floppyfw - I need help getting this to work

Thread: floppyfw - I need help getting this to work

floppyfw - I need help getting this to work

http://www.zelow.no/floppyfw/
    floppyfw is a router with the advanced firewall-capabilities in Linux that fits on one single floppy disc.

I got it running, I read all the documentation I could even though it is all out of date. I have had bad experience with ignorant, smug RTFM linux snobs on IRC, I hope I wont run into any on these forums and I hope they get banned!

I am mostly a newbie to linux (total newbie to networking) but I can keep it running and do basic tasks. The reason I want floppy fw is that I dont need a hard drive and I can use an extra computer to do IP masquerading. I have many saved nic cards for this purpose.

First off I choose not to ask for help on the forums themselves. The response time is slow and exchanging information in real time is not possible.
    My options are yahoo chat and IRC chat. My yahoo is ID beosmrx
    I can tell more about what I have done and what I am having trouble with on IM.

that seems kinda dated, you might have a look at pfsense, it runs on a cd or usbkey, is very secure and well maintained, not to mention noob friendly

http://pfsense.org/

Quote Originally Posted by dkeav
    that seems kinda dated, you might have a look at pfsense, it runs on a cd or usbkey, is very secure and well maintained, not to mention noob friendly

http://pfsense.org/
    I like the idea, except floppyfw would work for what I want and I am not looking for the kitchen sink. Any one else ? Maybe you could chat with me on IRC and try to get it running with me.

Transplanted from beautiful La Quinta, CA to Long Beach, CA...there are no stars here at night!
    beosmrx,

Let me give you a bit of polite advice:

In just these two posts (your other 4 posts are only in the hardware trading sub-forum), I see 6 distinct instances where you have gravely insulted a potential majority of those from whom you propose to seek help. Please read the entirety of http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html and give some thought to dumping your sig line entirely. It is analogous to slapping a stranger in the face; and immediately asking that person for a donation so you can eat, and a ride home. If you do not fully understand this, you will always have problems with people in the Open Source community, and it's not their fault.

Many people who attempt to help others here, give freely of their own time, to help the community. Some of them are professionals in the field, and do this on their own terms and, generally speaking, do so to help more than just a single individual. That's why Just Linux is here--as a repository of information to be of assistance to anyone willing to search and read.

You propose a scenario wherein you are taking somebody's time--on your own terms--in a way that provides no benefit for the community at large. In my humble opinion, this amounts to a request for a professional consultancy; for which I'm certain there are many competent individuals available who might assist you.

However, a request for a professional consultancy should be accompanied with the willingness, and offer, to pay for the time devoted to solving your problem for you. Should you be unwilling to tender payment for services rendered to your specifications, I should think that you will have to content yourself with seeking a resolution to your problems within the natural limitations imposed by the medium of exchange in message boards and forums like JustLinux.

If, as you stated, you "choose not to ask for help on the forums themselves", then you simply don't want help. That is your choice. You will find clear reasoning in Raymond's writings, to support this 'odd perspective' of the Open Source community; which is often mistaken for snobbishness by those who prefer to be given something for nothing.

From your first link:
    "Is Eric Raymond and the RTFM jerk crowd driving away good contributers and users from free software?"

beosmrx, judging from your little rant above, I doubt you're a "good contributor", but rather a "user". In every sense of the word...

Nevertheless, you may one day become a good Open Source community member, so why don't you post specific questions about the problems you're having with floppyfw? There might be someone here who will help you...
    Last edited by je_fro; 11-02-2006 at 06:14 AM.
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

Quote Originally Posted by beosmrx
    Stop being a troll you ignorant moderator you need to be stripped of your mod privileges for irresponsible use.
    HaHa...I think we all know who the troll is here...

Anyway, very well said EnigmaOne!
    Last edited by je_fro; 11-02-2006 at 11:37 PM.
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS