19-Inch LCD Equvalent to 21-inch CRT? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 19-Inch LCD Equvalent to 21-inch CRT?

Question Re: 19-Inch LCD Equvalent to 21-inch CRT?

Grettings, EnigmaOne!

Thank you for describing your LCD monitor setup. I am impressed, and you certainly solved the desk-space problem by mounting the monitors on wall-mount brackets. (If I were to do so in my situation, however, the monitors would be too far away, because of the depth of my main computer workstation.)

It's always nice to meet another presbyopic who is also a Linux enthusiast, because we have the same problems with vision.

I work very well at a resolution of 1280x1024, the native resolution of 19-inch LCDs, but if I could actually try out a higher resolution LCD, to see if my vision is strained, then it would be foolish to purchase an LCD monitor larger than 19 inches.

I will have to address my situation sooner or later, because I do not know how long my Dell/Trinitron 21-inch monitor will last.

Thank you, EnigmaOne, for your confirmation that LCD monitors are easier on the eyes the CRT monitors. For the contract technical-writing job that I start on Tuesday, I will be using the company's standard hardware setup -- a Dell desktop tower (specifications unknown) and a Dell wide-screen monitor (specifications unknown). I, therefore, will have the opportunity to try a greater resolution than 1280x1024, to see if I encounter eyestrain.

That experience will definitely help me decide on the size of LCD monitor I should buy, unless I decide to unpack my 21-inch Sony FD Trinitron CRT monitor, which has a maximum resolution of 2048x1536. (The only problem with the Sony monitor is that there is a smoker in the house, but it does seem totally pointless not to use the Sony monitor, although it is a CRT monitor. By the time it starts to fade, I assume that the prices of LCD monitors will have dropped considerably.)

If you were in my situation, EnigmaOne, what would you do? If I use the Sony CRT monitor, I will have to be careful about spending too much time in front of it. On the other hand, I would not have to buy another monitor for some time, saving me the expense.

Thank you, again, EnigmaOne!

Cordially,

David
    Linux Distribution: Debian GNU/Linux (Desktop & Server)

Registered Linux User # 315892
    <http://ddickerson.igc.org/>

"In a world of absurdity, we must
    invent reason; we must create
    beauty out of nothingness."
    -- Elie Wiesel

Gary Arthur Weaver: 18 July 1942 - 29 December 2006

Lightbulb Re: 19-Inch LCD Equvalent to 21-inch CRT?

Greetings, XiaoKJ!
    Quote Originally Posted by XiaoKJ
    I agree that LCDs are much better than CRTs for the eyes....

However, having the CRT sitting in the box would be a complete waste of the thousand over you spent on it, david....

Secondly, I really think the smoke argument shouldn't stand....
    Thank you very much for your message.

I am now seriously considering taking the Sony FD Trinitron out of the box and using it, despite the addiction of another household member to cigarettes (nicotine). In addition, my living situation will change to a smoke-free environment in the future.

As you say, I should either use the monitor or sell it.

You are right about other components being subjected to smoke in the air. I try to clean the insides of my computer cases on a regular basis, but I realize that I cannot remove all of the smoke residue.

At this point, XiaoKJ, I an seriously leaning toward using the Sony FD Trinitron. Despite the problem of exposing it to smoke residue, I would gain the ability to work at a resolution higher than 1280x1024, without having to spend any money right now.

My presbyopia is mainly a problem when I read, particularly small print, but it has not yet proven to be a problem with computer monitors. I use computers without wearing my glasses and have no problems seeing anything, but I realize that a CRT monitor does cause more eystrain than an LCD monitor.

I thank you for your observations and suggestions, XiaoKJ!

Cordially,

David

P.S. -- If anyone has any other suggestions, I would be grateful. I thank everyone who has responded to this thread!

-- Elie Wiesel

Question Re: 19-Inch LCD Equvalent to 21-inch CRT?

Image Quality: CRT versus LCD

Hello, again, everyone.

I would appreciate your help, regarding monitors, in "jogging my memory."

I believe that read somewhere that the display of a good CRT monitor is generally of better quality than the display of an LCD monitor. (Of course, the CRT will cause more eyestrain.)

Did I dream that I read this fact, or is it actually true?

Thank you very much, in advance!

Cordially,

David

-- Elie Wiesel

Transplanted from beautiful La Quinta, CA to Long Beach, CA...there are no stars here at night!
    (The wall brackets do have adjustable, swinging, extension arms for my positioning comfort. I sound like an ad, now. I should stop.)
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidMD
    If you were in my situation, EnigmaOne, what would you do? If I use the Sony CRT monitor, I will have to be careful about spending too much time in front of it. On the other hand, I would not have to buy another monitor for some time, saving me the expense.
    In the situation you've described, I'd drag the 21" monitor out of the box and use it. It's aging in the box, anyway; and, I have several customers who smoke directly in front of their machines without observable degradation of their computer components, nor lower service-life out of those same components.

I don't see the "smoker in the house" being a disincentive for anything outside of the living situation itself.

I believe that read somewhere that the display of a good CRT monitor is generally of better quality than the display of an LCD monitor. (Of course, the CRT will cause more eyestrain.)

Did I dream that I read this fact, or is it actually true?
    LCDs are improving all the time. This was, without a doubt, true in the early days of desktop LCD monitors. It is not as true today.

I find that, given a good LCD monitor, my eyes tend to prefer the look of images displayed on the LCD; but we're not talking about cheap hardware either. What CRTs have over LCDs, at this time, is:
    (1.) Sufficiently small pixel size, at high-end resolutions.
    (2.) Sufficiently fast response time (horizontal sweep and vertical refresh), for motion rendering.
    Last edited by EnigmaOne; 12-10-2006 at 02:01 PM.

Thumbs up Re: 19-Inch LCD Equvalent to 21-inch CRT?

Hello, EnigmaOne.

Thank you for your message.
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaOne
    In the situation you've described, I'd drag the 21" monitor out of the box and use it. It's aging in the box, anyway; and, I have several customers who smoke directly in front of their machines without observable degradation of their computer components, nor lower service-life out of those same components.
    I tend to agree with you EnigmaOne. I originally bought the high-end Sony 21-inch monitor to go with a brand new second-generation G4 Power Macintosh, but then I started worrying about the smoke residue and stupidly left the monitor in the box, as if the G4 tower itself would somehow be immune to the smoke.
    I find that, given a good LCD monitor, my eyes tend to prefer the look of images displayed on the LCD; but we're not talking about cheap hardware either. What CRTs have over LCDs, at this time, is:
    (1.) Sufficiently small pixel size, at high-end resolutions.
    (2.) Sufficiently fast response time (horizontal sweep and vertical refresh), for motion rendering.
    Thank you for this information, EnigmaOne. If I did not have the Sony FD Trinitron, I would go with an LCD monitor, because of the eyestrain, combined with the fact that I am not getting any younger.

I will, however, have to monitor my eyestrain carefully if I use the CRT Sony monitor. I have recently noticed that my eyeglasses are not working as well, so my vision has obviously deteriorated.

Cordially,

David

-- Elie Wiesel

Transplanted from beautiful La Quinta, CA to Long Beach, CA...there are no stars here at night!
    Brace yourself for the coming years, my friend.

I'm at the point where I must use my glasses for anything within 3 feet, or so, of me. I want my 25 year-old eyes back.

If you have used the CRT, david, then you should try it out to see if a higher resolution suits you.

If you haven't used the CRT (i.e. its still in its "just bought" state), please try to see if the boxed CRTs are worth more than second hand. If the price difference is high enough, just sell it and don't even think of it any more. This is economics.
    Come under the reign of the Idiot King...
    Come to me ... I love linux!

Registered Linux user: Idiot King #350544

Smile Re: 19-Inch LCD Equvalent to 21-inch CRT?

Greetings, EnigmaOne!
    Brace yourself for the coming years, my friend....
    I started my contract, technical-writing job today with an LCD monitor with a native resolution of 1280x1024 and a four-year-old Dell Optiplex. My manager says that he will "see to" my hardware situation. (There are several issues, including the fact that the Optiplex is very slow and the hard drive "churns" all of the time. Even the keyboard is missing one of its two "legs" and everything is covered with dust.)

Everyone else has widescreen LCD Dell monitors or dual-monitors, but I am "just a contractor," at least at this point.

So, I still need to try an LCD monitor at a resolution higher than 1280x1024 to see if my presbyopic eyes can handle the increased resolution.

I forgot my glasses today (my first) but I did fine. I did use Microsoft's ClearType to make the text easier to read, but the machine is "as slow as molasses," as we say in the southern United States -- so I'll have to submit a trouble ticket.

The changes that the years bring on are not usually pleasant: I am still waiting for that "wisdom" that I am supposed to be gaining as my body starts its decline!

Thank you, EnigmaOne!

Cordially,

David

-- Elie Wiesel

Greetings, XiaoKJ!
    If you have used the CRT, david, then you should try it out to see if a higher resolution suits you.

If you haven't used the CRT (i.e. its still in its "just bought" state), please try to see if the boxed CRTs are worth more than second hand....
    With the start of this demanding contract technical-writing job today, XiaoKJ, I have not had the time to unseal the Sony monitor's box. I know that I cannot get anywhere near what I paid for it if I sell it.

Of course, if I do not open the box, I can sell the monitor for a bit more. If I use the monitor to test it at resolutions higher than 1280x1024, then the resale value will be even less.

The other factor I have to consider (besides economics) is that I have spinal stenosis, which surgery won't help, so a 72-pound, 21-inch monitor is essentially an "unmovable object" for me.

I truly appreciate your suggestions, XiaoKJ!

Cordially,

David

-- Elie Wiesel

Best of luck with the new position, David (and keep that molasses warmed-up a bit...seems to help a bit).

I am still waiting for that "wisdom" that I am supposed to be gaining as my body starts its decline!
    {Middle-Age Tip (from Better Homes and Gardens, I'm told)}
    The wisdom never really comes the way we had hoped so, the next-best thing is looking at people over your glasses. If done correctly, people won't know the difference and will feel guilty for not paying to talk with you.

Greetings, EnigmaOne!
    Best of luck with the new position, David (and keep that molasses warmed-up a bit...seems to help a bit).
    Thank you very much for your warm, personal wishes, and especially for the middle-age tip.

I missed the first two days of work this week because of a virus, but plan to go in tomorrow (Wednesday).

----- Off Topic -----

On the way to the doctor today, I was to meet with my uncle and his wife at the medical center that is part of the closest hospital: My uncle had an emergency appointment with his oncologist. When I arrived in the lobby, I saw a small crowd assembled. Immediately, I sensed that my uncle was the cause of the commotion, and broke through the crowd to find him having a seizure on the lobby floor. We went straight to the emergency room and I returned there after my doctor's appointment -- to be with him, to do what I could, and to be of support to his wife.

My uncle is now in the hospital and, at this point, it appears that the end might be near, but we simply do not have enough information. (I went to my doctor, literally with my uncle's dried blood on my hands, from his ordeal in the ER.)

I just got back from the hospital and I am numb with shock. We all knew that the end would come, eventually, but we do not even know if this is the beginning of the end, although the information that we do have is not good.

My uncle is "the brother that I never had," and we have become extremely close since his diagnosis of cancer in March. The time that I was unable to find work for most of this year allowed me to help my uncle in endless ways -- as if my unemployment were planned in some way, although I do not believe that Providence "micromanages" our lives.

Today, my life changed forever in a horrible way, and the ordeal has just begun.

We should each treasure the people in our lives, even our "electronic friends" (e.g., the late Mike Watts). I consider JustLinux a community, and I am grateful for everyone in JustLinux who has, and will, touch my life.

With warmest regards,

David

-- Elie Wiesel

---off-topic---

I suppose you'll accept some prayers, but I'm not christian.

Nonetheless, I wish your uncle luck, and please look on the brighter side of things.
    Don't think too much about it either. As long as life ends peacefully, there shouldn't be any regrets. Cheer up, ok?
    Come under the reign of the Idiot King...
    Come to me ... I love linux!

Registered Linux user: Idiot King #350544

Indeed, Mike is sorely missed.

We will keep you, and your family in our hearts, David.

Yasher Koach ve Elokim Yerachem.

Thumbs up Re: 19-Inch LCD Equvalent to 21-inch CRT

Greetings, XiaoKJ.
    ---off-topic---

I suppose you'll accept some prayers, but I'm not christian.

Nonetheless, I wish your uncle luck, and please look on the brighter side of things.

Don't think too much about it either. As long as life ends peacefully, there shouldn't be any regrets. Cheer up, ok?
    I gratefully accept warm wishes and any form of encouragement. (Religion, as far as I am concerned, is personal, and each of us has the right to keep it personal. In addition, a person's religion, or total lack thereof, does not matter at all to me. I respect and admire you for who you are, XiaoKJ, and the topic of religion is irrelevant.)

I apologize for the off-topic outburst. I had no business posting a totally inappropriate message to the JustJinux forums, especially in my emotional state.

I do, however, appreciate your kind response, and I strongly retain my belief that JustLinux is a community; it's important to my personal life, as well as to my involvement with Linux!

Thank you, XiaoKJ!

Cordially,

David

-- Elie Wiesel

Smile Re: 19-Inch LCD Equvalent to 21-inch CRT

Greetings, EnigmaOne!
    Indeed, Mike is sorely missed.

We will keep you, and your family in our hearts, David.

Yasher Koach ve Elokim Yerachem.
    Thank you very much for your kind, supportive message, especially in light of my flagrant violation of JustLinux protocols -- posting a message that had no business being here! (I apologize to the moderators and to everyone else.)

Mike Watts was truly "a gentleman and a prince," and those of us who were lucky enough to get to know him personally will always miss him.

I don't want to seem maudlin, but I am very thankful for the current moderators of the JustLinux forums, and for all of my fellow members of this on-line community.

With warmest regards,

David

-- Elie Wiesel