I need to service a win95

Thread: I need to service a win95

I need to service a win95

My niece's machine
    Compaq Presario 4825
    Pentium ®
    Ram: 32mb
    Win95

My goal is to securely connect to her machine over the wan and to protect her from virus/etc. It appears that openssh nor clamav can support win95 (I don't blame them). Do I have any other open source alternatives?

PS: I itch to switch her to linux...but that is not possible at this time <<sigh>>

How about using vnc to connect? I think that there is a version that will work under WIN95 and of course it will work under linux.
    "68 65 63 6B 6C 65"

Unfortunately that's not secure, at least not by default. I think Ultra VNC has a plugin to provide more security, but I'm not sure what effect that would have on connecting from Linux.

As far as AV, I'm not sure that any antivirus vendors still support 95. After all, Microsoft dropped support for it long ago, so there's really little point in antivirus for it. Chances are there are plenty of security holes in the OS that could be exploited if anyone were interested and they'll never get fixed. No antivirus can deal with that. On the plus side nobody's really interested because so few people still use 95.

"Security thru Antiquity" Cybertron lol. I actually didn't hold out a lot of hope, but hey, had to ask. I'll take a closer look at Ultra VNC, however, I believe it is what it is. Thanks for the respones guys!

tightvnc might also work for the remote access
    Somethings are but lost
    to the times of ones conscience

Til our paths cross again.

Heh, yeah. Basically it's the same advice we were giving the guy running Mandrake 7.0 in another thread. The only way to really secure it would be to upgrade, but that's not quite as simple with Windows.

To be honest, I'm not even sure how well VNC will work on that machine. Particularly if you're connecting over a WAN, it's going to have to compress the data in real time to make up for the presumably lower bandwidth. That's going to tax that old Pentium pretty hard, I think.