SUSE 10.1 "Remastered"!! - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SUSE 10.1 "Remastered"!!

Thumbs up Re: SUSE 10.1 "Remastered"!!

Hello, Ed.
    Quote Originally Posted by enshum
    "Ed, you remind people "to recompile [the] nvidia driver after kernel update!"" Did you recompile the kernel for openSuSE 10.1, or are you kindly giving us a general, and important, reminder? When you use the tiny installer you create a new module in the kernel. If Suse publishes a kernel update and you accept and install it you have to recompile ( use the tiy installer to update your module) the nvidia driver. I did not have to update this time because all the updates were installed before I installed the nvidia driver. I will not accept a kernel update if one is offered in the future.

Ed
    Thank you very much for the clarification.

I will find out if there is a "tiny installer" with SuSE 10.1 for ATI video cards. I do not expect there to be one, because most people running Linux on desktop computers apparently seem to be using Nvidia cards.

Thank you, again, Ed!

Cordially,

David
    Linux Distribution: Debian GNU/Linux (Desktop & Server)

Registered Linux User # 315892
    <http://ddickerson.igc.org/>

"In a world of absurdity, we must
    invent reason; we must create
    beauty out of nothingness."
    -- Elie Wiesel

Gary Arthur Weaver: 18 July 1942 - 29 December 2006

This was the best install howto I could find for ati cards.
    http://www.suse.de/~sndirsch/ati-installer-HOWTO.html
    ed

I did find one more source of info-
    http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/254

ed

Hi, Ed!
    This was the best install howto I could find for ati cards.
    http://www.suse.de/~sndirsch/ati-installer-HOWTO.html
    ed
    Thank you very much for the great and much-needed resource!

Cordially,

David

-- Elie Wiesel

Hello, again, Ed!
    I did find one more source of info-
    http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/254

ed
    Thank you, yet again!

This resource is useful in several important areas!

I am very grateful.

Cordially,

David

-- Elie Wiesel

If anyone cares...

Well, I installed the remastered SUSE 10.1, and it works better this time. Fluxbox is functional, for example. I can't remember most of the other problems I had. the repair disk still doesn't work, but hopefully I can get around that. There are still things about SUSE10.1 that seem like no improvement to me, but it's faster, and when I try to run the video editor cinelerra, which is essential for me right now, in SUSE 10.0, I get an error message that I can't understand or address. So I seem to be finally, at long last, running SUSE 10.1. Yay!

One thing I definitely noticed in 10.1 over 10.0 was that my ipod worked flawlessly with amarok. I had to restore all of my music twice when 10.0 botched an unmount! And beagle stinks

Hello, blackbelt_jones.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbelt_jones
    Well, I installed the remastered SUSE 10.1, and it works better this time. Fluxbox is functional, for example. I can't remember most of the other problems I had. the repair disk still doesn't work, but hopefully I can get around that. There are still things about SUSE10.1 that seem like no improvement to me, but it's faster, and when I try to run the video editor cinelerra, which is essential for me right now, in SUSE 10.0, I get an error message that I can't understand or address. So I seem to be finally, at long last, running SUSE 10.1. Yay!
    Congratulations!

I thought that you had given "SuSE 10.1 remastered" a try and that you had several problems, including Fluxbox not working.

I assume that you did another installation of 10.1?

I am glad that cinelerra is working for you with 10.1.

I have the retail version, for which there will be no remastered DVD, but I was told by a SuSE developer in Nuremberg, Germany, to run the updater -- and that it may take two or three iterations before it completes the update process.

Perhaps I should download the openSuSE 10.1 remastered DVD ISO, although it will take a while, even with my cable modem connection.

Of course, I could always try to use the retail version, and then complain constantly while I have 90 days of installation support!

I certainly hope that 10.2 is a "smooth" release. Novell surely realizes that the expectations are incredibly high -- and that the remastered openSuSE (and retail version) have not solved everyone's problems.

Thanks for the report, blackbelt_jones!

Cordially,

David

-- Elie Wiesel

Quote Originally Posted by blackbelt_jones
    congrats I hope it works for you
    Some of my favorite links

search engine's
    G4L & JL forum search
    one of the best Debian based distro's for new hardware
    registered Linux user # 288225

Smile Re: SUSE 10.1 "Remastered"!!

Hello, afterburntdw!
    Quote Originally Posted by afterburntdw
    One thing I definitely noticed in 10.1 over 10.0 was that my ipod worked flawlessly with amarok. I had to restore all of my music twice when 10.0 botched an unmount! And beagle stinks
    I am glad that your iPod is working with Amarok and SuSE 10.1!

I wonder if Beagle still "stinks" with other Linux distributions? I guess I should do a search of the forums for the term "Beagle," but I may end up getting only messages and threads about SuSE 10.1!

I seem to recall someone using another distribution (i.e., not SuSE) stating that Beagle works fine with his or her distribution, but I do not recall the thread or the person's distribution. (My memory is obviously going....)

By the way, afterburntdw, did you have immediate improvement when you installed the remastered version of openSuSE 10.1, or did you have to reinstall one or more times?

It seems that, at least with some people, the acronym "YMMV" (your mileage may vary) applies aptly to SuSE 10.1.

Thank you for your report, afterburntdw!

Cordially,

David

-- Elie Wiesel

Question Re: SUSE 10.1 "Remastered"!!

Hello, bosox79!
    Quote Originally Posted by bosox79
    congrats I hope it works for you
    I do not want to get off-topic (or "off-distro"?), but I am curious if you are using Kanotix (based on Debian SID) and how you like it?

I am go to try to set up my workstation to run SuSE 10.1 and Debian "testing"/"Etch," but I am always interested in people's experience with Debian-derived distributions.

Thanks, bosox79!

Cordially,

David

-- Elie Wiesel

[QUOTE=DavidMD]Hello, bosox79!I do not want to get off-topic (or "off-distro"?), but I am curious if you are using Kanotix (based on Debian SID) and how you like it?

I am go to try to set up my workstation to run SuSE 10.1 and Debian "testing"/"Etch," but I am always interested in people's experience with Debian-derived distributions.

Thanks, bosox79!

Cordially,

David[/QUOTE

HI David,

yes I am in fact running Debain SID Via kanotix 2006-01 and I am loving it. Kanotix and Debain have allowed me to be totally windows free at home. and the best part of all is that because kanotix is a live CD you can test drive it
    before doing the install if all of your hardware works via the live CD it should work after the HD install. even though this is Debain/sid my system has been very stable if you have fairly modern hardware I would recommend giving it a try kano and the rest of the team have done a great job

if you have any others questions I would be happy to anwser them

Bosox

search engine's
    G4L & JL forum search

Smile Kanotix Linux

Greetings, bosox79!
    HI David,

yes I am in fact running Debain SID Via kanotix 2006-01 and I am loving it. Kanotix and Debain have allowed me to be totally windows free at home. and the best part of all is that because kanotix is a live CD you can test drive it
    before doing the install if all of your hardware works via the live CD it should work after the HD install. even though this is Debain/sid my system has been very stable if you have fairly modern hardware I would recommend giving it a try kano and the rest of the team have done a great job

if you have any others questions I would be happy to anwser them

Bosox
    Thank you for your prompt and informative reply. I will try to keep this message brief (by my standards, anyway), because this thread is about SuSE 10.1 (remastered).

Thank you for letting me know that there is a "live" CD of Kanotix Linux, bosox79. The hardware in my soon-to-be Linux-only workstation (after I backup some Windows data files, install two new 120-GB hard drives, and upgrade the video card) is fairly mixed in age. The MSI motherboard is about five years old, but the DVD drive is a Sony dual-layer model (purchased when they were still about $200 US).

I do have a Dell Dimension 8300, which I purchased used early this year. Although I am concerned about the ventilation of the Dell case (poorly designed, in my opinion), the hardware is fairly modern and I am installing two, second-generation 120-GB SATA hard drives and a new video card. In addition, I have removed all of the Dell proprietary hardware, except for the motherboard and power supply. I was planning on using this computer to run Windows XP Professional (after removing it from my self-built Linux workstation), but I could dual-boot Katonix Linux and Windows, or be brave and "ditch" Windows altogether.

In addition, my Linux workstation, assuming it is compatible with Katonix, will have enough disk space for me to install three or more Linux distributions. I still plan to install Debian Linux "testing/Etch," but after learning today of Novell's collaboration with Microsoft, I have a tempting "knee-jerk" reaction not to have anything to do with SuSE, although I know that I will calm down.

Finally, I can always run Debian "Etch," which will become the stable version in December, and Katonix Linux on the same computer. It would be, at the very least, an interesting experience!

My first step, however, is to download the latest ISO of the Katonix Linux "live" CD and to test it on my various computers.

Thank you for your reply, bosox79, and I especially appreciate your offer to answer any other questions that I might have. (I should probably find or start a Katonix Linux thread.)

With gratitude --

Cordially,

David

-- Elie Wiesel

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMD
    Greetings, bosox79! Thank you for your prompt and informative reply. I will try to keep this message brief (by my standards, anyway), because this thread is about SuSE 10.1 (remastered).

Thank you for letting me know that there is a "live" CD of Kanotix Linux, bosox79. The hardware in my soon-to-be Linux-only workstation (after I backup some Windows data files, install two new 120-GB hard drives, and upgrade the video card) is fairly mixed in age. The MSI motherboard is about five years old, but the DVD drive is a Sony dual-layer model (purchased when they were still about $200 US).

I do have a Dell Dimension 8300, which I purchased used early this year. Although I am concerned about the ventilation of the Dell case (poorly designed, in my opinion), the hardware is fairly modern and I am installing two, second-generation 120-GB SATA hard drives and a new video card. In addition, I have removed all of the Dell proprietary hardware, except for the motherboard and power supply. I was planning on using this computer to run Windows XP Professional (after removing it from my self-built Linux workstation), but I could dual-boot Katonix Linux and Windows, or be brave and "ditch" Windows altogether.

In addition, my Linux workstation, assuming it is compatible with Katonix, will have enough disk space for me to install three or more Linux distributions. I still plan to install Debian Linux "testing/Etch," but after learning today of Novell's collaboration with Microsoft, I have a tempting "knee-jerk" reaction not to have anything to do with SuSE, although I know that I will calm down.

Finally, I can always run Debian "Etch," which will become the stable version in December, and Katonix Linux on the same computer. It would be, at the very least, an interesting experience!

My first step, however, is to download the latest ISO of the Katonix Linux "live" CD and to test it on my various computers.

Thank you for your reply, bosox79, and I especially appreciate your offer to answer any other questions that I might have. (I should probably find or start a Katonix Linux thread.)

With gratitude --

Cordially,

David
    David,

as long as you have an i586= intel pentium proccessors and compatible/ or above in your linux work station you should be fine. and I would be happy to anwser further question in another thread

search engine's
    G4L & JL forum search

Thumbs up Re: Kanotix Linux

Hello, bosox79!
    David,

as long as you have an i586= intel pentium proccessors and compatible/ or above in your linux work station you should be fine. and I would be happy to anwser further question in another thread
    Thank you for the technical tips.

I have rebuilt my humble Linux workstation, originally purchased as a system in 1998 three times -- but only the case and, amazingly, the floppy drive survive from that time; it has a 2.0-GHz Pentium-4 processor (without hyperthreading) and 1 MB of RAM, which everyone tells me is enough.

The Dell Dimension 8300 has a poorly ventilated case, but a 3.0-GHz Pentium 4 with hyperthreading, and 1 MB of RAM. (I'd really like to use this computer as parts for a new system, but I lack any funds right now.)

I am sure that I will have other questions about Kanotix Linux, bosox79, but -- as you point out -- a new thread would be appropriate.

Thank you very much for your assistance and helpful attitude, bosox79!

Cordially,

David

-- Elie Wiesel