Repair jpeg

Thread: Repair jpeg

Repair jpeg

I have some photos on a cd that I burnt on a different machine that are corrupt. Is there anyway to get them back or are they gone for good.
    Is there any software for Linux that repairs .jpeg files.

What exactly is wrong with them? Are the files corrupt so they won't display at all or do they just display wrong? If they're displaying wrong you could try a few different apps (Gimp, Firefox, Krita, etc.) and see if any of them can get them looking right. I unfortunately have run into this a couple of times on my own files (and a few times on other people's files, which makes me suspect that it may not be the files' fault)), and I'm not really sure why it happens. You could also try them on another computer entirely (maybe if Windows if you get desperate) and see if it's just your system. I think most jpeg viewers probably use the same underlying library, so if there's a bug in it then it could screw up all of them.

I don't know if that helps, but it's the extent of my knowledge about fixing corrupted jpegs.

They are so corrupt they can not be displayed on linux or my work Win XP laptop.
    I will try Photrec tomorrow.

i had a similar thread... have a look at this:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-304755.html

Which was better the perl script or Photorec ?

why not try both and find out
    ive had very good luck with photorec on recovering tons of files, the latest WIP version supports tons of file formats and a simple photo grabbing app is now a very powerful datamining tool