Thread: Problem with pkg-config on Slackware 10.2

Problem with pkg-config on Slackware 10.2

I tried installing Gaim2 beta5 and got this error during ./configure:

checking for IceConnectionNumber in -lICE... yes
    checking for GTK... no
    configure: error:

You must have the GTK+ 2.0 development headers installed to compile Gaim's
    GTK+ interface. If you only want to build the console interface then
    specify --disable-gtkui when running configure.
    Angry because I do have GTK 2.0 installed (Gimp works..), I tried installing GTK 2.10.0. During ./configure, I got this error:

checking for pkg-config... /usr/local/bin/pkg-config
    checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
    checking for BASE_DEPENDENCIES... configure: error: Package requirements (glib-2.0 >= 2.12.0 atk >= 1.9.0 pango >= 1.13.0 cairo >= 1.2.0) were not met:

No package 'atk' found
    No package 'pango' found
    No package 'cairo' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
    installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables BASE_DEPENDENCIES_CFLAGS
    and BASE_DEPENDENCIES_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
    See the pkg-config man page for more details.
    Looking at pkgtool -> view, I DO have the correct versions (or newer) of atk, pango and cairo installed.

What's the problem? I've been having problems like this since I first installed Slackware 10.2.

checking for pkg-config... /usr/local/bin/pkg-config
    Since you have installed pkg-config in /usr/local, then you must set your PKG_CONFIG_PATH accordingly before running ./configure:
    Code:
    export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH

Thanks. That seemed to solve that problem but now I get this error, also during ./configure:

checking for dlopen... no
    checking for dlopen in -ldl... yes
    checking for the %z format string in strftime()... yes
    checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... ./configure: line 24465: /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:: No such file or directory
    no
    checking for GLIB... no
    configure: error:

You must have the GLib 2.0 development headers installed to build Gaim.

/configure: line 24465: /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:: No such file or directory
    I guess you did a mistake when typing the export command that's why your path is looking strange. Just re-type it carefully and start over. Or if you're using csh try:
    Code:
    setenv PKG_CONFIG_PATH /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH

Seems correct.. I've tried typing it over and over with no luck.

I tried updating GTK. I am having a problem during build.. I'm thinking if I update GTK, Gaim 2.0 beta5 will be able to compile. I am getting this error though:

/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link gcc -DG_DISABLE_DEPRECATED -g -O2 -Wall -o gtk-query-immodules-2.0 queryimmodules.o libgtk-x11-2.0.la ../gdk-pixbuf/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.la ../gdk/libgdk-x11-2.0.la
    gcc -DG_DISABLE_DEPRECATED -g -O2 -Wall -o .libs/gtk-query-immodules-2.0 queryimmodules.o ./.libs/libgtk-x11-2.0.so -L/usr/local/lib /home/acid/downloads/gtk+-2.10.0/gdk/.libs/libgdk-x11-2.0.so -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/X11/lib /usr/lib/libatk-1.0.so ../gdk-pixbuf/.libs/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so ../gdk/.libs/libgdk-x11-2.0.so -lXrandr -lXinerama /usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so /usr/lib/libpangoft2-1.0.so /usr/lib/libpango-1.0.so /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so /usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so /usr/local/lib/libpango-1.0.so /usr/lib/libcairo.so /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so -lpng12 -lSM -lICE /usr/X11R6/lib/libfontconfig.so /usr/lib/libfreetype.so -lz /usr/lib/libexpat.so -lXcursor -lXrender -lXext -lXfixes -lX11 /home/acid/downloads/gtk+-2.10.0/gdk-pixbuf/.libs/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so /usr/local/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so -ldl /usr/local/lib/libgobject-2.0.so /usr/local/lib/libglib-2.0.so -lrt -lm
    ./.libs/libgtk-x11-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_bookmark_file_get_title'
    ./.libs/libgtk-x11-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_bookmark_file_get_is_private'
    ./.libs/libgtk-x11-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_bookmark_file_set_description'
    ./.libs/libgtk-x11-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_bookmark_file_get_size'
    ./.libs/libgtk-x11-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_bookmark_file_free'
    ./.libs/libgtk-x11-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_type_register_static_simple'
    /usr/lib/libcairo.so: undefined reference to `FT_GlyphSlot_Embolden'
    ./.libs/libgtk-x11-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_bookmark_file_load_from_file'
    ./.libs/libgtk-x11-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_bookmark_file_get_visited'
    ./.libs/libgtk-x11-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_bookmark_file_get_modified'
    ./.libs/libgtk-x11-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_key_file_set_double'
    ./.libs/libgtk-x11-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_bookmark_file_set_mime_type'
    ./.libs/libgtk-x11-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_bookmark_file_set_is_private'
    ./.libs/libgtk-x11-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_bookmark_file_has_item'
    ./.libs/libgtk-x11-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_key_file_get_double'
    ./.libs/libgtk-x11-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_bookmark_file_get_applications'
    ./.libs/libgtk-x11-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_bookmark_file_get_uris'
    ./.libs/libgtk-x11-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_bookmark_file_new'
    ./.libs/libgtk-x11-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_bookmark_file_get_description'
    ./.libs/libgtk-x11-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_bookmark_file_set_title'
    ./.libs/libgtk-x11-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_bookmark_file_to_file'
    ./.libs/libgtk-x11-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_bookmark_file_add_group'
    ./.libs/libgtk-x11-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_bookmark_file_add_application'
    ./.libs/libgtk-x11-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_bookmark_file_remove_item'
    ./.libs/libgtk-x11-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_bookmark_file_get_mime_type'
    ./.libs/libgtk-x11-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_bookmark_file_move_item'
    ./.libs/libgtk-x11-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_bookmark_file_get_groups'
    ./.libs/libgtk-x11-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_bookmark_file_get_app_info'
    ./.libs/libgtk-x11-2.0.so: undefined reference to `g_bookmark_file_get_added'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[4]: *** [gtk-query-immodules-2.0] Error 1
    make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/cid/downloads/gtk+-2.10.0/gtk'
    make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/cid/downloads/gtk+-2.10.0/gtk'
    make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/cid/downloads/gtk+-2.10.0/gtk'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/cid/downloads/gtk+-2.10.0'
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    One thing I want to note is that I have multiple versions of some files. For example:

/usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so.0.600.6
    /usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so.0
    /usr/lib/libgmodule-1.2.so.0.0.10
    /usr/lib/libgmodule.a
    /usr/lib/libgmodule.la
    /usr/lib/libgmodule-1.2.so.0
    /usr/lib/libgmodule.so
    /usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.la
    /usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so
    /usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so.0.1000.3
    /usr/local/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so.0.1200.2
    /usr/local/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so.0
    /usr/local/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so
    /usr/local/lib/libgmodule-2.0.la
    /usr/local/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so.0.1200.7
    /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0.600.6
    /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
    /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.la
    /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so
    /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0.1000.3
    /usr/local/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0.1200.2
    /usr/local/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
    /usr/local/lib/libglib-2.0.so
    /usr/local/lib/libglib-2.0.la
    /usr/local/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0.1200.7
    /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0.600.6
    /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
    /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.la
    /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so
    /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0.1000.3
    /usr/local/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0.1200.2
    /usr/local/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
    /usr/local/lib/libgobject-2.0.so
    /usr/local/lib/libgobject-2.0.la
    /usr/local/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0.1200.7
    Could this be causing problems? Should I remove anything before trying to build GTK 2.10.0?

I did update glib also. If I don't need to compile GTK 2.10.0, then I won't. I really just want to get Gaim 2 working. Thank you.
    Last edited by movEAX_444; 01-12-2007 at 10:53 PM.

I got Gaim2 beta5 to configure just by running "./configure" as "su -" (with the dash) and adding the export PKG_CONFIG_PATH line directly before the GTK test in 'configure'

$ su -
    # vim configure (change posted below)
    # ./configure

echo $ECHO_N "checking for GTK... $ECHO_C" >&6
    export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH

if test -n "$PKG_CONFIG"; then
    What does this mean? Do I have some environmental variables missing or messed up for my regular user account?

I cannot complete the build, 'make' gives me
    /usr/lib/libcairo.so: undefined reference to `FT_GlyphSlot_Embolden'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    Last edited by movEAX_444; 01-14-2007 at 01:14 PM.

I had freetype2 installed twice. There was a package installed with Slackware, which did not contain FT_GlyphSlot_Embolden because it's experimental.

I used 'locate libfreetype' and then used the command 'nm' on each version I found:

nm /usr/local/lib/libfreetype.so | grep "GlyphSlot_E"
    nm /usr/lib/libfreetype.so | grep "GlyphSlot_E"

The one in /usr/lib did not contain GlyphSlot_Embolden.

I added ftsynth.c to src/base/rules.mk of freetype2 and re-compiled it. I installed it twice, once in /usr/lib and another in /usr/local/lib. Gaim compiled.

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache...s&ct=clnk&cd=2

It wouldn't run, gave me 'gaim: error while loading shared libraries: libgaim.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory' until I ran 'ldconfig'

Now "$ gaim" just hangs..

Here is the output of "$ gaim -d" (I remove ~/.gaim)
    plugins: probing /usr/local/lib/gaim/relnot.so
    plugins: probing /usr/local/lib/gaim/spellchk.so
    plugins: probing /usr/local/lib/gaim/timestamp.so
    plugins: probing /usr/local/lib/gaim/timestamp_format.so
    util: Reading file accounts.xml from directory /home/acid/.gaim
    util: File /home/acid/.gaim/accounts.xml does not exist (this is not necessarily an error)
    util: Reading file status.xml from directory /home/acid/.gaim
    util: File /home/acid/.gaim/status.xml does not exist (this is not necessarily an error)

Worked Great

Quote Originally Posted by movEAX_444
    I had freetype2 installed twice. There was a package installed with Slackware, which did not contain FT_GlyphSlot_Embolden because it's experimental.

I used 'locate libfreetype' and then used the command 'nm' on each version I found:

nm /usr/local/lib/libfreetype.so | grep "GlyphSlot_E"
    nm /usr/lib/libfreetype.so | grep "GlyphSlot_E"

The one in /usr/lib did not contain GlyphSlot_Embolden.

I added ftsynth.c to src/base/rules.mk of freetype2 and re-compiled it. I installed it twice, once in /usr/lib and another in /usr/local/lib. Gaim compiled.
    I had the these problems compiling Pango and the latest GIMP.
    Fixing freetype did the job - I also installed the 2.3.1 and made the fix to rules. recompiled and removed the libs from /usr/local/lib.

the nm command responded correctly and compiling pango 0.16 worked and so did Gimp 2.3.14 under Slackware 11.0.

Thanks
    Rich