CD help

Thread: CD help

Question CD help

Hello,

I just finished downloading the Ubuntu 6.10 i-386 alternate CD from the oregon mirror. I checked the ISO MD5 sum and it matched which means it is OK. When I put the CD into my work Dell GX270 DVD drive, boot into the CD and tell it to check CD for defects everything seems to go fine until it hits 46%, which is the perl section. There it just stops and seems to become un-responsive.

Does this mean the CD burn is bad or the media, or the ISO? I never get a failed error message. When I do the same thing in my laptop it gets to 30% and says a file in the base system section failed the checksum. What can I do to get a good CD?

Thanks

Given that your ISO image checked out, I would guess that your CD was bad. I run into bad CDs all the time. I've even seen a package for which a good third of the CDs had visible imperfections along the writable surface. Try burning another one and try it out.

Also, I'm a bit confused about the check that you ran. Does Ubuntu have some sort of CD checker for its boot process? I didn't notice one the last time I booted to a live CD.

Question Cd

Hello,

I'm using the alternate CD not the Live CD but both CDs have an option on the boot menu, towards the middle or bottom, to "Check the CD for defects." I think you are right about the ISO being OK so I'll try another CD.

Thanks

I never bother with the "media check". If it installs ok, your fine. It could be a bug in the media checking feature.
    $whatis microsoft
    microsoft: nothing appropriate

If you try another cd and you are still having problems you may want to check the cd-rom, I have a dell that did the same thing and it ended up being the cd-rom. Although my dell is a bit older than yours, it is still something to look at.

Edit: If it ends up maybe being the cd-rom you may be-able to upgrade the firmware on the cd-rom.
    Last edited by mrrangerman43; 12-07-2006 at 07:17 PM.

I have had this happen when a cd-rom went bad on me before. It destroyed about 10 of my CD's before I realized what was happening.

Question CD-R or CD-RW???

Hello,

Well, I have a tendancy of being anal about things, see my POST HERE. Anyway, because I'm a Newbie at Linux I have been using a CD-RW or rather a 5 pack of CD-RWs to mess with Fedora, Suse, Ubuntu, puppy, etc. I think the life of those CDRWs is coming to a close because I put Ubuntu 6.10 on a CD-R this morning and did a "media check" on both of my computers and it passed with flying colors both times!!!

So, I'm anal because I have this on a CD-R and when a newer version comes out I'll have to burn it on another CD-R. I know CD-Rs are cheap but it would be easier to erase the CDRW and burn the new version on there. Any opinions on what everyone else prefers?

Also, I think I'm going to use Ubuntu to "learn Linux" meaning I'm going to stop screwing around and running away because something doesn't act like Windows. Someone said in one of my posts to get Ubuntu (or any distro) setup like I want it and working like I want it to and I should be OK. So, if something is happening or not happening like I want it to I need to fix it and that might mean posting here or researching here or elsewhere.

Thanks for everyone's continuing help, support, and encouragement.

Ubuntu, excellent choice. Also, do a search for ubuntuforums. Many of the people on those forums were 100% Microsoft before switching, and they've already been through most of the challenges you will face.

I recommend CD-RW, because I care about the environment. We all depend on each other in this world. Using CD-RW's will usually cause less CD's to end up in landfills.

Transplanted from beautiful La Quinta, CA to Long Beach, CA...there are no stars here at night!
    You may also find that your problem is attributable to a fast burn speed.

If you're still having problems, notch that speed down to about half of the specified top burn speed for the media you're using, and see what you get out of it.