Comments on hardware selection

Thread: Comments on hardware selection

Comments on hardware selection

Hello, I am getting ready to build my own system. Been looking about and have figured the components below should suit my needs / wants and all for about $1500.00 - 1600.00 with tax and shipping (total cost before tax and shipping = $1,241.91.

Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-M55plus-S3G NVIDIA® GeForce™ 6100 + nForce™ 430 Socket AM2 ATX Motherboard Gigabyte: FRYS.com #: 4885970 - $ 89.00

CPU
    AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 4000+ with Enhance Virus Protection* - ADA4000BNBOX - Box CPU - Socket 939 AMD: FRYS.com #: 5017765 - $ 112.00

CPU Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9500 AM2 Socket 754/939/940/AM2 CPU Cooler Socket 754/939/940/AM2 CPU Coolers: FRYS.com #: 4879250 - $ 59.99

Arctic Silver 5 Premium Silver Polysynthetic Thermal Compound 3.5 Gram Tube Artic Silver: FRYS.com #: 3820817 - $ 5.99

PC Case
    Tricod 8078 450W Mid Tower Case Tricod: FRYS.com #: 4814500 - $ 59.99

Random Access Memory
    OCZ DDR2 2GB (2x1GB) PC2-6400 800MHz Dual Channel Kit - OCZ2P8002GK OCZ: FRYS.com #: 4815800 - $ 229.99

Hard Drives
    MXT-L01M100 100GB RETAIL MAXTOR: FRYS.com #: 4551457 - $ 74.99

MXT 7H500F0 500GB SATA. MAXTOR: FRYS.com #: 5080555 - $ 199.99

Optical Drives
    MEMOREX 16x16 DUAL FORMAT INTERNAL DVD±RW & 4x DOUBLE LAYER DVD+R DRIVE Memorex: FRYS.com #: 4367295 - $ 59.99

Video Card
    PNY Nvidia 7600GS 512MB PCI-Express PNY(Graphic Card): FRYS.com #: 4920801 - $ 149.99

Sound Card
    SOUNDBLSTR X-FI FATALITY CREATIVE LABS: FRYS.com #: 4559427 - $ 199.99

This is going to be used to work with digital photos, create DVD's from said digital photos as well as be my home stereo system. Eventually I will look into building a MythTV system but first I want to get this up and running. My goal is to have all the components in hand by May so I can assemble. The main reason I am posting here is if anyone has suggestions for hardware based on performance improvement and cost reduction. please tell me. This is my first system in a long time my current system is an old clunker AMD Duron 800MHz with 512MB of RAM, and it can't do what I want it too without choking and dying.

Oh and this new system will also be my first attempt at a Gentoo stage 1 install. I figure if I am going to have a fast set of components I might as well go with an OS / application compiled to optimize the hardware capacity.

Thank you for any constructive criticisms / advice you have!

Oh and this new system will also be my first attempt at a Gentoo stage 1 install. I figure if I am going to have a fast set of components I might as well go with an OS / application compiled to optimize the hardware capacity.
    first of all good job in picking gentoo. I use gentoo did a stage one ona AMD XP alth machine and it hauls . i have done stage 1 , 2 and 3.

I would first make sure all your hardware is compatilbe with GNU/Linux. it would be stupid to order parts that won't work to the max if your spending that kind of money for a new PC

what do you tend to use your machine for ? It sounds like your be using it for audio and heavy graphics ? I would get the best sound card you can that linux supports. as far as graphic cards. as you know Linux isnt great for gaming its good but its not up to speed for that part . woki has some good releases.

so if you do plan on doing gaming you might have to turn to windows to run them. Thats the only down side i can see from your specs. It will be a killer machine. what

2 gigs of ram well be plenty. i run 1.5 and im happy with it.
    "Software is like sex: it's better when its free."
    -LINUS TORVALDS

No games.

No time for playing games. Just futzing about with photos takes up enough of my precious time as it is. All the hardware was pulled from outpost.com this afternoon, so I would say it's pretty new. Fry's doesn't stock too much that is old from what I can see.

As for the audio, since my place is getting smaller soon for a while, so I am looking to get rid of my stereo (nice Sansui), well actually put it in storage for a while, so I am going to use my PC as my audio station as well. Plus since I need to edit some of the sound tracks to get them to play at a sane volume on the DVD's I am building, I need to have a decent sound card.

The only two areas that I can't seem to find hard data on compatibility are the sound card and optical drive. But since my current DVD burner is functional... I and it's a Memorex drive I am going to assume the new one should function as well. The sound card is a Creative Labs, I haven't seen the same model on any lists so I am a little more concerned with that one.

One of the main reasons I am posting here is so I can get a second opinion on my selection of parts and compatibility. One other thing is the fact I was going to select an Athlon XP AM, but I am not 100% sure on how to set that up yet. Still reading up on it.

But some of the reasons I am building such a powerhouse PC are:
    1. This system will have to carry me for the next 5-10 years, like my last one carried me 8 (with a few minor upgrades)

2. Processing DVD files, if they succeed takes a painfully long time right now. So I want the power to process them in a more reasonable amount of time.

3. I want to use a Gentoo system for the ability to maximize speed and performance but the one system I have right now is my only system and I have too many valuable photos and projects to risk losing them. I want to do a stage one on a virgin system. so if it barfs, no harm no foul. My photos are backed up, but many of my projects are not and are at various stages where they cannot be.

Once I move to a larger place, I will look into building a MythTV system so I can store back-up my DVD's (354 of them) as well as start recording my favorite programs and watch them without commercials. I figure I pay for my cable already, I shouldn't have to be annoyed by ads.

Anyhow, hope that clears things up.

Thank you.

you picked a cpu that doesn't fit your motherboard --- motherboard is AM2 while cpu is 939...

Gentoo no longer recommends a stage 1 install. Instead, install from stage 3, change all the changeable settings, and follow all the stage 1 and 2 topics to return to a stage 3.

I've been trying to make a stage 1 install of Gentoo AMD64 for some time not and its not very easy. The stage 1 tarballs are very outdated, making any install troublesome.

Why did you pick a motherboard with integrated graphics when you are going to buy one full card? Its quite a waste...

nForce 430? I'm using 1 right now, but I needed the integrated graphics. If you really wanted such a high end computer, you should get a better motherboard than that.

EDIT:: nForce 430 is rather low in real features. And I don't think it supports DDR2 ram. (Another problem in your selection)
    Anyway, if you are considering any integrated components, you had better make sure they are supported in Linux. When I first got my 430, the network chip is only supported by Nvidia's nforce ethernet driver, and the in-development kernel forcedeth driver.
    Last edited by XiaoKJ; 01-08-2007 at 08:08 AM.
    Come under the reign of the Idiot King...
    Come to me ... I love linux!

Registered Linux user: Idiot King #350544

yeah, your cpu won't fit your MoBo, and that X-fi sound card is unsupported. You've got onboard video and audio, so if gaming isn't your thing I'd drop those cards.
    Anyway, if you want to build a "monster" PC you should probably be looking at a socket 939 dual-core athlon 64, also, I recommend Corsair Value RAM over all other types...
    </my_$.02>

EDIT: Oh yeah, don't waste your time on a stage1 gentoo install...there's no such thing anymore...
    If you want every last thing on your system to respect your make.conf, once you get the base system installed, you just emerge -e world.
    Last edited by je_fro; 01-08-2007 at 10:05 AM.
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

If you are ever going to need virtualisation, AM2 will be a "must" investment. It makes sure that, without even checking, that your PC has virtualisation support.
    Come under the reign of the Idiot King...
    Come to me ... I love linux!

Registered Linux user: Idiot King #350544

For a good monster PC I'd do something like this: https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion...itle=justlinux
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

Wow, and this is why I posted my wish list!

Thanks for the catch on the hardware mismatch. As for onboard video, I haven't been able to locate a motherboard that comes without it anymore. Guess I need to look harder.

Okay time to revise my dream system and re-post.

Jefro, thanks for the wish list you posted, I will check it out and select anything from it that strikes my fancy.

Here take a look.

People around me have had lots of problems with Maxtor HDDs lately. (and i had also 2 die during last few years). Another thing is that they make quite lot of noise, so for audio box I would choose something less audible.

You might want to look for Samsung, which makes almost silent hard drives or Seagate instead.

To look for a supported sound card, check here:
    http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/

From my own experience SB Audigy 2 ZS works fine. It's not a great soundcard, but it's well supported and fine for basic stuff.

M-Audio Audiophile 2496 is also well supported I hear. Even these lower end professional grade sound cards are way better than any of Creative's stuff. Im not an audiophile, but i have some friends who are and they always tell me so. It should be good enough for home studio use. If you will have your PC plugged into home theater it might be worth it (80$ or something?).
    ladoga