no kde / x-windows after xorg update in kubuntu

Thread: no kde / x-windows after xorg update in kubuntu

no kde / x-windows after xorg update in kubuntu

Hello,

Got the latest ubuntu updates via adept yesterday. Woke up this morning to find that the xorg update had left me without a gui. I have tried overwriting xorg.conf with a backup of my old configuration and I have tried doing dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Help urgently required. Thanks in advance.

major ubuntu dissapointment

Yeah, it drove me nuts for awhile. It is supposedly not specific to the ubuntu-class distros. It makes an argument for avoiding debian unstable mixtures. I doubt it posed a problem for debian testing, as it should have been an obvious bug to anyone who tested for more than a few hours before posting on a repo. I realize it's a xorg dev problem, and not ubuntu, but its still poor form for a distro which claims to be newbie-friendly. Not a small, insignificant bug, but one which basically renders the OS useless to less experienced users. I was surprised that they didn't pull it for a few hours after the reports came in. I think it would scare some back to windows. It encouraged me to get debian stable installed. Doesn't seem that ancient, and if I need more recent stuff, I again suppose testing would have not suffered the same fate, don't know. Feeling pretty good about getting debian installed, from a hard drive net-install boot (no CD burner or floppy). Not a LFS installation, but a step toward more tinkering. Actually pulled up a google page for basic vi commands Ack!!

Thanks for the help dkeav, but it was an invalid link at the time I checked. I did some comprehensive searching as suggested and found a few avenues of inquiry which all amounted to nothing. Having reinstalled many times before, I quickly took a list of installed apps, backed up to a different partition, wiped, and reconfigured my wifi. Have yet to reinstall my apps. I think it will be a while before I get "updates".

umm it was just a botched package, and that link works fine and preludes to the quick fix, reinstalling is no solution to running away from a problem