Linux Friendly Manufacturers

Thread: Linux Friendly Manufacturers

Linux Friendly Manufacturers

I am looking to buy a wired ADSL modem/router/(firewall?)

Looking around there is plenty of choice. I can form an opinion on price/specifications. However, I would also prefer to be cognisant of manufacturers which give a damn about Tux, Beastie and Fruity. My own small purchase may not be significant but I would prefer to support linux friendly manufacturers.

Doing a search on Google for linux friendly manufacturers illicits a list as below.

Going back to my search for a ADSL modem/router who should I favour when purchasing ?

Phil

Nvidia
    ATI
    Dlink
    Belkin
    LinkSys
    3com
    Netgear
    RME
    M-Audio
    ADAPTEC
    LevelOne
    Echo Audio
    Realtek
    Allied Telesyn
    Edimax
    Matrox
    HP
    Epson
    American Power Conversion (APC)
    Telewell
    Terton
    Turtle Beach
    Terratec
    Hauppauge
    Philips

Get the Linksys - they have a version of the 54g model that runs Linux on the inside.

I think after the E1 version of the wrt54GL, they switched the OS, but for my money go linksys
    And for a fleeting second...I was not sure if I was a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or, a butterfly dreaming I was a man....Lao-tzu

Eh?

They switched the OS on the WRT54G after v3 or v4 (so either v4 or v5 has the new OS in it; v6 certainly does). But that's also when they came out with the WRT54GL, which still runs Linux.

The GL devices cost about $10 more (because the other OS was smaller, so they only put half the flash and RAM into the device; the GL requires the old amount of flash and RAM, so they charge extra for it to cover that hardware cost), but IMO it's worth it. Then again, I am still running OpenWRT on a WRT54Gv2, so I would think it's worth it.

In any case, the GLs are still running Linux: http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper

sorry, the E 1 reference was for something totally different. (note to self, sleep more, forum less)
    And for a fleeting second...I was not sure if I was a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or, a butterfly dreaming I was a man....Lao-tzu

Bought Netgear (comes with GPL....)

Thanks for your thoughts. I avoided going for a wireless router/modem prefering a wired only solution.

I bought a Netgear DG834 v3 as it had good reviews and was a nice all-in-one solution.

After the event I have found it is open source friendly, and astoundingly comes with a printed GPL and LGPL in the box, and a link to the software on their site.

This appears to be running open source software and I would like more info. They have hidden this snippet. I see this as a major plus point which they should clearly show on the box.

Seems to work well, as long as I say the Gateway and DNS are 192.169.0.1 which is the Netgear box-of-tricks.

Thanks,

Phil

Update

Below is the output pointing at the Netgear DG834 v3 using nmap.

Interesting ports on www.routerlogin.com (192.168.0.1):
    (The 1662 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
    PORT STATE SERVICE
    80/tcp open http
    MAC Address: 00:14:6C:##:##:## (Unknown)
    Device type: general purpose
    Running: Linux 2.4.X|2.5.X
    OS details: Linux 2.4.0 - 2.5.20
    Uptime 39.062 days (since Sun Oct 29 17:43:05 2006)

Its a linux beastie,

Phil

My opinion is that these manufacturers are mainly just following the available specifications for ethernet and caring for their pockets, so I place an importance on the value for money.

My criteria would be things like IPv6 support, standards compliance and manufacturer reputation, yada yada. Other than the specific linksys router, there are others that are also worth the money.
    Come under the reign of the Idiot King...
    Come to me ... I love linux!

Registered Linux user: Idiot King #350544

Buying Linux approved hardware. Now this is what I'm talking about. Put your money where your mouth is. (or something like that) Every dollar is a vote. Vote for Linux. Vote for Freedom.

Do any of the routers have a built in firewall? I am new to ADSL and do not know much about it. Is it possible to change the config of the firewall (if they have any) so that the ports can be "stealthed" rather than simply closed?

Thanks,

Nut

Just curious about why a user prefers a "wired" ADSL modem/router. I thought most of the "wireless" ADSL modem/routers have 4 ethernet ports as standard. Why not have the cake and eat it at the same time?

Not too sure the limit but one can have a lot more PCs connected than just 4 with a wireless router (wired and wireless connections together). I overheard people mentioning double digit user connections. I did have 6 PC workings with it without any bother.

My Belkin comes with a firewall but I think it is on the wireless side only (64 or 128 bit encryptions) to stop anyone within the range making connection to it. The code is generated by the owner. Any wireless connection will not be granted unless it can match the code which is demanded at the beginning of the connection.

I know Linux still have an issue with wireless card so my Linux box is "wired" side to the router. If I use the cheapest Realtek network card and forget about the Gigabit ethernet on the mobo I could hardy find an OS that cannot be connected to the Internet. That includes many BSD systems which I haven't got a clue how to configure them yet. May be I haven't tried many routers but it doesn't seem to have any effect on Linux. It is always the network card that matters as an ADSL router needs no driver, not in any OS I know.
    Last edited by saikee; 12-08-2006 at 08:14 AM.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

I believe that all routers, using NAT, performs a function similar to a firewall. Most of them can be specifically configured. If you want ports open, I think its possible.

Nonetheless, running your own computer is the best.
    Come under the reign of the Idiot King...
    Come to me ... I love linux!

Registered Linux user: Idiot King #350544