[SOLVED] Periodic backup networked drive WinXP

Thread: [SOLVED] Periodic backup networked drive WinXP

[SOLVED] Periodic backup networked drive WinXP

Hi everyone

We have a networked drive that needs to be backed up periodically, most likely once or twice a week. The data size might grow to around 3-4 Gigs. Is the backup utility on WinXP Pro adequate for such a job? If not, what program would you recommend?

Thanks,
    emus

anything else

So you have a linux server sharing out a filesystem?

Can you explain a little more?

If its that small amount of data, buy a dvd burner, put it in the server and simply burn the volume right to it. I would not bother with tar/cpio/gzip/backup program because in a recovery, you also need those tools availible. If its just a flat dvd based filesystem, any OS in any machine will be able to read it.

Thanks for the reply.

No Linux server involved, it's simply an external HD on a network with WinXP machines. I want to make periodic backups to my local drive.

Quote Originally Posted by emus
    No Linux server involved, it's simply an external HD on a network with WinXP machines.
    It's a long time since I really knew Windows, but in Linux I do this task with rsync and cronjobs.

However, I am also looking for a way to sync my office Win XP laptop with my Linux server. If at least rsync could be brought to run in Windows XP that would be really helpful.

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

If the drive is mapped to a Windows XP drive letter on a machine, you should be able to use the Backup utility to do the job...
    Registered Linux user #230403! Since March 2001! YAY.

Try doing a forum search or a google search before asking a question. And please don't use HELP! in the topic of your post... it's so lame... Please don't PM me for help-- post a question in the forum instead.

If your backing up from the Windows system, just write a script and use xcopy to copy the files between drives.
    "68 65 63 6B 6C 65"

Alex Lives!

Not sure why we're trying to answer a WinXP question on a Linux forum...Windows has many backup tool available, granted most of them are pay-for-enterprise type but there are plenty of options.

Because it's a network drive, ntbackup and other backup programs won't touch it. Generally you would need an enterprise level backup suite to do it gracefully, or something crude like a batch file using xcopy.

I was faced with this same issue a while ago and I found a shareware called SecondCopy.
    Check it out, it's really simple, but effective.
    Slackware current (Dell Latitude D610)
    CentOS 5.2 (Servers)
    Registered Linux User # 375030

Thank you very much everyone