Firefox 2.0 Install help for a N00b

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefox 2.0 Install help for a N00b

Question Firefox 2.0 Install help for a N00b

I recently downloaded Firefox 2.0 from http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/, but am at a loss as to how to install it. I was successful at getting it to a /tmp folder and unzipping it (untarring it, un-gz'ing it or whatever its called). I can even go to a terminal session, get in the folder and type ./firefox and make it fire up.... the terminal window displays many errors, but the browser fires up without any obvisous problems and none of my Bookmarks.

I don't see a configure file in the lot... nor an install, or anything else that seems like the obvious (to a N00b like me) choice. Yes, I can say with confidence that I am in the directory as "root" - and I feel good knowing that I know this makes a difference.

I did follow the links to the Installation Instructions on the page, but for reasons unknown to me, they only have instructions for Windows installs - go figure.

Please help!!

Thanks,
    Ret

Did you try yum install firefox?

Never heard of it... but this is what I got:

[ret@localhost firefox]$ yum install firefox
    bash: yum: command not found
    [ret@localhost firefox]$

I'm using PCLinuxOS BigDaddy 0.93a... is "yum" an app or something? I'll go looking for it anyway...

Next suggestion?

I see a file called "updater*" but it expects parameters and paths and such... I tried the path that my current Firefox shortcut points to, but it didn't make a difference..

Ret

If it helps, here is the ls of the directory:

[ret@localhost firefox]$ ls -1
    browserconfig.properties
    chrome/
    components/
    defaults/
    dictionaries/
    extensions/
    firefox*
    firefox-bin*
    greprefs/
    icons/
    libfreebl3.chk
    libfreebl3.so*
    libmozjs.so*
    libnspr4.so*
    libnss3.so*
    libnssckbi.so*
    libplc4.so*
    libplds4.so*
    libsmime3.so*
    libsoftokn3.chk
    libsoftokn3.so*
    libssl3.so*
    libxpcom_compat.so*
    libxpcom_core.so*
    libxpcom.so*
    libxpistub.so*
    mozilla-xremote-client*
    plugins/
    readme.txt
    removed-files*
    res/
    run-mozilla.sh*
    searchplugins/
    updater*
    updater.ini
    updates/
    xpicleanup*
    [ret@localhost firefox]$

Thanks,
    Ret

Transplanted from beautiful La Quinta, CA to Long Beach, CA...there are no stars here at night!
    Experience has taught me that this general approach (do one thing at a time, in the local directory [lots of cd-ing]) seems to be easier for newbies, if a console session has to be done:

Open a console session.
    su to root
    do: cd /
    do: ls
    if you don't have an /opt directory
    do: mkdir opt
    do: cd /opt
    # Move the file firefox-2.0.tar.gz into your /opt directory.
    if you already have firefox-2.0.tar.gz on your filesystem
    do: mv path/to/file/firefox-2.0.tar.gz . <--note the trailing period
    if you don't have firefox-2.0.tar.gz on your filesystem
    do: tar -xzvf firefox-2.0.tar.gz
    do: cd /usr/bin
    do: rm -f firefox
    do: ln -s /opt/firefox/firefox firefox
    do: exit
    do: cd ~
    do: firefox %u

At this point, Firefox should run fine.

do: exit

create your GNOME or KMenu entry for Firefox, using 'firefox %u' as the command to be executed.
    Last edited by EnigmaOne; 11-02-2006 at 01:59 PM. Reason: [Update and clarify]

Thanks enigma.

That's much more straightforward guide.
    I'll delete my post so it's not there adding to confusion.
    ladoga

Just for reference, you won't find yum for PCLOS. I think that's Mandriva-based so it would be more likely to have URPMI, but I'm sure it has a GUI package manager that you'd probably be just as well off using.

The reason you have no bookmarks may be that you're running it as root. If you normally run Firefox as a normal user (which you should) then it won't find those bookmarks because it will be looking in root's home directory.

Transplanted from beautiful La Quinta, CA to Long Beach, CA...there are no stars here at night!
    I've never tried running Firefox in this way, without using the %u parameter; which is supposed to force working directory references to the user account home directory.

Running firefox without it may result in a working directory path back to the non-writeable /opt/firefox/ directory.

I'll have to try that sometime.

So thaaat's what the %u is for. Learn something new every day.

i`m sorry. I did not know you ran PCLOS. Apparently, the better command is

apt-get install firefox

I don`t use PCLOS, so i gather that from Goolge.

P.S. There are some really good GUI front ends to apt and yum but, I think understanding the command line makes them even better.
    Last edited by phlipant; 11-02-2006 at 06:03 PM.

Coolio!! Thanks everyone... I'm going to give this a go in a bit and hopefully I'll post back using the shiney new Firefox 2.

Thanks for all the extra explanation too... that stuff is more valuable than actually getting Firefox 2 installed!

Ret

EnigmaOne, I'm new here and searched the forum for instructions on how to upgrade my firefox to the newer version I've been hearing so much about. I hope this helps me with my youtube problems (lack of sound). I installed successfully and opened v2.0 in console using the last of your commands. However, I cannot find out how to get into the newer version in GUI. My desktop link and menu links all start up the old firefox, v1.0.7 I think. How can I fix this?

You need to find the firefox executable wherever you installed 2.0. Right click on your desktop link and edit it so that it points to this new one. Menu links will depend on which WM you're using, but there should be some method to edit those too.

Also, you might want to check whether your distro has an updated package for 2.0. Installing things using your distro's native package format is always preferred if you can find what you're looking for.

right click on those icons and menu entries and edit the path that they open when clicked.
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

Ok, this is totally messed up now. I've been watching some videos I've downloaded using limewire (Lost television episodes). They are excellent quality. I installed firefox and then flash 7 and now every video I had will not appear as it did previously in kaffeine, xine, or mplayer. Now they are appear to be lower quality and the video skips horribly.