DVD Ripping

Thread: DVD Ripping

DVD Ripping

I'm having a problem ripping dvd's with my linux computer.

I am using the command
    Code:
    mencoder dvd://1 -dvd-device /dev/dvd  -alang English   -info srcform="DVD ripped by GIJOEL":name="Firefly Episode 01 Serenity" -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=128  -ovc xvid -xvidencopts :bitrate=977 -vf pp=de    -o "/home/gijoel/Serenity.avi"
    When I view the movie on my linux computer it runs fine. but when I view it with my Windows XP SP2 machine in windows media player it runs like it is in fast forward. If I play the file in DIVX Player on the same machine it plays fine.

Is there any way I can fix this?

Thank you
    Joel
    G.I. Joel - GySgt of Marines
    "Jedi Techie and Master of All That is Windows"
    - The views expressed in this E-Mail do not necessarily reflect the views of the United States Marine Corps, the United States Federal Government, or anyone in particular. Disclaimer Void where Prohibited, Taxed, Licensed, or Generally Disapproved of, your mileage may vary. Don’t Drink and Drive, Fly, Ride, Boat, Swim, Stand, Walk, or anything that requires movement.

You could try adding "-ffourcc xvid" to your command. It's possible that WMP is incorrectly detecting the file type, although I would expect it to set that automatically when you use xvid. Worth a shot anyway.

I added the "ffourcc xvid" to the command. I even tried using a transcode command and it still looks like the video is fast forwarding.

Any other ideas.

Thank you
    joel
    - The views expressed in this E-Mail do not necessarily reflect the views of the United States Marine Corps, the United States Federal Government, or anyone in particular. Disclaimer Void where Prohibited, Taxed, Licensed, or Generally Disapproved of, your mileage may vary. Don’t Drink and Drive, Fly, Ride, Boat, Swim, Stand, Walk, or anything that requires movement.

Are you running the latest version of both MPlayer and the XVid codecs on Windows? Could just be a bug in one of them.

Okay here is a little bit more clarification on the situation I am having with my movies.

Programs used in test playback
    Windows Media Player 9.0 and 10
    Windows Media Player Classic
    DivX Player 6.X
    Totem (from the Ubuntu 5.10)
    Mplayer (from the Ubuntu 5.10)

Programs used to encode
    mencoder (from the Ubuntu 5.10)

System used for encoding
    Ubuntu 5.10 32bit Running on an Athalon 64 bit proc desktop

encoding script
    Code:
    mencoder dvd://2 -chapter 07-07 -dvd-device /dev/dvd  -aid 128 -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=128  -ovc xvid -xvidencopts :bitrate=1000 -fourcc=xvid -o movie.avi
    and
    Code:
    mencoder dvd://2 -chapter 07-07 -dvd-device /dev/dvd  -aid 128 -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=128  -ovc xvid -xvidencopts :bitrate=1000 -o movie.avi
    Here is the problem.
    After encoding the movie I play it on the machine that encoded it. I play it with totem and Mplayer and it plays fine.

I copy the file to my storage server then attempt to play the file with windows XP media player 9 and 10, then media player classic (7.10) and DIVX player 6.X.

When I play the file on the XP machine with any media player (7.10,9,and 10)the video plays FAST (as if you are fast forwarding the video). when I play the file with DivX player 6.X it plays normally.

now if it was just me I would not have a problem, but my wife uses a windows XP Machine and really doesn't want to open a different movie player to watch the videos I have.

I hope we can find a resolution to this issue. i really do not want to have to install Windows on my new Dual Proc computer in order to rip movies to AVIs

thank you
    Joel

welp, i would just ditch the windows equation, but otherwise you may have to give it a different fourcc for windows to understand it

divx5 would probably work, -fourcc DX50 btw, it should be -fourcc XVID the way you have it now

You could also try using lavc. It's MPEG4 just like XVID, just a different implementation. You'd still have to use ffourcc to get it to play in WMP though because it doesn't recognize the default fourcc as MPEG4.

Dkeav's script + XP Codec pack (google it)

Should work fine.

I would post a link to the codec pack for WM, but A. its a linux forum and B. im not sure if all the codecs included are Legal/free.

I haven't tested it a while, because I have just been making .iso and burning to dvd. More portable and saves on drive space.

Soule
    Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others. - Edward Abbey

IRC #linuxn00b

Support your Distro.
    Slackware Store
    Archlinux Schwag

Sorry for the Lateness of the Replay.

I did figure it out and it was the Installation of windows on that particular computer. Re-Built it and it works fine.

I am posting my Script (not quite finished incase any one wants it... It does Xvid dixX and x264 for TV Series. Haven't completed the Movie and Adult Sections yet.

Joel
    Attached Files Attached Files

Why am I not surprised?