K3B on one machine, DVD burner on another?

Thread: K3B on one machine, DVD burner on another?

K3B on one machine, DVD burner on another?

Hi
    Googling's just brought a lot of confused waifs and strays to my door, so...
    I have a machine, headless, running CentOS4 in runlevel 3. It's my F/W, gateway, etc. It also has a DVD burner.
    I access this machine from a terminal on a laptop (Mandriva ONE). Laptop has no (capability of) a burner, so I'd like to somehow use the front-end of K3B on the laptop to access the /dev/hdc (CentOS calls it /media/cdrecorder) in the headless machine (i.e., the burner)
    Currently I can do it by putting the headless machine into runlevel 5 (init 5) and using X forwarding (X -query 192.168.1.1) to bring its KDE, thus K3B display on the laptop.

So, better surely to leave the dvd burning machine in non-KDE mode, and nfs(?) to the burner from the laptop.
    Anyone done this? Do I have to get into udev or similar stuff?
    -Cheers
    -Andy

simply said, K3B is a GUI frontend that takes the commands you mean to do in the GUI and translate them into words for use in CLI with cdrecord.

You can either learn cdrecord, or run K3b in your laptop and force it to burn (thus making an error with the equivilent command it runs). Then, you can run the command on the headless machine.
    Come under the reign of the Idiot King...
    Come to me ... I love linux!

Registered Linux user: Idiot King #350544

I think he's looking for something more like a networked block device, which the last time I checked doesn't support removeable media types (i.e. optical drives). This exact same functionality was exactly what I was looking for when I looked that up, to buy just one kick-*** DVD burner to share across my network to all of my desktops.

AHA!
    Ok, I think you've given me a clue...
    As you rightly say, K3B is no more than an (unfinished) Gooey to cdrecord, growisofs, etc.
    So...Maybe nfs to copies of the required programs on the same (burner-equipped) machine - chroot jail? - and K3B runs the required progs. on the headless, not the laptop. So, I need to find how to change the path that K3B is going to use. Simpler than I thought if it works....
    Wonder if that's possible? K3B documentation is fairly lame when it comes to this sort of level, however.
    -Comments?

-Cheers
    -Andy

Unless I misunderstand you, I don't think that will work. You could run copies of those apps from NFS, but they'd still apply to your local machine. The only way I can see to do this would be to tell K3B to ssh to the burner machine and run the commands there, but I'm guessing it doesn't support that.

Is there any reason for you not to just put the burner in your main system? Or just run K3B through ssh? You don't even need to have X running on the burner machine, it can just forward it to your local machine.

maybe this is what you're looking for?
    http://joerghaeger.de/webCDwriter/
    It's a web based app that will allow you to make CD/DVDs from any networked machine (java client)...close?

Firstly, K3b isn't unfinished to me. Its designed to be a nero replacement for 1 machine.

If I've read you correctly, you are trying to burn some data from an NFS drive onto a headless machine's CD burner using the display from your laptop. If that is the case, you should be learning the cdrecord/growisofs commands to do so instead. (and yes, you'll still be needing the ssh, but you may not need the k3b and X forwarding.)

well, have you seen nero's documents on over-the-network burning? I doubt so. NFS is only good for sharing the data you need. Don't try to install k3b onto it. and chroot jail also doesn't work for such a case. (chroot jail isn't used for that, btw)

what I can see is that you are trying something fancy. Please don't. if ssh + X forwarding + k3b over the net works for you, there isn't a need to change. If you really needed the space on your headless machine, try out the alternative methods proposed (and get super-used to them) before removing the excess instances of X and k3b. Or else just buy a hard disc for your headless machine and forget about the matter.

Hi, XiaoKJ
    Sure, I could use X forwarding (switching to runlevel 5) or buy a bigger disk.
    By the same token I guess Edmund Hilary could've flown by helicopter to the top of Everest - it'd have been a lot easier

Point is, can I do it, and if so, can I learn something else along the way? If so, will it help someone else? Looking at the 'google' results for this problem, I am certainly not alone. Good candidate for a Webmin/usermin module? (If you see me play pool, you'll notice I usually play the most difficult shots, given a choice. I don't learn much from a simple pot)

Only problem with learning cdrecord, etc is that I already have enough coffee-mats

Already picked up on shfs 'en passant', and reminded me of my NFS learning of a couple of years ago. (shfs seems to solve the major gripe on the Nvu editor's discussion forum, viz. insecure FTP to upload. Lot of sites won't allow it. Glad I stumbled on that lil' treasure!)

Icarus - that Java client might be the kiddie! Will play. Thanks!

BTW, the 'unfinished' bit isn't a criticism, but really aimed at the fact it hasn't reached ver. 1 yet - if a tool is at 0.x.y, it kinda implies the designers themselves realise it aint done either. E.g., the error messages that even K3B doesn't translate. Nero is for winder$, and I'd expect very little geekery, but in an O.S tool, I'd expect more.... Maybe reading K3B source code could come up with a few gems, though...

-Cheers
    -Andy

well, use a cd-rw is you want to really learn cdrecord.

Really, NFS for data and cdrecord over the net is the best way to go (for learning)

AFAIK, k3b is meant to be run on 1 computer. then don't stretch its limits.

Quote Originally Posted by XiaoKJ
    well, use a cd-rw is you want to really learn cdrecord.

Really, NFS for data and cdrecord over the net is the best way to go (for learning)

AFAIK, k3b is meant to be run on 1 computer. then don't stretch its limits.
    Agreed. You're not just taking the more complicated route, you're trying to shoehorn apps into places they weren't intended to go. If you want the really complicated route I suppose you could add support for this to K3B...

If this is a new feature that will need to be programmed, I don't think K3b is the place to do it. I think it would be much better to write a generic protocol for sharing removeable drives over a network to appear local, then cdrecord and dvdrwtools would work natively on the remote drive without having to know it. Most "easily" probably to add removable media support to the network block device "drivers".

Transplanted from beautiful La Quinta, CA to Long Beach, CA...there are no stars here at night!
    Maybe I'm missing something, Andy, but what's wrong with logging-in via SSh and running cdrecord/mkisofs/growisofs on the remote machine, none of which are all that difficult to learn to use?

If the remote machine isn't much of a speed demon, enabling X forwarding under runlevel 5 will only increase the chances that you're going to trash some writable media--particularly with the wire traffic that will need to be handled.

but what's wrong with logging-in via SSh and running cdrecord/mkisofs/growisofs on the remote machine, none of which are all that difficult to learn to use?
    Hi
    Nothing at all. (Except I tried it this morning, and got all sorts of errors - learning process continues )
    I thought it might be convenient if there wasn't too much effort involved, that's all. Drag'n' drop is a sod from the command line
    Did find, in the man page of cdrecord, the bit about REMOTE:user@host which might be interesting...so maybe no need to ssh to the other machine. Create an unprivileged user, and all
    (Would've found this earlier, but Mandrake ONE - the live/installable single CD 'tryout' - amazingly doesn't seem to contain the man or apropos commands...)
    -Andy

I ran across something on Freshmeat today called BashBurn that is a command line based (Bash) burning app. It's sure not fancy but it will get the job done with less learning curve.