Linux Flash 9 - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Linux Flash 9

Quote Originally Posted by klackenfus
    The new Flash player seems stable but I still find there are certain videos that it won't play. For instance, someone please let me know if they can see any of the videos at www.foxnews.com with the new plugin. All I get is the sound and a black screen.
    I am having the same problem
    Some of my favorite links

search engine's
    G4L & JL forum search
    one of the best Debian based distro's for new hardware
    registered Linux user # 288225

Yep, just a black box here too. Guess that's why you do betas.

true maybe the bugs well get worked out soon

search engine's
    G4L & JL forum search

Quote Originally Posted by klackenfus
    N

Try going to www.foxnews.com Not exactly my favorite website but it is a good test. Click on any of the video links and see what comes up.
    Odd, I don't crash, but I just get sound, no video. Though I'm using Firefox 2.0 RC3, so that might be why I don't crash completely.

I don't think anybody's crashing, but all you get is a black box where the video should be. I should have paid attention to whether there was any network traffic while I was on the page to see if it was actually downloading the video and not playing it or if there was a problem loading it period.

People's Republic of North America (Former United States)
    I should have paid attention to whether there was any network traffic while I was on the page to see if it was actually downloading the video and not playing it or if there was a problem loading it period.
    I did that. I actually waited 15 minutes, in one case, to see if it would come up but no luck. In the case of foxnews.com, there is obvious network traffic, because you get the audio portion.
    I equivocate, therefore I might be.

My Linux/Unix Boxes:
    Home: Slackware 10, CentOS 5.3, RHEL 5, Ubuntu Workstation 9.10, Work: RHEL 5, CentOS 5

Heh, I didn't even notice the audio. I either didn't stay long enough or I had my speakers turned down too low to hear it. Probably the latter since it seemed like the sound from Flash on other websites was really quiet for me too. Not sure why.

Doesn't work with the video.scifi.com stuff either (the BSG webisode thingies).

They load up just fine, and play the retarded 30-second commercial thingy just fine, but they never go on to load the actual webisode. Looks like a similar deal as foxnews.com, although there's no network traffic here.

(And then it hard-locked my entire machine. But that may be because I'm using the beta nvidia drivers also. I wouldn't think a userspace program should be able to lock up the whole machine, but given stuff like this, it doesn't really surprise me that it can. Sigh.)

It doesn't work for ytmnd.com

I've notcied that it looks like all those 'video feed' sites use the same engine which doesn't play videos.
    foxnews.com scifi.com nbc.com
    At least more loads now then before, with Flash 7 we'd only get a blank page

very true Icarus we are making progresses

search engine's
    G4L & JL forum search

Forgive me, but I don't know how to install the new Flash 9 over the older version. Could someone give me detailed instructions? Also, instructions on how to revert to the older version if things done go well. This would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

People's Republic of North America (Former United States)
    Forgive me, but I don't know how to install the new Flash 9 over the older version. Could someone give me detailed instructions? Also, instructions on how to revert to the older version if things done go well. This would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Pretty easy, just do the following:

1. Download FP9_plugin_beta_101806.tar.gz.

2. I'll assume you're in a GUI, so click on the downloaded file and extract the file that resides within the *.gz to someplace.

3. From the extracted directory, copy the libflashplayer.so file to your /firefox/plugins directory.

4. Restart your browser.
    I equivocate, therefore I might be.

My Linux/Unix Boxes:
    Home: Slackware 10, CentOS 5.3, RHEL 5, Ubuntu Workstation 9.10, Work: RHEL 5, CentOS 5

I'm running the standalone, and I load a url, hit enter, and get a flash, and a blank screen
    And for a fleeting second...I was not sure if I was a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or, a butterfly dreaming I was a man....Lao-tzu

I thought they said they weren't going to roll out a new flash player for linux until Flash 10 / late 2007. This is good news I guess. I'm getting pretty tired of not being able to watch half the flash content out there.
    Linux user #188370
    Long live Sensei!