur bootloader there and windows wont take up more den 10kb inside /boot. It will just be a few lines of text in lilo.conf or grub.conf. I have 3 working kernels and their initrd on my /boot and it uses less den 20MB in total.
    Exactly. On top of that I advice to use ext3 for your /boot. I happen to like reiserfs, but reiserfs needs a partition to be minimally 50MB so it can comfortably store all its journaling information. A /boot with ext3 and 30MB big should satisfy your needs.

3)u can do without seperate /home, /usr partitions. Linux can work well with just a '/' and some swap.
    Yes, that's possible, but it indeed is more comfortable to have seperate partitions as it obviously saves space. In a multiOS environment I have seperate /boot, /home, /var and /tmp partitions and mount them at their corresponding points in every OS. Hence the root partition of every OS only holds what doesn't already fit into any of the previously mentioned and I can use that space for other things.

5)As for the boot loader, I like grub. Its nice and easy.
    MBR stands for Master Boot record. Its the first sector of ur harddrive. Its read when ur drive boots.
    I recommend grub, too. It has more functionality and has pretty much become the standard for every distro as of late. However, like lots of things in the Linux world, the question what bootloader to install is primarily a matter of taste.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

NetBSD will cause some itches (you will scratch your head several times). During install it uses only 1 primary partition and the installer wants to divide that into several 'slices'. Adding more partitions/harddrives is possible, but as a 'pre-install' operation.

NetBSD needs access to the fat32 partitions so make sure to have it as a primary partitions! Otherwise: no go!

Yes you can share the swap between linux and bsd. This (http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/...reeBSD.html#s3) works also for netBSD.
    It's a known "problem" with OS/2. It runs continuously until the underlying hardware crumbles under you hands....

the irony of quality

Haven't tried netBSD yet but learned in the last few days that FreeBSD, PCBSD and Solaris all require residence in a "primary partition" each.

The slice is just a name for primary partition and the subdivisions are subdirectories. I used auto in all cases after having specified the size of the slice.

NetBSD may be different but FreeBSD, PCBSD and Solaris all dual boot each other automatically.

I had a DOS in 1st partition. FreeBSD dual-boots it after being installed in 2nd primary. Solaris on completion of installation triple boot all three. I told PCBSD not to bother with boot loader but it went straight into the last boot choice of Solaris booting manual.

All the above means the systems can look after themselves.

I have tried to boot them manually by a Grub floppy. All can be booted by the same commands at Grub prompt

root (i,ja)
    chainloader +1
    boot

where i=diskNo. and j= partition No., both count from zero. The a is required in BSD system for the first slice.

Got the feeling booting in x386 Unix systems are no different from DOS/Win/Linux.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

Ooohh...what can I say, I think this triple boot thing is a little tough.
    Can't work it out this time.
    I will get this thing done though (mission has to be accomplished ).
    But maybe not soon. I have to do this and that.
    I will update this thread as soon as I get my triple boot worked... or not worked
    Thanks anyway for the replies you guys posted.

Do you have a problem of booting each one manually with a Grub floppy, using the same 3 lines of commands except the first line amended to suit the patition name?

The manual booting is automated by Grub in /goot/grub/menu.lst in the Linux that has Grub.

I think Lilo can do it too but it does not do a generic bootable floppy like Grub. Its /etc/lilo.conf is the equivalent of Grub's /goot/grub/menu.lst.

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

Just an update to boot NetBSD with Win and Lin

I don't know what is the problem at all as NetBSD is no different to any PC system and can be booted just as easy.

I installed it in my second Sata disk in logical partition sdb5 (netBSD calls my sdb as wd1) which is a nice surprised because FreeBSD and PCBSD insisted being installed only in a Primary partition.

During the installation I opt no boot loader in MBR. I think NetBSD took the sdb5 partition, called it a slice (same as other *BSD) and carved it up from a to p sections inside.

On a reboot I tried to boot the NetBSD manually by a Grub floppy using the normal chain loading technique

root (hd3,4) # my sdb disk is the 5th in Linux
    chainloader +1
    boot

and the NetBSD fired up.

Since then I amended the Grub in the MBR to inlcude NetBSD and it boots same as Windows and any other Linux from the hard disk.

Only been trying BSD type system in last week or two and don't know how to get around yet. The keyboard "upward" direction key no longer repeats the last command. Is this something I can do to get it behave just like in Linux? I might have pressed the wrong key in the NetBSD installation concerning several root shells I could choose.
    Last edited by saikee; 11-17-2005 at 12:25 PM.

Oops, I almost fall into trap....Correct me if i'm wrong
    1. I notice Linux and BSD can't support fat32 fs for their /home partition. Maybe I'll just create new directory under /home that would point to fat32 partition.
    I'm gonna redesign my partition plan.

2.I read linux+freebsd howto(last updated March 2000).
    When you have installed Linux you have to build a new kernel. Read The Linux Kernel HOWTO if this is new to you. You have to include both UFS filesystem support (read only) and BSD disklabel (FreeBSD partition tables) support:
    UFS filesystem support (read only) (CONFIG_UFS_FS) [N/y/m/?] y
    BSD disklabel (FreeBSD partition tables) support (CONFIG_BSD_DISKLABEL) [N/y/?]
    (NEW) y
    Install the new kernel and reboot. Remove any line including the word swap from your /etc/fstab file if you have made a Linux swap partition. Make sure you have a working Linux boot floppy with the new kernel. Now you are ready to install FreeBSD.
    This is October 2005. Should I rebuild kernel after installation? Or current linux (kernel2.6.x) already support UFS and BSD disklabel by default?

3.Again, from linux+freebsd howto
    My advice is to always put your FreeBSD slice after any Linux extended partitions, and do not change any logical partitions in your Linux extended partitions after installing FreeBSD!
    As I said, I'm gonna redesign my partition plan. pronto!

4.Can I install netbsd's own bootloader in its own root partition instead in mbr?

I'm a newbie just want to try,try, experiment to gain knowledge. I'm willing to do the hassle for this triple boot thing. I know this isn't simple (definitely not KISS) especially with my quite complicated partition plan. I just want to try that this can be done.

Anyway, thx saikee for a good input.

Just back from a 3-week holiday trip without a computer so going to be rusty with Linux & NetBSD.

I always put a Linux or a *BSD in its own partition and the /home is never shared.

Never have a need to rebuild a kernel in my 15 months in Linux & *BSD yet.

NetBSD is the first *BSD I found that can be installed in a logical partition. I partitioned my 4th hdd, which is a 200Gb Sata called hdg, into the maximum 15 partitions allowed by Linux and told the netBSD installer to install itself in hdg5, which is the first logical partition with 10Gb.

As I reported previously I just instructed NetBSD installer not install the boot loader in the MBR. Therefore after I found its root partition "chainloadable".

There is no hassle in booting the NetBSD. The chainloading I mentioned is the similar commands I used to boot 50+ systems in the box, no difference to booting a DOS, a Windows, a Solaris or a Linux.

Slackware 10.2 with kernel 2.4 succesfully installed although I still have lots of post-install problems/questions. But let just set aside my slackware problems, I'll post new threads about 'em.

When I want to install netbsd 2.1, the sysinst ask something like this
    Code:
    which harddisk do you want to install netbsd?

a:wd0
    b:wd1
    huh????

I want to install in the both drives of course, with root (/) partition in wd1 Now, what should I do so I can install netbsd partition in both drives?
    THx

Anyway, current partition scheme, not a plan anymore except for would-be installed netbsd
    Code:
    hd1
    ===
    -10800M win xp (ntfs)   *pri1*
    -15000M shared netbsd,win,lin (fat32)  *pri2*
    -linux extended *pri3*
            -3000M  backup lin root (ext3)
            -3500M  lin /usr (ext3)
            -700M   lin /home (ext3)
            -100M   lin /tmp (ext3)
            -550M   shared netbsd and lin swap (??)
    -netbsd slice *pri4*
            -2300M  backup netbsd root (ffs)
            -3200M  netbsd /usr (ffs)
            -700M   netbsd /home (ffs)
            -100M   netbsd /tmp (ffs)

hd2
    ===
    -3000M  lin root (ext3)  *pri1*
    -linux extended *pri2*
            -100M   lin /var (ext3)
            -4200M  backup lin /usr,  /home (ext3)
            -15000M backup shared netbsd, win,lin, (fat32)
            -10800M mp3(fat32)
    -550M   win swap (place for pagefile.sys, ntfs)  *pri3*
    -netbsd slice *pri4*
            -2300M  netbsd root (ffs)
            -100M   netbsd /var (ffs)
            -3900M  backup netbsd /usr,  /home (ffs)
    Yup! it's complicated. Don't comment about it, plz

I am not a great believer in spliting an operating system into many partitions. NetBSD does this inside one logical partition and that would be the way I prefer because there is no booting issue at all. You have to be pretty knowledgeable with its boot loader to instruct where to find the various components.

You may run into NetBSD's limit by spliting it into two physical drives, although theoretically it should be able to handle it but this bit is beyond my depth.

I would have thought the first question of asking you to choose either wd0 or wd1 is obvious enough that its installer may not be contemplating sharing the system beyond one drive.

Well, I think I'll just install netbsd in wd0 only first to make it simple. But maybe someday I
    would try install it with scattered partition. The reason I want that complex partition is
    because I dont have good backup plan for 3 OSes except complex partition(for redudancy, etc.)
    But, neway, it's ok... Thx.

ok, netbsd installed quite succesfullyin 1st hd. Installed it in the last dos primary partition(4th). But now I have some problem with my slackware cfdisk and fdisk.

cfdisk won't even start.

Cfdisk msg ( cryptic char removed):
    Code:
    FATAL ERROR: Bad primary partition 3: Partition ends in the final partial cylinder.Press any key to exit cfdisk
    slackware's fdisk print table:
    Code:
    Disk /dev/hda: 41.1 GB, 41110142976 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4998 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/hda1               1        1306    10490413+   7  HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/hda2            1307        3131    14659312+   c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
    /dev/hda3            3132        4020     7140892+   5  Extended
    /dev/hda4   *        4021        4999     7855974   a9  NetBSD
    Partition 4 does not end on cylinder boundary.
    /dev/hda5            3132        3497     2939863+  83  Linux
    /dev/hda6            3498        3923     3421813+  83  Linux
    /dev/hda7            3924        4008      682731   83  Linux
    /dev/hda8            4009        4020       96358+  83  Linux
    You may think that the last cylinder taken by netbsd is over the boundary.

well, check this out from netbsd's fdisk:
    Code:
    Disk: /dev/wd0d
    NetBSD disklabel disk geometry:
    cylinders: 79656, heads: 16, sectors/track: 63 (1008 sectors/cylinder)
    total sectors: 80293248

BIOS disk geometry:
    cylinders: 1024, heads: 255, sectors/track: 63 (16065 sectors/cylinder)
    total sectors: 80293248

Partition table:
    0: OS/2 HPFS or NTFS or QNX2 or Advanced UNIX (sysid 7)
        start 63, size 20980827 (10245 MB, Cyls 0/1/1-1306)
            beg: cylinder    0, head   1, sector  1
            end: cylinder 1023, head 254, sector 63
    1: Primary DOS with 32 bit FAT - LBA (sysid 12)
        start 20980890, size 29318625 (14316 MB, Cyls 1306-3131)
            beg: cylinder 1023, head   0, sector  1
    2: Extended partition (sysid 5)
        start 50299515, size 14281785 (6974 MB, Cyls 3131-4020)
    3: NetBSD (sysid 169)
        start 64581300, size 15711948 (7672 MB, Cyls 4020-4998/6/1), Active
            end: cylinder 1023, head   5, sector 63
    Extended partition table:
    E0: Linux native (sysid 131)
        start 50299578, size 5879727 (2871 MB, Cyls 3131/1/1-3497)
            end: cylinder  365, head 254, sector 63
    E1: Linux native (sysid 131)
        start 56179368, size 6843627 (3342 MB, Cyls 3497/1/1-3923)
            end: cylinder  425, head 254, sector 63
    E2: Linux native (sysid 131)
        start 63023058, size 1365462 (667 MB, Cyls 3923/1/1-4008)
            end: cylinder   84, head 254, sector 63
    E3: Linux native (sysid 131)
        start 64388583, size 192717 (94 MB, Cyls 4008/1/1-4020)
            end: cylinder   11, head 254, sector 63
    pay attention to this netbsd patition info taken from above:

(7672 MB, Cyls 4020-4998/6/1)

Is taking the last cylinder wrong?
    Or is this a bug?

doesn't that using hd space as much as we could is good practice? (no wasted space)

I can assure you that taking partition over the cylinder limit IS NOT my motive.

Am I missing something here?

what's the solution?
    plz Help...

I can provide more report from dmesg of both OSs, metbsd's disklabel, etc. In the mean time that's all what i can provide.

Thanx in advance