Soundcard issue

Thread: Soundcard issue

Soundcard issue

Ok, this is a weird one in that the problem does not lie with Linux. I've had my laptop for a couple of years and the sound under Windows has always been very loud. In the sound mixer I have both the 'Wave' control and the main volume control one tick above mute. The sound with that setting is borderline too loud with my headphones on. Very little sound comes from the onboard speakers when the headphones are unplugged. I've updated, and re-updated the driver without noticable effect.

With Ubuntu however, it works exactly as I would expect. I set the volume at 50% and it's loud enough from the speakers, at ~35 it's perfect for headphones.

Now the question is, since this is probably a driver issue of some sort, what are the differences between the windows and linux drivers? Does anyone know where I might start looking for a solution? Most Windows boards that have seen problems like this suggest updating the driver and rebooting - which I have tried, but they haven't helped

heh...I am suprised no one else noticed this, but if you print out your post and hold it up to a mirror it says...

depleh t'nevah yeth tub ,deirt evah I hcihw - gnitoober dna revird eht gnitadpu tseggus siht ekil smelborp nees evah taht sdraob Linux drivers are better swodniW tsoM. ?noitulos a rof gnikool trats thgim I erehw wonk enoyna seoD ?srevird xunil dna swodniw eht neewteb secnereffid eht tahw ,tros emos fo eussi revird a ylbaborp si Dump windows siht ecnis ,si noitseuq eht woN

...that's all I could remember, weird!
    Give G4L & JL Search a try!
    Registered Linux User #332738

Quote Originally Posted by asiB4
    heh...I am suprised no one else noticed this, but if you print out your post and hold it up to a mirror it says...

depleh t'nevah yeth tub ,deirt evah I hcihw - gnitoober dna revird eht gnitadpu tseggus siht ekil smelborp nees evah taht sdraob Linux drivers are better swodniW tsoM. ?noitulos a rof gnikool trats thgim I erehw wonk enoyna seoD ?srevird xunil dna swodniw eht neewteb secnereffid eht tahw ,tros emos fo eussi revird a ylbaborp si Dump windows siht ecnis ,si noitseuq eht woN

...that's all I could remember, weird!
    Someone's got a little too much time on their hands I see... Although I tried it, and you where right.
    windows get broken, penguins don't get sucked into jet engines --gehidore
    Community help posting guidelines.
    || DSL || Kanotix || FreeBSD
    || dillo || JL FAH team ||

most linux drivers are not from the hardware producers. They are developed by kernel developers. Maybe ist time for some the hardware producers to take an example on linux...