something strange after installing suse 10.2

Thread: something strange after installing suse 10.2

something strange after installing suse 10.2

I have just performed an internet installation of Opensuse 10.2. (Left it unattended over the weekend)
    But something strange has happened.

After the installation, I cannot log on to the system because there is no user created on the system (including root!).

I am puzzled with this. How was it possible to have installed linux without a user!

In my attempt to correct the issue, I have tried to use the rescue system to change password for root. But the response i get is that the authentication mechanism cannot identify the user.

Any ideas how this could have happened?
    What's the course of action to take to correct - install from scratch?

cheers

To correct, I suggest you boot a LiveCD and copy the /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow and /etc/group over.

Make sure you set a root password first, though!

The only thing I can think of that would cause this is a script that failed or isn't included (by mistake) on the Internet Install that would normally create the users.

Nice problem, BTW: for BAD problems, you need Windows but for REALLY strange, you need Linux!

James
    -----------------------------
    UseLinux.net

perl -e 'use Math::Complex;$|=1;for$r(0..24){for$c (0..79){$C=cplx(($c/20.0)-3.0,-($r/12.0)+1.0);$Z= cplx(0,0);for($i=0;($i<80)&&(abs($Z)<2.0);$i++){$Z =$Z*$Z+$C;}print$i>=80?"*":" ";}print"\n";}'

Make sure you set a root password first, though!
    James
    Thanks. But that's what I tried to do using the system rescue. However the system responds that the user cannot be identified by the authentication mechanism.

Can system rescue not do the trick instead of the live cd?

cheers

I wouldn't have thought so. Since the Rescue system will still read the /etc/passwd file, it will realise that there is not root user. Since there's no root user, it doesn't know that user even exists (it's not hard-coded) and there's no corresponding password. Root is not a "default" account in the absence of any other.

Sorry, but this is yet another reason for me to keep a live CD lying around. Knoppix still works the best IMO.

James
    UseLinux.net

perl -e 'use Math::Complex;$|=1;for$r(0..24){for$c (0..79){$C=cplx(($c/20.0)-3.0,-($r/12.0)+1.0);$Z= cplx(0,0);for($i=0;($i<80)&&(abs($Z)<2.0);$i++){$Z =$Z*$Z+$C;}print$i>=80?"*":" ";}print"\n";}'

In my attempt to correct the issue, I have tried to use the rescue system to change password for root. But the response i get is that the authentication mechanism cannot identify the user.
    Are you sure you did it correctly, by mounting the partition, using 'chroot' for the new mount point, and _then_ using passwd root?
    (btw: you probably already know this, but just incase, the root user does not show in the GUI kdm/gdm login window)

But that's what I tried to do using the system rescue. However the system responds that the user cannot be identified by the authentication mechanism.
    I think he means copying the live cd's /etc/shadow,passwd and group files to the system.
    But if the system is that messed up, it may be worth re-installing (unless that's the only problem)

Get a friend to download the dvd for you, if that is not an option you can get a copy at the local magazine rack, this is your lucky month.

http://www.linux-magazine.com/issue/75