amarok and my CPU!!

Thread: amarok and my CPU!!

amarok and my CPU!!

Hi,

I am a great fan of Amarok as I really like the way it catalogues my music from lots of recursive folders into 1 easily searchable collection.

However, I am becoming a little tired of the side effects it has on my system.

Admittadly, I probably don't have it running in the best environment - I have a catalogue of 10,000 MP3s on a FAT32 disc running in FC6.

My main problem is that when I use Amarok, my very fast and stable system turns into a VERY VERY slow and highly unstable system. After Amaroke changes track, it will hog my CPU at 100% for at least 30-40 seconds. Also, whilst Amarok is playing, lots of other processes that otherwise run fine will start using 100% CPU and freezing. This includes Firefox, openoffice etc.... Any application that is open whilst amarok is playing is subject to random 100% CPU usage and freezing.

If I don't run Amarok, nothing like this happens.

Is anybody else experiencing this? Should I move my MP3s to an ext3 partition (which I will be enevitably doing, however this hanging is not a result of IOWait)? Or do I just have more MP3s than Amarok can handle?

I would like to keep using Amarok but it just makes my system so goddamn unstable!!!

Any ideas???
    If it doesn't fit, force it; if it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

P.S.

Its P4 3ghz W/2gb RAM running the xine engine and "watch collection for changes" is disabled...

Did you go to the Amarok page...... I googgled and found several answers.
    And for a fleeting second...I was not sure if I was a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or, a butterfly dreaming I was a man....Lao-tzu

Which distro, and which version of Amarok, on Suse 9.3 amarok when left open for a long period of time causes cpu overload, so far, under 10.2 it doesn't, 10.2 is using amarok 1.4
    Feel free to PM me for help

Using PCLinuxos 2007 on my laptop and 2009 on my Desktop and proud of it!

Desktop:
    AMD Phenom II x2 545 3GB DDR2 RAM 500GB SATA,250GB SATA, 250GB IDE, ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 DDR3
    Laptop:
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 (2.2) 2GB RAM, 160GB Sata HDD, nVidia 8600GM 512MB

Please come back and tell us if your problem is solved, it may help others, and stop us from wondering what happened.

Hmm. sometimes firefox or thunderbird randomly steal the cpu out from under me and I could never figure out why. Thinking back I do believe I was running amarok at the time. Though it happens really rarely. I used to have more songs cataloged than you without any hiccups. I am going to guess that it probably has something to do with fragmentation on the fat32 drive. Try defragging then run amarok again and see if there is any change
    -------------------------------------
    blobaugh
    lobaugh.net

All you ever need to know about Samba at O'Reillys (Online book)
    DSL Linux in your pocket.
    Need help choosing a distro? Distro Chooser
    My Screenies
    Table of Windows equivalent software on Linux
    Linux Games from Windows

What database option are you using? the SQLite is a horrible option for that many files, MySQL is much more efficient.
    Do you have all the songs loaded into a single playlist and use random? I had a problem with Amarok using a large play list where it would pause the whole system when switching tracks. Making small playlists (>100) solved that issue for me (even though it wasn't my first choice)

Yeah that makes sense. A buddy of mine uses MySQL to store his playlists and library. He says it is smoking fast
    -------------------------------------
    blobaugh
    lobaugh.net

All you ever need to know about Samba at O'Reillys (Online book)
    DSL Linux in your pocket.
    Need help choosing a distro? Distro Chooser
    My Screenies
    Table of Windows equivalent software on Linux
    Linux Games from Windows

another mysql++
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS

A hint of a solution: Since i am using a multimedia kernel, Amarok and most sound related programs run better. I was having trouble with program like Rosegarden and Ardour. That was due to some kernel that now run at a lower frequency in order to save 1 to 3 watt but these kernel dont do good for multimedia that needs low latency sound server (faster frequency). In the case of Amarok i do have about 40 gig of music in 2 different ext3 partition and all is running smooooth.

Linux Counter

Debian "Lenny"
    Mandriva 2010.2

"Where am I?" "In the Village." "What do you want?" "Information.""Whose side are you on?" "That would be telling.... We want information. Information! INFORMATION!"

Think I'll try setting it up in MySQL and post the results - its using SQLite at the moment.

Started using Juk a bit, but really like Amarok's lyric lookup and stuff

Same problem!

I have the same problem running Amarok on Ubuntu (Edgy), with my music stored on an ext3 formatted drive. Just doing nothing at all, Amarok sits there at 40-50% cpu, so I'm suspicious of the auto library update (not that I've tried switching it off , but surely it's using inotify and not polling?

I'm also using SQLite, so I'll try changing to MySQL and report back.

I have almost 10,000 mp3's on a network Samba share and had a heck of a time with getting it running smooth. Switching to a MySQL backend and small playlists (less then 1000) and take off that "watch folders for changes" made a world of difference.

Try that and see if it helps, otherwise it's something else...I haven't noticed any difference in using a different engine.