19-Inch LCD Equvalent to 21-inch CRT? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 19-Inch LCD Equvalent to 21-inch CRT?

Shopping around on Black Friday, I saw a nice black 1400x1050 LCD monitor at Office Depot. I don't remember the model.

My Trinitron monitor is branded "IBM". They have them at TigerDirect.com for $50 (around $130 when shipping is factored in--big and HEAVY). The actual Trinitron tube, of course, is made by Sony.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Well, davidmd, why not buy 1 19" LCD and 1 21" LCD next time?
    Come under the reign of the Idiot King...
    Come to me ... I love linux!

Registered Linux user: Idiot King #350544

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMD
    How do you like the 20-inch Dell monitor you use at work?
    It's mostly OK. There are a couple of "weak" pixels -- they're not dead pixels, as their color does change. But the color doesn't match what it should be. If I make my entire screen white, they'll show up as some color that I don't remember. If I make my screen that color, they'll show up as another color. If I make my screen black, they'll show up as a color.

(Normally a dead pixel will be blue when it should be black, or black when it should be blue, but not both.)

But it's only 2 pixels, and it doesn't annoy me. The only annoying thing is the stupid Dell screen that it shows whenever I turn it on.

I also don't know what kind of panel it actually contains, so this is probably less than helpful...

Question Re: 19-Inch LCD Equvalent to 21-inch CRT?

Hello, Isaac.
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaacKuo
    Shopping around on Black Friday, I saw a nice black 1400x1050 LCD monitor at Office Depot. I don't remember the model.

My Trinitron monitor is branded "IBM". They have them at TigerDirect.com for $50 (around $130 when shipping is factored in--big and HEAVY). The actual Trinitron tube, of course, is made by Sony.
    Thank you for your reply.

AccurateIT has an excellent selection of refurbished an new Trintron-based, 21-inch CRT monitors. They carry a few LCD monitors, as well. Their sales and customer support are very helpful, as well.

My Dell/Trinitron 21-inch, Trinitron-based, CRT monitor may last for a while, but it is definitely fading.

I bought a Sony-branded 21-inch (19.8-inch viewable) Trinitron monitor several years ago, which has a maximum digital resolution of 2,000 and something (horizontal) by a large vertical resolution.

Because I paid $1,000, including tax, to go with a G4 Power Macintosh, I have kept it in the box, because there is a smoker in my temporary living situation, and I had a 17-inch Sony-branded CRT monitor that was ruined by the second-hand smoke. The resolution of this monitor is incredible; I would provide the maximimum resolution to you, Issac, but I am not at home right now. (I just hate to have this fine monitor ruined by second-hand smoke, and my living situation will change in the future.)

Whatever I decide to do, after I have started my new contract, technical-writing on 12 December, I can start seriously searching for a replacement monitor.

If 20.0-, 20.1-, or 21-inch monitors should prove out of my range, I may have to buy a 19-inch LCD monitor.

I have spinal stenosis, so picking up or even moving a 72-pound, 21-inch monitor is simply out of the question.

Thank you very much, Issac!

Cordially,

David
    Linux Distribution: Debian GNU/Linux (Desktop & Server)

Registered Linux User # 315892
    <http://ddickerson.igc.org/>

"In a world of absurdity, we must
    invent reason; we must create
    beauty out of nothingness."
    -- Elie Wiesel

Gary Arthur Weaver: 18 July 1942 - 29 December 2006

Smile Re: 19-Inch LCD Equvalent to 21-inch CRT?

Hello, XiaoKJ
    Quote Originally Posted by XiaoKJ
    Well, davidmd, why not buy 1 19" LCD and 1 21" LCD next time?
    Thank you for your message.

I appreciate your suggestion, but I want an LCD monitor with a higher native resolution [higher than] 1280x1024, although finances will be a problem

I am hoping that my 21-inch CRT monitor last a bit longer, because LCD monitors larger than 19 inches are extremely expensive.

Thank you for the advice, XiaoKJ!

Cordially,

David
    Last edited by DavidMD; 12-07-2006 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Corrected Typographical Error

-- Elie Wiesel

Smile Re: 19-Inch LCD Equvalent to 21-inch CRT?

Hello, bwkaz.
    Quote Originally Posted by bwkaz
    It's mostly OK. There are a couple of "weak" pixels -- they're not dead pixels, as their color does change. But the color doesn't match what it should be. If I make my entire screen white, they'll show up as some color that I don't remember. If I make my screen that color, they'll show up as another color. If I make my screen black, they'll show up as a color....
    Thank you very much for your message.

I will be using a Dell widescreen monitor with a Dell tower at the new on-site, contract technical-writing job that I start on 12 December.

I hope that the company's the IT department checks each Dell LCD monitor for problems with pixels, but I seriously doubt that they do so. (The company is a "Windows workshop" and, apparently, uses only Dell hardare.)

Cordially,

David
    Last edited by DavidMD; 12-07-2006 at 11:08 AM.

-- Elie Wiesel

Hello, XiaoKJThank you for your message.

I appreciate your suggestion, but I want an LCD monitor with a higher native resolution at 1280x1024, although finances will be a problem

I am hoping that my 21-inch CRT monitor last a bit longer, because LCD monitors larger than 19 inches are extremely expensive.

Thank you for the advice, XiaoKJ!

Cordially,

David
    Do you mean "than" or "at" 1280x1024?
    What my post meant is that, if you are constrained financially, why not consider replacing the monitors one at a time, and have them asymmetrically
    sized (assuming you can continue to work comfortably with the asymmetry). If you mean your "at", then 19" LCD monitors already fufill your need, and thus you can go out and replace the fading CRT right now, and look for an upgrade when your finances become better/LCD prices drop enough.

However, if you mean "than" rather than "at" 1280x1024, then I cannot help you.

Finally, do you mean to say that 1280x1024 is still to little for you? I cannot imagine! I myself run at 1024x768 on a 15" LCD! Sometimes, rather than trying hard to widen your means, it may be better to live within them for the time being. If you are running out of screen real estate for the moment, I would really suggest tidying up a bit (no 1 method of recovering wasted space) or running less apps at one go (less frantic multitasking) or even using the multiple workspaces to their max!

Post Re: 19-Inch LCD Equvalent to 21-inch CRT?

Hello, XiaoK.
    Do you mean "than" or "at" 1280x1024?
    What my post meant is that, if you are constrained financially, why not consider replacing the monitors one at a time, and have them asymmetrically
    sized (assuming you can continue to work comfortably with the asymmetry). If you mean your "at", then 19" LCD monitors already fufill your need, and thus you can go out and replace the fading CRT right now, and look for an upgrade when your finances become better/LCD prices drop enough.

However, if you mean "than" rather than "at" 1280x1024, then I cannot help you.

Finally, do you mean to say that 1280x1024 is still to little for you? I cannot imagine! I myself run at 1024x768 on a 15" LCD! Sometimes, rather than trying hard to widen your means, it may be better to live within them for the time being. If you are running out of screen real estate for the moment, I would really suggest tidying up a bit (no 1 method of recovering wasted space) or running less apps at one go (less frantic multitasking) or even using the multiple workspaces to their max!
    Thank you for your message.

You write, XiaoK, "Finally, do you mean to say that 1280x1024 is still to little for you? I cannot imagine!..." It's not that it is "too little" for me, XiaoK, but that I can get so much more done with a higher resolution!

I mean "greater than 1280x1024" native resolution. After having had the opportunity of running operating systems and applications at a higher resolution than 1280x1024, XiaoK, I realized the vast productivity increase of a monitor with a resolution greater than 1280x1024. I was amazed the first time I ran Solaris, before OpenSolaris, at how much I could get done on one single desktop, set at a high resolution! I can remember when I thought that 1021x768 was the highest resolution that I would ever need, but I was wrong.

For the time being, I am going to use my 21-inch, Trinitron-based, refurbished Dell monitor at 1280x1024 for as long as it lasts.

Thank you, XiaoK!

Cordially,

David

-- Elie Wiesel

XiaoK would really refer to a female name, david.

Anyway, I've heard of the productivity increase too, and I suppose you are right. The money is yours, and you decide what to do with it. I'm just suggesting alternatives.

Hello, XiaoKJ!
    XiaoK would really refer to a female name, david.

Anyway, I've heard of the productivity increase too, and I suppose you are right. The money is yours, and you decide what to do with it. I'm just suggesting alternatives.
    Thank you for your message and clarifying your gender.

I very much appreciate your "suggesting alternatives," XiaoKJ! With Linux, there are always alternatives and options.

The steep price of LCD monitors larger than 19-inches is staggering, so I may very well end up with a 19-inch LCD monitor, for economic reasons.

When my fading 21-inch CRT monitor fails, I will need to replace it right away -- and funds will dictate what the LCD replacment will be (not what I would necessarily want) -- and with a 19-inch LCD monitor, I would not lose any resolution, and save some money. (I have used a screen resolution of 1280x1024 for years, the native resolution for most 19-inch LCD monitors.)

I do have an expensive, 21-inch CRT monitor that I bought a few years ago, but I have never taken it out of the box or installed it, because there is a smoker in the house, and I would hate to see a $1,000 (US) monitor get damaged by the cigarette tar and residue. (I had a Sony 17-inch Trinitron CRT monitor get ruined in this house because of the smoke residue)

The 21-inch CRT monitor in question is a Sony FD Trinitron, Model CPD-E500, with viewing area of 19.8. The monitor has a 0.24mm AG pitch and a resolution range of 640x480 to 2048x1536!

I have purchased refurbished CRT, 21-inch, Trinitron-based, monitors (but without the high resolution of the Sony FD Trinitron), figuring that when the second-hand smoke cuts short their "lives," losing those monitors is better than losing the $1,000 Sony FD Trinitron to smoke residue. (Plus, this living arrangement is temporary, so I can use the Sony monitor later, after I move to a "smoke-free environment.")

Thank you, again, XiaoKJ, for your comments and help! If you have any other suggestions, I would gratefully accept them.

Cordially,

David

-- Elie Wiesel

Transplanted from beautiful La Quinta, CA to Long Beach, CA...there are no stars here at night!
    Another suggestion would be something along the lines of what I've been using for the past few years: Dual 19" LCDs, in a 2560 x 1024 resolution configuration. At current LCD pricing, this seems to be a worthwhile alternative arrangement.

In my situation, I find it difficult to move above the component 1280x1024 resolution setting, simply because of vision constraints. Setting system fonts larger, for a higher native resolution setting, runs into the arena of diminishing returns because windows contain less usable information.

With 20 virtual desktops, I have the equivalent of 40, 1280x1024, 19-inch monitors-worth of desktop real estate to work with--most of it occupied at any given time. I couldn't do without it.

Food for thought, at any rate.

Greetings, EnigmaOne!
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaOne
    Another suggestion would be something along the lines of what I've been using for the past few years: Dual 19" LCDs, in a 2560 x 1024 resolution configuration. At current LCD pricing, this seems to be a worthwhile alternative arrangement.

In my situation, I find it difficult to move above the component 1280x1024 resolution setting, simply because of vision constraints....

Food for thought, at any rate.
    Thank you for your reply, EnigmaOne! It, indeed, provides excellent "food for thought" and I have actually considered this option.

Your description of using two 19-inch monitors, EnigmaOne, seems to indicate that one can configure the two 19-inch monitors as a single screen, because -- as you know -- the native resolution of 19-inch LCD monitors is 1280x1024. (If course, I have the problem of desk space with which to contend.)

I need actually to see an LCD monitor with a resolution highter than 1280x1024. I have presbyopia, the natural result, for most of us, of getting older. Therefore, my eyes may not even tolerate a resolution above 1280x1024!

I still, of course, have the 21-inch LCD Sony FD Trinitron monitor, if I am willing to expose it to second-hand smoke; its maximum resolution is 2048x1536. I paid a fortune for this monitor ($1,000 US, with tax) a few years ago, and the smoke had already "killed" a 17-inch Sony Trinitron monitor.

I may end up finding that a 19-inch LCD monitor with multiple virtual desktops is the best option, given the fact that I, too, have "vision constraints."

Thank you again, EnigmaOne!

Cordially,

David

P.S. -- Speaking of "vision contraints," does anyone know if CRT or LCD monitors are less stressful on one's vision? Thank you!

-- Elie Wiesel

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaOne
    With 20 virtual desktops, I have the equivalent of 40, 1280x1024, 19-inch monitors-worth of desktop real estate to work with--most of it occupied at any given time. I couldn't do without it.
    Whoa, now that's multitasking.

Transplanted from beautiful La Quinta, CA to Long Beach, CA...there are no stars here at night!
    Your description of using two 19-inch monitors, EnigmaOne, seems to indicate that one can configure the two 19-inch monitors as a single screen, because -- as you know -- the native resolution of 19-inch LCD monitors is 1280x1024. (If course, I have the problem of desk space with which to contend.)
    I am using the LCD pair in a unified desktop manner, as you would suspect:
    Left-hand monitor is LCD #1 and handles the left-side of the unified desktop contents.
    Right-hand monitor is LCD #2 and handles the right-side of the unified desktop contents.

Handling desk space was no problem in this instance, as the monitors readily accept VESA wall-mount brackets, putting them at the correct eye-level for my environment.

(BTW: We are in the same situation, vision-wise; which occasioned my mention of vision constraints. I have found the aggregate 2560x1024 to be the highest resolution I can deal with at this time--until I move to 23" LCD's, then it's back to experimenting with settings.)

P.S. -- Speaking of "vision contraints," does anyone know if CRT or LCD monitors are less stressful on one's vision? Thank you!
    Speaking only in the personal context, I have found the LCD's to be far-less strain-inducing than CRT's. Where 8 straight hours in front of CRT's would totally trash my vision for the subsequent 4 hours; I can easily do 12 straight hours in front of the LCD's and function normally afterwards. (No tripping over my own feet or pouring the coffee on the floor instead of in the cup.)

Quote Originally Posted by cybertron
    Whoa, now that's multitasking.
    {grin} At a snail's pace, of course.

Actually, I don't multitask very well. It's usually just one big task at a time, with a bunch of little, sequential, steps spread all over the place. I'm finding that I really could use more desktop space, for certain tasks. (Probably time to consider a triple or quad arrangement for that particular machine.)

I agree that LCDs are much better than CRTs for the eyes, and that multitasking is not worth the effort for most people.

However, having the CRT sitting in the box would be a complete waste of the thousand over you spent on it, david. Do you even consider selling it?

Secondly, I really think the smoke argument shouldn't stand. Any computer device, including the big box or everything, will be affected by the smoke. If you can use the money on the monitors, you will need a considerable sum to do constructive work on the 2 monitors right? And smoking is bad for everyone's health. I really don't have a voice over this, but you know what I'm trying to convey.

Anyway, back on topic. For your eye's sake, you will have to convert to LCDs. That means the CRT is useless to you and you should sell it ASAP to recoup whatever value is in it.