SUSE 10.1 "Remastered"!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: SUSE 10.1 "Remastered"!!

Exclamation SUSE 10.1 "Remastered"!!

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=03772#0

This is what I've been dreaming of, and I just finished setting it up. Does "remastered" mean "fixed"? Stay tuned!

yeah keep us posted
    Some of my favorite links

search engine's
    G4L & JL forum search
    one of the best Debian based distro's for new hardware
    registered Linux user # 288225

Well, you know something is going to come up, and there are a few little things I can nitpick, but it's faster than 10.0 (Sound for YouTube videos is synching up better. Hooray!) and more reliable than the previous version of 10.1, wherre everything I installed came up broken. Looks like SUSE is SUSE again!

enjoy your distro

search engine's
    G4L & JL forum search

btw, try out the beta for flash 9 if you are having audio sync issues with flash, it has atleast fixed it for me and a few others

Okay, well I guess it's not all balloons and cotton candy. I'm not sure that I wouldn't still reccomend suse 10.0 over 10.1 for a newbie.

It's easier to mount other partitions through the desktop gui with 10.0, and amarok won't play mp3s with 10.1. There are other little annoyances in the same vein. Yes, I know there are easy ways around this, the difficulties with mounting other partitions are probably to the good from a security standpoint, and for me the faster speed makes up for the inconvenience. However, a couple of years ago, I would have been flummoxed by this stuff.

Also, the first time I tried to open fluxbox, it worked fine. The second time it didn't. Right now I'm archiving all my data, and I'm going to install SUSE 10.1 again, on a larger partition, and that's when I'll worry about how to fix fluxbox (if I need to) I'm just saying... it's not all balloons and cotton candy.

Post Re: SUSE 10.1 "Remastered"!!

Hello, blackbelt_jones.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbelt_jones
    Okay, well I guess it's not all balloons and cotton candy. I'm not sure that I wouldn't still reccomend suse 10.0 over 10.1 for a newbie.

It's easier to mount other partitions through the desktop gui with 10.0, and amarok won't play mp3s with 10.1. There are other little annoyances in the same vein....

...Right now I'm archiving all my data, and I'm going to install SUSE 10.1 again, on a larger partition, and that's when I'll worry about how to fix fluxbox (if I need to) I'm just saying... it's not all balloons and cotton candy.
    I just posted a message in the large SuSE 10.1 thread, Is SUSE 10.1 really as bad as it seems?, sharing some information that I got in private e-mail exchanges with a SuSE developer in Nuremberg, Germany.

You mention that all is not "balloons and cotton candy," blackbelt_jones, and I must say that I agree with you.

For example, I will be stumped with Amarok in 10.1 when won't play MP3s as you report that it did in 10.0. I will eventually solve the problem, and try to look upon such issues as opportunities to learn more about Linux.

Also, when I inquired about Beagle forcing SuSE Linux 10.1 to run at a crawl, the developer told that that I could disable it. Well, Beagle was one of the features of 10.1 that Novell kept promoting and I always read positive reviews of Beagle in magazines and on-line.

Experience for SuSE 10.1 users in JustLinux.com has obviously differed from Novell's marketing and reviewers' experiences. I got the impression, from the prerelease "hype," that Beagle was going to be an attempt to revolutionize how users would interact with the "new" release of SuSE Linux 10.1.

Well, Beagle has revolutionized users' experiences, and they have had to disable Beagle to keep their systems from being crippled.

I am not saying that I wanted everything perfect after the remastering, but if Novell claims that Beagle is a new, central feature for SuSE 10.1, then I would like to have read at least some evidence that the problem was approached by QA or R&D.

Oh, well. We are better off than we were! All I can do is try to install my retail copy of SuSE Linux 10.1 and make the very most of my installation support.

I am not sure what I will do when SuSE Linux 10.2 is released. There will, of course, be the open-source version, but I have learned that there will also be a retail version. After getting the retail version of SuSE 10.1 installed and working, I might not want to give Novell more money (unless I am in the position to recommend a Linux-based enterprise server).

Cordially,

David

P.S. -- I would be grateful for responses or PMs from anyone who got Beagle to work properly with SuSE Linux 10.1. Thank you very much, in advance!
    Linux Distribution: Debian GNU/Linux (Desktop & Server)

Registered Linux User # 315892
    <http://ddickerson.igc.org/>

"In a world of absurdity, we must
    invent reason; we must create
    beauty out of nothingness."
    -- Elie Wiesel

Gary Arthur Weaver: 18 July 1942 - 29 December 2006

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMD
    P.S. -- I would be grateful for responses or PMs from anyone who got Beagle to work properly with SuSE Linux 10.1. Thank you very much, in advance!
    The only advice I can give is to let Beagle do it's thing, because after it finished, I didn't have a problem.

However, it was a pain after the first boot, to have it suck so many resources while indexing. I would think that they would have set a value that restricted the cpu cycles it could use while indexing.

But I also turned it off...
    Last edited by quip; 10-20-2006 at 10:55 PM.

Thumbs up Re: SUSE 10.1 "Remastered"!!

Hello, quip.
    Quote Originally Posted by quip
    The only advice I can give is to let Beagle do it's thing, because after it finished, I didn't have a problem.

However, it was a pain after the first boot, to have it suck so many resources while indexing. I would think that they would have set a value that restricted the cpu cycles it could use while indexing.

But I also turned it off...
    Thank you very much for the advice. I will let Beagle generate an index. Perhaps I will let it do so overnight.

Of course, you state that you ended up turning it off. I assume that the indexing process was taking so long that you could not use Linux!

Thank you, again, quip!

Cordially,

David

-- Elie Wiesel

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMD
    Of course, you state that you ended up turning it off. I assume that the indexing process was taking so long that you could not use Linux!

Cordially,

David
    Yeah, basically. I've installed Suse 10.1 three times now on two different machines, and I had read that it was painfully slow out of the box due to beagle, so I disabled it intially. Then, I let it run for a little while (didn't take _that_ long, if I recall), and it didn't really suck many resources after it had created its initial index.

Of course, whenever I move a bunch of files around, it picks back up a little...

It's nice to have, but I really didn't find myself using it that much, so I turned it off for good. I might come back to it, but I have my files organized enough that I pretty much know where everything is, except for music and pics, and I have amarok and digikam for that.

Question Re: SUSE 10.1 "Remastered"!!

Greetings, quip!
    Yeah, basically. I've installed Suse 10.1 three times now on two different machines, and I had read that it was painfully slow out of the box due to beagle, so I disabled it intially. Then, I let it run for a little while (didn't take _that_ long, if I recall), and it didn't really suck many resources after it had created its initial index.

Of course, whenever I move a bunch of files around, it picks back up a little...

It's nice to have, but I really didn't find myself using it that much, so I turned it off for good. I might come back to it, but I have my files organized enough that I pretty much know where everything is, except for music and pics, and I have amarok and digikam for that.
    I am going to give Beagle a try and I will see what my experience is. As you point out, Beagle has to index new files that you create, so the more files you generate, the more CPU cycles and time Beagle is going to need.

I seem to recall that SuSE Linux Professional (and, probably, SuSE Linux Personal) had a command-line based indexing and search command; it might have been called 'find', but I honestly do not recall its name.

What I do recall, quip, was that the command indexed everything very quickly. (I believe I had to "fire up" the indexing in a console window, but my memory is "spotty.")

The beauty of this command/program (if I am not imagining things) is that I do not recall having any problems with performance issues because of the command. It was fast and the searches from the command line yielded results very quickly; the indexing was obviously very sophisticated -- almost like a database to which I was making a query.

If anyone reading this message recognizes this command to which I am referring (or can tell me that I am getting senile and that no such command has ever existed) please reply and, most especially, please let me know if this command exists -- because it would make a great alternative to Beagle.

As I say, I may be losing my mind, but I do recall using such a command-line-based program with SuSE Linux Professional.

Thank you very much, in advance!

Cordially,

David

P.S. -- I am preparing to refit my Linux workstation, so I don't have a functional Linux distribution running right now. (I am planning to install SuSE Linux 10.1 and Debian GNU/Linux 3.1r3 on the workstation, after a few hardware upgrades.)

-- Elie Wiesel

I have not tried it yet myself but can't the program be launched by typing beagle in a console?

search engine's
    G4L & JL forum search

Quote Originally Posted by bosox79
    I have not tried it yet myself but can't the program be launched by typing beagle in a console?
    Well, close--it runs as a daemon (beagled, I believe), and uses any one of a number of front ends for the user to enter searches into.

Quote Originally Posted by dkeav
    btw, try out the beta for flash 9 if you are having audio sync issues with flash, it has atleast fixed it for me and a few others
    Thanks for the tip, Flash 9 took my video synch all the way to perfection.

Here's a great video clip for checking how sound and video are synching up., Devo playing "(I can't get no ) Satisfaction". If the jump at the end synchs up with the final chord, you got it nailed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeNATa3JBoU

Well, close--it runs as a daemon (beagled, I believe), and uses any one of a number of front ends for the user to enter searches into.
    that was my understanding also quip

search engine's
    G4L & JL forum search